Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is exactly one week since I've been banded. Let me just say it has not been a great week by any means and for me the 5th and 6th day were the hardest. I still have some swelling and gas that just won't go away, but for the most part I'm getting better everyday. Although I struggle daily with hunger and what to eat as the Protein Shakes are getting sooo old and leave an awful after taste in my mouth now. I'm suppose to be on the liquid diet for one more week and have no clue how I'm going to get through it. I go see the doc on Monday and I plan on begging to be put on mushy foods....I might even cry if he says no!!! lol!! All kidding aside....I feel like I just NEED...NOT want....NEED solid food. Is there anyone else out there feeling this way??? Just wondering why I can't hack it when others seem to have no problem. ???? :unsure:

It was that bad for me! After the first week of Clear Liquids, I was allowed to do full liquids. That included runny oat meal and grits.

Being a southern girl, I lived on runny grits! I even added soft goat cheese to add some flavor I the quick instant ones. Hang in there it really sucks, but gets a

Lot

Better really soon! Drink a

Lot of Water. That helps to keep you full.

By the way, I told my surgeon I was starving at my one week follow up. He didn't have any sympathy! I begged for a fill and food. He wouldn't budge.

I have a feeling my surgeon will say the same thing. I didn't know I could have runny oatmeal and grits??? Can I????? Guess I'll be making a call to the doc in the morning!! lol!!

I am no expert, I was only banded on Tuesday and had clear liquids on Wednesday and now full liquids until day 14. Not excited about it but if it's what my Dr's says I need to do then that's what I'm going to do. I want to make sure that I heal properly and when it's time I will eat real food again, just a lot lot less. Luckily, I'm not hungry...I can barely get enough Protein in me, I got to remind myself to eat & drink more! Just try to focus on why you even went through with this surgery, we all have different but basically the same reasons. I knew I would never get to eat like I used to eat again and I'm okay with that, at least for now...losing 21lbs so far really gives me the motivation I need to stay on track. And remember this site is here specifically for that support, understanding and motivation we all need, 24/7 Hope it gets easier for you! Here if you need to talk, vent...whatever! :)

Speak with YOUR doctor. His/Her opinion is all that matters not what I or anyone else on this board has to say. I can tell you that I was on clears for 7 days then 7 days full liquids. Full Liquids were smooth Soups (tomato, squash) not blended chicken noodle etc. Grits/oatmeal are a mushie not a liquid. FYI I was scheduled to go to mushies on day 15. My first follow up was on day 12. I asked if I could move to mushies early. The answer "ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!" Not what I wanted to hear.

I would recommend spacing out your foods. broth first wait as long as possible and then the Protein shake. If necc. have more servings of the foods you are allowed instead of adding unauthorized items.

I aint braggin, but my doc let me have mushies 4 days out and soft foods 8 days out. It's his regular routine and after reading so many posts just like this one, I love my doc.

tmf

I aint braggin, but my doc let me have mushies 4 days out and soft foods 8 days out. It's his regular routine and after reading so many posts just like this one, I love my doc.

tmf

You are lucky!!! Very, very lucky!!

Tricia, I am also post op one week and feeling like I can't have one more Protein Shake. I also have swelling and bruising but am doing much better. Today I made a. Thinned out split pea Soup with milk to give it Protein and to surprise my taste buds. It was all liquid and had about two ounces but it did the trick. It's very hard to deal with the desire to eat and we are physically not able to. I know it will get better for us....hang in there. I wish you continued success.

All surgeons are different of course but he said he considered grit and oatmeal liquid if they were runny enough to drink through a straw, but don't use a straw! I either added extra Water to the grits or extra milk to the oatmeal. Good luck!

Today is exactly one week since I've been banded. Let me just say it has not been a great week by any means and for me the 5th and 6th day were the hardest. I still have some swelling and gas that just won't go away, but for the most part I'm getting better everyday. Although I struggle daily with hunger and what to eat as the Protein Shakes are getting sooo old and leave an awful after taste in my mouth now. I'm suppose to be on the liquid diet for one more week and have no clue how I'm going to get through it. I go see the doc on Monday and I plan on begging to be put on mushy foods....I might even cry if he says no!!! lol!! All kidding aside....I feel like I just NEED...NOT want....NEED solid food. Is there anyone else out there feeling this way??? Just wondering why I can't hack it when others seem to have no problem. ???? :unsure:

i'm almost 3 weeks post op and i had liquids for the first two weeks (and two weeks before that for pre-op) so i can tell you that by that last week i was so over liquids!! around this time is when your swelling is going down, so you start to get your hunger back. i went to my dr one week later and was hoping he'd put me on soft foods early, but they explained that they just want to make sure the stitches inside... where the band is stiched up, heal up completely and properly... thus keeping me on liquids. so just think that its for the best and to avoid problems in the long run! just plan ahead what you will have and when you finally have soft foods, it will be super special! :) you can make it... just... one... more.... week.... ! :)

Tricia you and I are in the same boat! I was banded July 13 and I am DYING for real food. I was on a liquid diet 10 days prior to surgery and now full liquid for 14 days after and I am so OVER broth and Protein Drinks. I see my doctor tomorrow and I am hoping I get a fill, my bf did and her follow-up. I'm not even wanting real real food I just can not wait for mushie so I can have eggs and ham salad.

Keep us posted with what happens at the doc tomorrow and I'll do the same :)

Tricia, I am also post op one week and feeling like I can't have one more Protein Shake. I also have swelling and bruising but am doing much better. Today I made a. Thinned out split pea Soup with milk to give it Protein and to surprise my taste buds. It was all liquid and had about two ounces but it did the trick. It's very hard to deal with the desire to eat and we are physically not able to. I know it will get better for us....hang in there. I wish you continued success.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I wish success to you too! :)

i'm almost 3 weeks post op and i had liquids for the first two weeks (and two weeks before that for pre-op) so i can tell you that by that last week i was so over liquids!! around this time is when your swelling is going down, so you start to get your hunger back. i went to my dr one week later and was hoping he'd put me on soft foods early, but they explained that they just want to make sure the stitches inside... where the band is stiched up, heal up completely and properly... thus keeping me on liquids. so just think that its for the best and to avoid problems in the long run! just plan ahead what you will have and when you finally have soft foods, it will be super special! :) you can make it... just... one... more.... week.... ! :)

Thanks for the encouraging kind words. It really does help to hear other peoples stories and struggles. Thanks again!! :)