Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many People Still Have The Lap Band After Say...10 Years?

I want to say that I think that the lap band is a good tool for weight loss. I have seen some successful people with it and have personally known quite a few. I've realized, though, that the lap band really is a temporary device. I have never met anyone that has a lapband after 10 years. They either had slippage, erosion, or other complications from the lap band such as infections and hernia or whatever else and etc. My friend told me that when she signed the paperwork...it was listed as a temporary device. One of my friends had such bad damage and scar tissue from the band that she was unable to get a revision surgery. That got me concerned. Does the band cause damage to the stomach from having it for years that makes the person incapable of getting a revision surgery? Does the person then simply just hope and pray that they have learned new lifelong habits to maintain the weight loss? There are so many what ifs.

So who still has it after 8-10-12 years? Does it still work or is it unfilled and simply just sitting there without being in use? Is it really a permanent solution to weight?

I want to say I think it's a good temporary tool. But I do wonder what people do when the temporary is over...

You're not going to find good data because of the length of time it's been approved in the USA. The Lap-Band brand bands were just FDA approved in 2001 and the Realize brand bands were approved in 2007. As with any new medical device, changes are made as problems are found, and that has been the case with the Lap-Band as well. A good example is how they used to use 4cc bands but they now have found bands ranging from 9cc to 14cc to be safer and more effective long term. So, the only place you will now find the older model bands used is in places like Mexico (which is one of the reasons most US surgeons won't touch patients banded in Mexico).

However, with that said, I have met more than a few on this board who've had their bands over 6 years, and that's with the smaller 4cc bands too.

The Lap-Band is no different than any other implanted medical device. Pace makers, insulin pumps, and artificial joints won't last forever either. Just like them, the Lap-Band does require ongoing medical supervision and if you live long enough, will inevitably need replacing/updating too,

This worries me a bit too. I have this fear of gaining it all back. I'm only 1 yr, 9 mo since surgery, but can't help worrying about the future. In your 8 years with the band, have you personally had any problems?

So, how many people have you personally met who've been banded for 8-10-12 years with or without complications? Five, ten, twenty, fifty? I'm not sure what the current numbers are and it's too late in the day for me to call my Allergan rep, but as of 2009, about 62,500 Lap-Bands were placed each year. So if you personally know 50 people who lost their band to complications, that works out to a failure rate of .08%. Of course, since the Realize band hit the market in US late 2007 (after having been used successfully outside the USA since the mid 1980's), we ought to factor in its failure rate as well, but perhaps the Realize band doesn't qualify for your personal study because it's been used in the USA for less than 8 years?

I do personally know a woman who's been banded since December 2003 and still loves her band after almost 9 years. Since I personally know only one person who's been banded over 8 years, my own study yields a 100% satisfaction rate. But wait! I do know another person who's been banded over 8 years. His name is Alex Brecher, and he's the founder of LBT. He was banded in July of 2003 and guess what, he still loves his band, too!

The consent papers I signed when I had band surgery way back in 2007 made it clear that band surgery (like any surgery) has a number of risks, and neither Allergan nor my surgeon offered me any guarantee of weight loss or of no complications or of the permanence of my band. My surgeon did tell me I should consider it a lifetime companion, and I don't see anything wrong with that. He just wanted me to understand that this was a major, long term undertaking, and he was absolutely right even though I ended up losing my band. It would be foolish of me to undergo surgery thinking, "Well, I'll give this a try, and if it doesn't work out the way I like in a year or two, I'll have it removed and try something else." According to the bariatric surgeons I interviewed when writing Bandwagon, bariatric surgery (whichever procedure you choose) is the ONLY long term treatment for obesity available today. If there were a permanent treatment for obesity, you could call it a cure, and that would be a wonderful thing,wouldn't it? But obesity is a chronic, incurable disease, and that fact is one of the reasons that bariatric surgery sometimes fails.

Anyway, back to you...Have you personally had band surgery? Did your surgeon guarantee a permanent cure and no complications? If so, would you share his or her name and location, because that information would be useful to so many people on this forum and I personally would love to chat with him or her as part of my continuing education.

Oh, one more thing. One reason you so rarely encounter a 8-10-12 year bandster, especially online, is that those people lost their weight and went on to other perfectly worthwhile things, like new jobs and new babies and new hobbies. Bariatric surgery faded into the background of their lives. Of course, some of them did have problems. I know a few bandsters who lost their bariatric focus because they were diagnosed with cancer (NOT, I hasten to add, caused by their band) or their spouse or child died in an accident or they lost their job and basic survival became more of an issue than actively promoting the band.

I also had a concern with keeping the weight off after being banded long term. I recently read an article that stated that the reason that many "older bands (7-10 years old) had to be removed was slippage or a lack of a perfected technique. Over the last 5 years or so many surgeons have perfected the techniques for banding a patient and the procedure is now done lapriscopically as opposed to open surgery (which is how it started). They are stillc ompiling data, but band slippage and weight gain seems to have subsided a bit in the last 5 years.

Thank you for the thoughtful replies! I've considered lapband. I know someone who was very successful with it since 2006 so that's pretty good. I guess I'm just concerned about the long term after seeing my friend being unable to get a revision surgery because of the damage. I didn't even THINK about people getting a second lap band placed after slippage or erosion or other complications! That's actually a great idea. As long as the stomach can handle the surgery, I can see how the lap band can really be a long term tool. I am sure that can get expensive though.

I agree with you that anyway bariatric surgery can have a failure rate whether it's regain after RNY or sleeve, or slippage/erosion after banding. I think that there are positives and negatives to any surgery.

There are positives and negatives to every surgery. I think that the most important decision you make if you decide to get the surgery is where/ which doctor is going to perform the surgery. Living in NYC I have many options. I know of 3 people that went throught NYU a very reputable hospital. I decided to go through Staten Island University Hospital instead. One of the reasons is that they run a more comprehensive and stict program. I was banded on 7/9, I have an appointment on Monday for an upper g.i. to make sure the band is still in place after the post op swelling has gone down. I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday as well for a post op check up. On the anniversary of my surgery I will be sent for another upper g.i. to make sure the band is not slipping. They try to catch thngs ahead of time. Also, check into a support group. My surgeon's office runs several and I was mandated to attend 2 support group sessions (with other requirments) in order to receive surgery,

I've had mine since 2005, and its still going strong.

I had to unfill it for cancer surgery and struggled to get the same restriction back. Upon investigation, I have a very slighty stretched pouch. Doc says that's probably normal after so long and it was symptompless so just a good reminder to be aware of keeping portions small, eating slowly etc.

Then I developed heartburn - no reflux just burning pain in my stomach constantly. That was earlier this year. I've fretted and worrried and such, and eventually had a gastroscopy - guess what. No band problem whatsoever but the Iron supplements I had to take after chemo had caused an ulcer/erosion of my stomach, from sitting in the pouch. Fixed after two months on nexium, heartburn gone. Another good reminder to take the advice about NSAIDS seriously. I am supposed to take aspirin as its such a good bowel cancer preventative but I simply cant. No matter, exercise is an even more powerful preventatative!

So all up, almost seven years and no problems. Lost 120lb, have a BMI of 21, weight has been gone for several years and I even managed not to gain whilst unfilled for six months (I couldnt keep that up forever though, gain would be inevitable without my band)

I am perfectly aware that the likelihood for revision is high. I'm only 44, I have years to go with this. I accept that. I mean people get fake boobs all the time and never worry that they wont last a lifetime. This is so much more important for my health. And it sure beats remaining fat.

I just came upon this post and I have to say this is an excellent question and the comments have really helped me. This topic has been a huge concern for me in my decision so I really appreciate the post and the feedback.

I had lapband surgery in 2001. Yep, 2001. I lost 60 pounds in the first 18 months and then went into hibernation... raising the family, living life etc. I had taken enough off to live comfortably and not feel so awful (I started at 263 pounds). Fast forward to two years ago, my husband had gastric bypass and both kids were now out of the house. I renewed my efforts alongside my husband, and lost the last 40 pounds to get to my century mark. (although my BMI still reports me as 'overweight.') yippee for me! Now that I'm down 100 pounds (and my husband's down 200 pounds) we're much more active than even before and eating a healthy diet/lifestyle. To me, this has been the perfect tool... it's there to assist in my efforts to be healthy.. but by itself, or me by myself, can't be effective unless combined with the other component.

I have had no complications- have been living off the same fill for seven years (four in totality). I have not been the most compliant patient (unlike my husband.. he's textbook perfect patient) but I have done this as a piece of my life... not my entire life. I have learned to be forgiving and go with the ebbs and flow of challenges and my life. I go to the gym when I can and don't beat myself up when I can't. There are weeks that I don't weigh myself.. and there are weeks that I gain a wee bit of weight. I take the weeks that I am the same as victories and those weeks that I reduce by a little as celebrations. I try to remember that I didn't become this way (heavier or thinner) overnight and I'm not going to return that way overnight either.

I have only had one hiccup on my path.. about three years ago I was violently ill.. throwing up. I felt a slight pop and was concerned my band had been damaged. I went to my new doctor (since WLS was more prevelant, I didn't have to drive to LA to get services any longer, I just had to go down the road to a nearby doctor, conincientally, my husbands surgeon) and he said things were fine... the band is a part of me and will continue to be as long as it will have me. If the time comes that I need to get it removed I will actively seek a new one. I can't imagine my life without this companion.

Color me 100% happy.

I have had my band since 2006. I went through years of stress in my life after getting it. First I lost my brother in law to heart disease, and the next year began a long long traumatic life as I watched my husband suffer and die a very slow death. Two years later I lost my mother to Alzheimers Disease after moving her to my house and taking care of her and watching her decline and final death. It has been 2 years since losing my mother and I am now about to have a fill in my nearly empty band. I am so hoping that it will still work for me and I can concentrate on just me for a while. I was not told anything about the band being temporary, I was told it was a lifelong tool and I am so hoping that is true. I have never had a problem with my band to date and I will have the first fill tomorrow in a very long time. I am so stoked and I want this to work so much.