Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications With Lap Band 4 Years Out

I just wanted to share some experience with self pay banisters or people new to lap band.

I was banded in 2008 and self pay. I flew to Detroit from Maryland for my band and I literally pay my local doctor a fee to fill or unfill my band. He will do pretty much whatever I want cause no insurance is involved.

In the time I have had the band I've lost about 80-85 lbs. but I've completely abused the band. I eat whatever and whenever I want knowing I will vomit or can easily vomit up the food if I choose. I have crazy acid problems at night and will aspirate in my sleep. I never really exercise and rarely gave much thought to the food I put in.

Recently, I found myself at the bathroom of my job vomiting up bright red blood. I cannot tell anyone who has been thought this how frightening it was. What a wake up call! All I could think about was how much I have abused this amazing tool over the years and how it has caught up with me. I knew I didn't really have medical support so I thought I would try to handle this before seeking outside help.

Since then I have made LIFE CHANGES rather than a quick fix like I was doing before. I cut out most meats and breads, this was always hard for me to digest. I really focused on fruits and veg. I stop eating before 7 at night, I never drink alcohol. I began taking an acid reducing tablet before bed and number one, I stopped releying on vomiting up food as a way to stay in control.

I'm no telling anybody who has gone though this not to seek help because you should. But I know how easy it is to fall into these horrible habits and please beware.

Hi...

Thank you for sharing, I know that had to be difficult. I am glad you are making changes but I hope you have contacted a doc about the bloody vomit to make sure there are no other problems.

Good luck and keep up the taking better care of yourself and your band.

Oh my gosh, I could have written that myself. I am over 2 years out and just recently went back to the dr for a fill. I havent lost the way I know I should have and am disgusted with myself. I have vomited in many bathrooms in many restaurants in my town. Reading your blog has been an eye opener to me. Just as I am finishing eating a piece of banana bread. I want to be thin so bad but continuously sabotage myself. Knowing what you are going through, I will definitely think about that before I put a piece of bread in my mouth again.

Now that you have made changes, how has that been for you. Have you started losing again.

cknight~~~ Bless you for posting this! And please rely on this site for any further help you may need. The support here is outstanding. I am here for you personally! Message me for anything. BIG HUG!

I also could've written most of this. I never realized how much I was abusing my band the last 2 1/2 yrs. I eat whatever I want (albeit in very small quantities) but I never eat truly healthy. I've been able to lose over 100 lbs basically because I eat like a bird and vomit frequently (or PB as most people here call it). Sometimes up to 6-8 x a week. I really feel that I turned into a bulimic. Traded one eating disorder for another.

Until 5 mths ago when I began experiencing severe reflux at nite. I would be up all nite, coughing and choking up stomach acid. I took 2 rx drugs and 1 OTC drug to keep it to a minimum (I'd hate to experience it without anything). I slept propped up on 3 pillows. My husband complains that he cant even snuggle with me cuz I have to sleep sitting up. All day long, I fight heartburn with tums.

About 2 mths ago, I finally went to the dr (was afraid they' d take out my band and I'd be fat again but I couldnt live like that anymore). They did an xray and found my band had slipped. Mr PA said its most likely from frquent vomiting. They took out 1/2 of my 9cc Fluid and let me rest 4 wks. The reflux stopped the very first nite! I was amazed. 4 wks later, he gave me 1cc. No restriciton whatsoever. So 2 wks later, he gave me another 1cc fill. I threw up my pills that nite. I had perfect restriction within a week -doing but the reflux is back with a vengeance. I never had a follow up xray to make sure it was corrected before I started getting filled again. So either the slip was never corrected or vomiting up my pills slipped it again.

Im out of state till this Tues, so I emailed my nurse. She said to come in when I got home and theyd figure something out. The clinic is 6 hrs round trip and $160 each time I go (not counting the xrays). My insurance only covered 1 yr of fills. No clue whats going to happen. Whether they can unfill me, get it positioned good and start the fills over again (and I already gained 5 lbs last mth when I was unfilled), or if I have to have surgery again. I look forward to the nite that I can sleep thru without gagging on acid.

So i know where ur coming from with the vomiting. Whatever it took to keep the weight off, I would tell myself. I know that when I eventually get this all sgraightened out, I' going to start treating my band with the care it deserves. I JUST HOPE I dont gain 20 lbs in the process.

Good luck to u starting over. Know that theres someone else here in similar circumstances. Message me if u want and we can track each others progress. I wish u the best. You deserve it.

Marci

So happy to hear from everybody! Prior to making the changes, I gained 10 lbs. I haven't been able to lose them yet with a better diet and exercise but I can say with all honesty that I feel better, mentally and physically. It's really hard to deal with weight gain after having been through so much. I really need to focus on losing it the right way now.

Thanks for the replys!

I feel like I'm reading about my own story! I too fell into a destructive pattern of binging & purging ( pbing) all the time :( I have lost incredible amts of weight with it but I realize it is so unhealthy.

Prior to being unfilled for brachioplasty in May I was maybe keeping 300 cals a day down. I gained 20 lbs during the month I was loosened! When I was filled again I got much less put back in but i

I feel like I'm reading about my own story! I too fell into a destructive pattern of binging & purging ( pbing) all the time :( I have lost incredible amts of weight with it but I realize it is so unhealthy.

Prior to being unfilled for brachioplasty in May I was maybe keeping 300 cals a day down. I gained 20 lbs during the month I was loosened! When I was filled again I got much less put back in but I'm starting to have difficulty again. Not as intentional this time though.

Finding that "sweet spot" is so damn hard! I'm hitting the, gym 4 days a week now & am scheduled for a slight unfill in 27 wks. I'm going to Aruba in 3 wks & I don't want to b miserable & pbing the whole time! Just wish I could find the right balance :(

Prior to being unfilled for brachioplasty in May I was maybe keeping 300 cals a day down. I gained 20 lbs during the month I was loosened! When I was filled again I got much less put back in but I'm starting to have difficulty again. Not as intentional this time though.

Finding that "sweet spot" is so damn hard! I'm hitting the, gym 4 days a week now & am scheduled for a slight unfill in 2 wks. I'm going to Aruba in 3 wks & I don't want to b miserable & pbing the whole time! Just wish I could find the right balance :(

I read so much about people throwing up with the lap band and hard as I've tried, I can't! I was a puker prior to lap band. I just wonder why. And it hurts like he'll when I try!

I read so much about people throwing up with the lap band and hard as I've tried, I can't! I was a puker prior to lap band. I just wonder why. And it hurts like he'll when I try!

PB and throwing up are two separate things- I would not purposely try to do either, as they can cause band slips. A PB is pretty much regurgitation of food that is above the pouch and has little to no stomach acid mixed in (this is what most talk about when they say vomit). Vomiting is full out vomit from below the band, which is dangerous with the band because the contents have to be pushed back through the tiny hole created by the band, making the chance of slip higher.

Cknight- thank you for sharing the reality of what CAN happen if youre not careful.

I would seek out an opinion from a physician on the vomiting of blood. Though it cold be band related, it could also be something else. And if it is band related, like a slippage, it could get worse. And also if you are still taking reflux meds, you should get hat checked too...possibly get some Fluid if not all of the Fluid taken out of your band so that it may heal. I know weight loss is all of our goals, but your health is what is the most important!

Please keep us updated :)