Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Curious, Radical Changes

Just curious, what radical changes have you made within your life (other than eating habits) while traveling down the lap band path? Divorce? Eyebrow piercing? Etc...

Well, in a matter of a year's time...

I divorced the world's biggest idiot, quit smoking, bought a house, and had Lap-Band surgery.

So really, my entire life is a huge radical change from this time last year :)

losing weight, wearing smaller clothes, walking easier again....(already got tats/pierdings)....yep. losing weight and feeling better is all i need

Part #2 of question: Do you think having the lap band done was a direct cause for changes?

Well' date=' in a matter of a year's time...

I divorced the world's biggest idiot, quit smoking, bought a house, and had Lap-Band surgery.

So really, my entire life is a huge radical change from this time last year :)[/quote']

WOW, Miz73, props to you!!! This should be an awesome year ahead for you.

Personally, I changed my haircolor again!

I've only been banded a few weeks and I don't expect many radical changes except getting thinner and being healthier... interesting thread! I will say I know several wls peeps (some band, some bypass) and all but 1 have been divorced since being banded so I think that happens more than we might expect but maybe that's just my friends. What about YOU?

Part #2 of question: Do you think having the lap band done was a direct cause for changes?

No, it was all a direct result of waking up one morning and saying to myself "you are miserable, time to make some drastic changes:

I haven't been banded yet but I can see myself making some drastic changes once the excess weight is gone. For instance, I want to go into Public Relations and I think once the weight is gone I'll have the confidence to go after it. For now though, all I've done is cut about 7 inches of hair off and started styling it a little. This is a big feat for me since normally a bun was the best i could muster. ON a personal note I am scared to death my husband will decide to leave. Totally uncalled for fear since we get along great and don't currently have any issues... but it worries me that he married as a big girl and won't like the new me.

I haven't been banded yet but I can see myself making some drastic changes once the excess weight is gone. For instance, I want to go into Public Relations and I think once the weight is gone I'll have the confidence to go after it. For now though, all I've done is cut about 7 inches of hair off and started styling it a little. This is a big feat for me since normally a bun was the best i could muster. ON a personal note I am scared to death my husband will decide to leave. Totally uncalled for fear since we get along great and don't currently have any issues... but it worries me that he married as a big girl and won't like the new me.

you need to do this for you. if any man leaves someone because they lost weight and made themselves healthy, then good riddance. a real man who married YOU will stay married to YOU no matter what you weigh. so get that type of thinking out of your head now and do this for you.

I wouldnt worry about that much. If you have a good relationship with your husband , he will stay no matter what. But having lost a lot of weight in the past, I can tell you he may get a little insecure,I have been married 33 years, and about 20 years ago when I lost about 50 lbs, my husband was insecure not because he didnt like it, but men paid more attention to me and he wasnt used to that, and I was very happy and outgoing, and he didnt know if I was gonna leave. I have seen woman that just went nuts after loosing alot of weight, and decided they didnt want that life anymore, and divorce there husband, but they were in marriages that werent good to start with, I think loosing weight just gave them the confidence to do that. So if you are in a good relationship and your both happy and secure, I wouldnt waste my time worrying about it. Good luck. Sara

The only change I'm thinking about is getting a couple of tattoos, of which I currently have none. ! symbol representing each of my children on my biceps.

First, Part 1: The radical change for me post op was to finally "bite the bullet" with exercise, and despite the chronic pain I still have with recovering from multiple fractures, I have made the effort to engage in regular exercise to assist with adopting a healthier lifestyle. Though the exercise has increased my level of pain, I'm validated as I make the effort to do what I am able to with Water aerobic classes.

Your written concerns regarding your marriage are quite common...and if your relationship is a healthy one, based on good communication and mutual respect and understanding, I hope you are able to set your anxieties aside.

When one of the partners in a relationship makes major changes, you are changing the balance in the relationship, and not everyone copes well with change, particularly the individual who did not initiate the change. Some insecurities may surface with both of you, and just so you know, you will be experiencing many internal changes in addition to the external ones. Hormones gyrate, mood swings and self doubt can abound. Through it all, it helps to know that what you are experiencing is common, and with good communication with each other should be able to get resolved.

Best wishes as you continue to build your self confidence and make positive changes in your life!

Thank you all. Good to know no one totally went crazy after being banded :D

xsentrick: warning tats are addictive. i currently have three and wanting more.