Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie to the board and loving it!!!!

Hello All -

I just came across the board and am absolutely loving it!

I scheduled my consultation appointment today for next week Tuesday! I am SO very excited. I am scheduling with www.lapsf.com

I am a 24 year old female. I am 5'7" tall weighing in around 240. I personally don't have "health problems" but there is a long history on both my mother's and father's family history.

I am so exctied about this life changing opportunity! I have been on the edge of my seat all day today since scheduling that appointment - I didn't realize that I was so excited until I spoke with the Dr.'s office.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone better and finding tons of support from everyone here!

Thanks!

Nikki

Hi Nikki

I'm so happy for you:D There are a few of us from the sacramento/bay area.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Nikki,

Welcome, I am in the Sacramento/Roseville area... so we are 'practically' neighbors! You will get a lot of great advise and support on this board.

Glad you will be joining us!

I heard there are some great doctors at lapsf. Good luck!:rolleyes:

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I am pretty excited about the lapsf. My primary suggested another group, however, I being stubborn wanted to find my own group. I have heard some good things about the lapsf group and have had nothing but great friendly people on the phone with me before hand.

I will find out on Tuesday my surger date - hopefully.

Good thing, my primary scheduled me for all the blood, urine and xray tests before hand. I have them done already, so all I will have to do on Tuesday is figure out what is left to still test and get those done and I will be on my way!!!!

Thanks again. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone better and the "locals."

Nikki

Guest SmilnSnFlr

Hi Nikki,

We live all the way across the country from one another, but it looks like we have a lot in common. I'm 5'10 and 265 lbs, so (without looking) I'd guess we have a similar BMI. I dont have any health problems outstanding right now either, but I'm only 25. Both parents and all grandparents as well as a younger sister have lots of health problems related to weight. So, I wanted to take the bull by the horns before I was dealing with all that. I was nervous that they wouldn't do the surgery until I was near falling apart. Well, good luck to you and maybe we will be banded around the same time too.

Sabrina

Guest Britnismommy

Hello Nikki,

Like Sabrina, I think we have some things in common. I am 24 in Texas. I'm 5'8" and in my upper 200's as far as weight (not sure the exact amount). We have a lot of heart problems and diabetes in my family so I wanted to get a handle on this weight thing too. I am still waiting for my surgery date and hope it will be soon. Good Luck to you and looking forward to getting to know everyone better!

I am suprised that your insurance will let you have the band at only 240 and being 5'7. Was your BMI index high?? My husband was 250 at 5'6 and they didn't want to cover him even with health issues. I was 282 and 5'7 so a better candidate as far as my insurance goes. They have since stopped letting people get the lapband so I am glad I got mine before the cut off date. Good luck on the surgery!!!

Nikki didn't mention that she's asking her carrier to pay for this surgery, did she? If so, I would also be very surprised if they agree to cover this for someone 5'7", 240 with no health problems.

Nikki, I assume you're a self-pay, right?

I am a self-pay. BS doesn't cover the Band that I am aware of - they still find it "experimential."

They do cover the RNY and DS. At this point in my life I am not ready to go into something so "premanent" and "serious." I HOPE no one takes that statement wrong. I do think and feel that the Band is Serious and permanent, however, IF something goes wrong or I have problems with it - it can be reversed without a ton of problems.

My BMI is 38. I do have sleep apnea and dx depression due to weight, but those dx don't "count" as serious as the others - heart disease and diabetes.

I hope I haven't upset anyone, I feel after writing that - that I will have. I didn't mean to , just didn't know how to express what I was trying to say.

Nikki

Originally posted by bratyme

I am a self-pay. BS doesn't cover the Band that I am aware of - they still find it "experimential."

I don't think they are allowed to call whatever-they-don't-want-to-pay-for "experimental." If THAT is the reason they won't pay, contact Don Mills at Inamed. He's helped others.

My BMI is 38. I do have sleep apnea and dx depression due to weight, but those dx don't "count" as serious as the others - heart disease and diabetes.

Whoever told you that sleep apnea doesn't count is way off base. It can kill us. It is a very serious illness and may be sufficient to require wls, especially if you are intolerant of the CAP/BiPAP machines.

I hope I haven't upset anyone, I feel after writing that - that I will have. I didn't mean to , just didn't know how to express what I was trying to say.

Say whatever you need to say.

Nikki