Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting Undigested Food In The Morning?

So I've had the band a long time. And when I searched for this problem of course all I got were really frightening pages that said I was going to die. Obviously ridiculous and the sites were not that legitimate. So, I thought I'd ask some fellow banders for their experience.

I have the usual PBing if I eat too much etc. But I've noticed that if I eat later than usual (and maybe an hour or two before bed) I can wake up with bad gas/pressure just like PBing and I go throw up. Usually quite a bit of my food is undigested but as soon as it's up I feel fine and this specific problem has maybe occured a handful of times in the last 4 years. 99% of my days I have no food intolerances, no PBing, can't even tell I have the band (besides eating less of course) Also, I can easily fight the urge to throw up but it's pretty uncomfortable and so let myself. And usually it comes up all in one go, so I'm not sitting there dry heaving.

Things to consider before telling me I have a major complication:

• Most of the time it's with hard to digest food (raw, super-fiberous veggies...dry chicken...etc.)

• I maybe eat a little too much at these times, but not enough to put me in pain immediately.

• I do have acid reflux and had it before the band (band has actually helped a ton), I occasionally take 1-2 Prilosec and sometimes I've wondered if that can sometimes bring about this problem since it decreases acid production....therefore, I'm assuming, causing digestion to be a bit harder.

So....any similar experiences out there?

I just have to ask what is PBing?

Productive Burping

PBing is when you regurgitate some food or slime that has collected in your pouch or esophogus. It helps when you are in a stuck episode.

Sorry Cherry but I'm no help other than regurgitating lapband terms.

tmf

I do know my surgeon recommends not eating within at least a couple hours before bed so food has time to adequately digest before laying down. I am wondering if that is your issue? Just eating too close to bedtime is messing with your digestion so the food is coming back up?

I think it may just be that some of those fibrous foods just aren't making it through the band. I've had the band for 4 years, and I also just go ahead and pb rather than suffer through the pain. I'm stll trying to figure out what I can and can't eat--and it changes! Sometimes I can eat a food just fine and have no problems and then on other days it just won't go down. I think there are many variables involved. One thing I do know though Is that it's not uncommon for 90% of the food to go down just fine with the other 10% not going down so well. For example, popcorn will go down just fine--except got the kernel husks. Hours later I'll be in pain, go pb and all that comes up is kernel husks (sorry for TMI). I've nicknamed it the "sieve effect"--the little bits go down but the bigger (more fibrous?) bits don't and must come up. I haven't decided if that means I can't eat popcorn--though I don't like the "sieve effect" so I generally stay away from popcorn anymore. Maybe you're experiencing the "sieve effect"?

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Ha, I'm glad I'm not alone on that willowcat. And yeah, weirdest thing, there are some foods I used to be able to tolerate and now can't. Likewise, there were ones I couldn't eat that I now can. popcorn used to be a big no-no. Now most days I'm fine. However...rice...most of the time....ouch. But that comes and goes. I've noticed quinoa doesn't give me as much trouble.

Maybe I've just gotten to the point where I know when a stuck episode is going to resolve itself or when I need to just give in and get it out. As far as eating too close to bed, I do have to say that that is occasionally the issue. But I have had a handful of times that I'll eat around 7pm...go to bed around 1 am....and throw up undigested dinner around 6 am.

I guess you never stop learning with this thing.