Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Horrible Food Choices.

Hey guys,

Today I made some horrible food choices. Mostly carbs and not much Protein. I'm feeling like crap and need to pick myself back up. What are some things you do in order to get back on the wagon and make better choices?

Lauren

Go out for a big long run in the fresh air - never fails to make me feel less bloated and toxic after I've overeaten.

similar to how it feels when you're soooooo dog tired, its the last thing you want to do but exercise always picks you up! I dont WANT to run when I'm full of crap food but i always always feel better when I do.

The keys to me - fresh air and really working up a sweat. You could do that with hard, fast walking if you're not a runner. But it needs to be sort of punishment lol. I guess I get those endorphins going and it blows away the guilt and disappointment of having eaten the wrong things. I also need the mental relief of knowing I've burned like 700 or 800 calories. That really does undo most pig outs for me.

That's a really good idea. I could just throw on my sneakers, grab my dog and go. Unfortunately it's midnight here and I don't like running when it's dark. Before I gained a ton of weight, I was very much so a runner and getting back into running outside sounds like something I should definitely start doing. I think I will wake up early and run for at least 30 min tomorrow to kick start my brain. Thanks so much for the support, I really needed that.

I try and look at everyday as a fresh start. If you dwell on the mistakes, it becomes a vicious cycle where you comfort with more poor choices.

Tomorrow make a goal to get through one day.

Just one.

Then build on it.

Add another. And another.

Replace eating with a new habit or hobby.

You can do it. One bite at a time. One decision at a time.

If I have a bad day, I just evaluate what went wrong (emotional issues, head hunger, etc) and make a plan for the next day. If I'm feeling particularly wishy-washy and don't think I will make good choices, I sit down the night before and plan out/pack my meals.

Just acknowledge the problem and then move on. No need to beat yourself up about it.

Get a walk in and realize that this will happen from time to time as we are all human and tomorrow is a new day

I keep prepared Snacks around so if i make a poor choice i have something ready to go the next time im tempted. Baby carrots, raw nuts , apple slices and veggie chips are some favorites. Also sourdough toast crisps with skinny cow cheese really can hit the spot ! Good luck !

Thanks everyone. Today I was under my calorie goal which is good, but I managed to gain about 4lbs with one day of eating bad. Ugh, tomorrow is a new day packed full of protein!

I think you should evaluate how much sodium you consumed. If you stayed under your calories but gained weight, (that doesn't make much sense to me sorry) I think the salt content has caused some Water retention.

I also agree with what the others have stated, don't beat yourself up about it. Make choices to eat better tomorrow. Plan out your meals/snacks. Go do something physical that makes you happy. it could be as small as just cranking up the radio or some good music and dancing around your living room/house. ;)