Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking Shoes

I need a pair of very supportive walking shoes. I have Fibromyalgia and walking kills me. Any suggestions wouldbe greatly appreciated.

More and more shoes aren't being made with support :( You may be better off buying a shoe with a removable sole and buying a good quality insert instead. Try a Skecher or an Easy Spirit tennis shoe, they are some of the more supportive and comfortable tennis shoe and not overly expensive. They also have a removable insole. Good luck to you!

New Balance sneakers are great. On the expensive side (for me any way) but totally worth it.

I second the New Balance vote :)

Hello Muelle, I have weak ankles probably due to my large weight I am always falling all over the place. I can't wear sandals in the summer because of no ankle support. My entire closet is stacked with sneakers. If I wear shoes it has to be a strap around my ankle.

At my weight, I need not only comfort but support and stability and the only walking sneaker that does this for me is Skechers. Not to mention they are very fashionable. I buy all my Skechers Sneakers on line at www.shoebuy.com

You will be surprised how affordable they are, FREE shipping always and sometimes you can find a coupon code that makes the deal even sweeter. I find tons of online coupon codes at www.retailmenot.com

Best of luck...

Check out Brooks Addiction Walking shoes - again, expensive but give great support and have been my feet's permanent companions during my recent 6 month physical therapy to fix nt achilles tendonitis and fallen arches. Read up online reviews for shoes to help feet pain!

Thank you all for your insight!

I am going to chime in with my brand of choice in all types of shoes. Merrill is the best ever for me and I have flat feet and all types of foot problems. I have been wearing Merrills for over ten years, and they last. I shop online at Footsmart.com they carry all the brands mentioned above.

I live in Alabama, and we have a place called Fleet Feet. They watch how you walk, or even put you on a treadmill that is hooked up to a TV that shows your walking or running pattern. Then they will Fit you with the proper shoes. They are not like shoes you can can buy at a regular shoe store. They have different amounts of stabilizers in them. My newest pair is Brooks, but they have all kinds.

New Balance is excellent. Try several on because they have three different types of molds, where most only have one.

Merrill I have heard is great, but never tried them, because I have family that works for new balance and get discounts.

I use my local Big 5 Sporting goods store. They always have a great selection of shoes and at discounted prices. They carry Dr. Scholls walking shoes for special needs.

I actually used to be a runner! I did a lot of research on shoes for overweight people. The best one I found that was made for heavier people was the asics gel kayano. I also have used them for walking. A lot of support and cushion. Be careful of just buying a brand. Even within a good brand there are shoes for different body types.

I wear Asics Gel Foundation 10, and Asics GT 2160. They both have a lot of support (the second one more so) and come up to a size 12 or 13, and WW.

ive had 4 prs of skechers, i love them. soooo comfy !!! however, they're not cheap so i look for them at goodwill stores. some people wear them a few times and find them NOT comfortable, so they give them away and i buy them at goodwill for 10 bucks. you might want to try a 2nd hand pair and see how they do before you pay full price.