Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes Enough For A Breakfast Meal?

I noticed that a lot of folks use Protein Shakes, for various reasons.

I was wondering if I do try the shakes for Breakfast, will that be enough to fill me and support the role of breakfast being the most important meal?

For me is enough! I just got banded June 20 and I take 4oz for Breakfast sometimes! It will hold me till my snack time which is usually 2 to 3 hrs later!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Hi PBK,

Yes this is an essential part of your diet at this time, Your body still must have Protein, I personaly found using skim milk rather than Water does make it more fullfilling and should also fill you up. I will recomend to go the Vitamin Shope over GNC or any others because they have much better prices. Once you progress and are able to eat solid foods you will ween off the Protein shakes unless you choose not too. Some people have difficults eating beef or chicken to get the need Protein. I remember I had bought a Cookies and cream flavored shake mix, or you can get the unflavored and add it to fruit juice. Hope this helps and if i can be of any other assistance feel free to contact me my email address is on my profile. GOOD LUCK

Steve

I noticed that a lot of folks use Protein shakes' date=' for various reasons.

I was wondering if I do try the shakes for breakfast, will that be enough to fill me and support the role of breakfast being the most important meal?

[/quote']

Good quality Protein Shakes in morning are great. Give me more Protein than I can eat without it. I do Click protium latte ( click.com) has 15 grams protein. ) or I do a fruit smoothie with Protein powder, fresh fruit and sugar free jam.) blended with plain Greek yogurt - adds another 10-15 grams. Keeps me full and helps get in my protein requirements. I have hard time eating solids first time in morning so this helps. Good luck Suzie

CONGRATS SUZI, almost at half way mark BE PROUD of your acheivments !

I'm 2 1/2 years out and still have a Protein Shake for breakfast. Sometimes I make a fruit smoothie and add Protein Powder to it. But my band is too tight in the mornings for me to get food in. I have been working on muscle building since the beginning of the year along with my cardio so I need a lot of Protein.< /p>

Cool I was saying that to PBK that some people still continue taking Protein Shakes for one reason or another. Congrats to you! keep up the good work!

Will your results above apply to me? I was banded in 07, and am unfilled. I'm on the South Beach Diet until I see my posse at the hospital next week. I don't know if I'll be filled or discuss other options for WLS.

I LOVE your ideas for shakes! Have you ever checked out http://www.the worldaccordingtoeggface.com? She has a massive list of shake ideas.

i try to make sure i have breakfast. if i find at the end of the day i didn't get enough Protein, i'll have a Protein Shake then. it also tricks my food-addicted-brain into thinking it's having a milkshake LOL

That's what I plan to do right after surgery is to drink small sips of Protein.< /p>

I have pure Protein frosty chocolate already made in the can almost every morning just because I hate cooking breakfast except for weekends. My go to before was always something bad so i have my meds, wait an hour, then have a Protein Shake and a cup of coffee. I love them things...35g protein, 170 cals, 4 carbs. Can't beat it. One day a week I have a protein shake for breakfast, a high Protein Bar for lunch, and a very sensible and low carb dinner. I call it my jumpstart day...gets the stubborn off faster.

I noticed that a lot of folks use Protein Shakes, for various reasons.

I was wondering if I do try the shakes for breakfast, will that be enough to fill me and support the role of breakfast being the most important meal?

...i think it all depends on your lilfestyle. for me, its not the ideal breakfast, but im at home, dont have to rush of a morning. i have an egg and a piece of bacon... that takes me nearly an hour to eat. its a long time but i like to just take it slowly first thing. If you have a busy morning then the drinks are ideal. When Ive had to rush out early ive used them myself. As a rule though, i enjoy my time eating my breakfast so i take the time and have a substantial meal.

Steve, thank you. And congrats to you for hitting goal. Such a surreal feeling isnt it.

I noticed that a lot of folks use Protein shakes, for various reasons.

The important thing about breakfast isn't loading up on calories, it's jumpstarting your metabolism and fueling yourself with nutrients you need after a (hopefully) restful night without food. As long as you're getting a good helping of everything your body needs (protein, Vitamins, and minerals) you'll be off to a great start!

Personally, I can't stand having much more than a shake when I first get up anyway. I don't want to feel sluggish while my body digests something too 'involved' at the start of the day. ;)

i try to make sure i have breakfast. if i find at the end of the day i didn't get enough Protein, i'll have a Protein Shake then. it also tricks my food-addicted-brain into thinking it's having a milkshake LOL

To this day, I still get that guilty feeling from time to time. :P