Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July Bandsters....lets Here You....

Kim,

I hope the latest change is helpful! Its hard for me to believe its been over a year from my surgery. WOW. Its been a hard year. But I know I would be 25 lbs heavier rather than 37 lbs lighter if I hadn't gotten the surgery. For whatever reason....I just couldn't stop eating. Now it is hard but I am on a much healthier track. I just looked at everyone's progress and am so inspired. I just started exercising again and have a trip coming up in November that I'd like to be a bit thinner for....so my goal is 20 more lbs by Christmas. I appreciate all the stories and comments!!

Hi all...Linda, we ARE here, never fear. I'm sure we just are overwhelmed with the never-ending food issues!

I am up at least 5 lbs...the adjustment to remove Fluid has done what I feared....loosened me up so much I am eating almost like I always have...probably not quite the volume, but not far from it. I still have some minor sticking issues, but nothing like before...but now I am afraid I'm going too far back.

Sweets are my worst enemy...and today, I ate McD's...dbl cheeseburger and small fry. ATE IT ALL...slow'ish, mind you, but all of it. Am feeling kinda bloated right now, tho, not fun...but I know I will still eat more later...I am at my parents' and for whatever reason, whenever I am here, all I want to do is eat. Ugh. What IS that???

Like Melissa said, we would all be HEAVIER this year instead of whevere we are right now if not for our procedure and our own efforts, we know it can be done, but we also know the work WE have to do.

I am not exercising, either...that would change lots of things I know. How do we get out of that rut and get our fannies moving????

One day at a time...we can keep moving forward...a few set-backs are normal for everyone...we are not giving up, right??

On another note...have any of you heard of this product called, "IT WORKS!"? I was given a trial "wrap"...I will let you know. I've seen some pretty impressive before/after photos...maybe I will have a story to tell, too!

Keep the faith!

Kim

I'm here too Linda, just not as often, I log in daily on MFP (look me up if you want to be friends 2012ALM (that's to everyone BTW)), but not as consistent with logging on to LBT as I was in the beginning. It's crazy it's been a year and like Lucy said above, I'm getting a little too comfortable with myself. I have been on a plateau since April and my sweet tooth gets out of control quite often and like everyone else has said, sticking to exercise is hard. I started up again this week, but today I dropped the ball, but I'm just going to look at it as this is my off day and I now have to work out all other days of the week :). Fortunately I have only gained 1 lb during this time and surprised because if you only know what I am eating sometimes :(. Anywhoo, I went to the NUT last week and expressed these concerns (getting too comfortable and sweet cravings) and she put me a pretty strict diet to get me back on track, hope it works! Let us know how you are doing!

Linda, I sure could use that info everyday! Where did you get that? Yes I feel that I am having the same problem you are having, too comfortable! I also do not care for exercise, but I do like to ride my bike when i can find the time.

Thanks everyone I think I am going to set up an appt for next week for a fill, I've been putting it off because I have a lot of stuck issues but when I can eat I can eat a lot more than I was. I'm so bad esp when I'm at work at letting myself get to hungry then I pig out. We recently got a pool so I'm trying to swim laps this is the ONLY kind of exercise I like the least bit. That has been frustrating though due to the rain we have been getting everyday almost. I got on the scale and was excited to be down 1 pound but then got on it two days later and was up 3!! I HATE the scale it never seems to move out of the 180's, I've been in them for several months. I really would like to be in the 160's by my daughters wedding maybe even more logically 170 but I just have no energy and feel like it wont happen unless I get my butt moving. It is Oct 5th. Since my hernia surgery in Feb I just seemed to lose my mojo!

As for the info above I actually found it here on lbt in the fill info. I was looking to see if I could find some info on whether I should get a fill or not and came across it. It is a good reminder of things I had forgotten.

My 1 year anniversary is tomorrow!!! I had hoped to be down more by now but I must say even with the problems I have had I am feeling better and looking better then I was a year ago. I look back at pictures and think My Lord I had no idea!!!! I was living in a fools paradise you might say.

I have a question that seems pretty self absorbed, I saw some people recently that I have not seen in a few years NOT ONE said anything about my weight loss and yes it bugged me a lot. I had really hoped at least 1 would say something but no one did and on another note I have some people in my family/friends that I feel are not happy for me at all, they have weight issues themselves and unless I'm asked about it I do not talk about it around them but somehow I feel that my eating habits and weight loss makes them uncomfortable. :( that makes me sad I would hope they would want the best for me and that I could be an inspiration to them.

Help! How do you add a "before & after" photo?

Linda that's not self absorbed at all, it's just nice when people notice and the sad thing is, is that some people will be jealous. I have a lady that used to seem to support me for the most part, but she has struggled in losing weight and now some of her statements don't seem too positive or supportive, but I just brush it off. I know what I want and what I had to do to get here and I can't inspire them all, you know? :) I did try too, but you can't go drinking alcohol all of the time, eat crap food all of the time, with the occasional grape or apple, and expect to lose weight. Believe me I did that for years and it did nothing. :)

Linda...I agree with Amy...it is NOT wrong to desire positive reactions from people. I'm recently in the same boat...I'm down 43'ish, which IS a significant amount, and IT DOES SHOW...but still, people ask, "Have you lost weight?" DUH. But I just smile and say, yes, I have! And MOVE ALONG.

Don't waste time on them....keep your focus on what YOU want out of this, and that's what matters.

Newest thing for me -- I had a gallbladder attack on Wednesday, started about noon-2pm on Wed, and (long story short), I made 2 trips to the ER thru the night (Wed/Thurs AM), and ended up having it removed Thursday afternoon. On the first ER visit, they did an ultrasound and found gallstones...without question.

I happened to be visiting my parents in KCMO so went to the hospital where they have the most confidence...and they were great. So, within 24 hours of the on-set of this I was in surgery.

I flew home to Indy today...Feeling pretty good. Just really tired and my incisions are really tender - OF COURSE!! Not much different than the band surgery....but oh my word...I have NEVER had that kind of pain, that intense...never ever. It was awful. I was begging for pain meds, and they could only give me something every 2 hours...and it was BARELY taking the edge off inside the first hour, then the second hour was just horrible.

I'd do labor again over that!! (well, maybe NOT, but it was about a "14" on the 1-10 pain scale!)...

So, back home now, awaiting the arrival of my husband and oldest son (13) who have been in Haiti this week, on a missions trip w/ our church. I am thankful I was at my folks' when I had my 'thing', otherwise I'd have been home alone, not sure who to call in the middle of the night to take me to the ER, AND who would care for my 9-y/o son in my absence. I believe the Lord saw this one coming and orchestrated that I be with my mom and dad this week! It all worked out beautifully. My mom was with me every minute, and my s-i-l took great care of my little guy.

...anyone else had any gallbladder problems?? Before or after the Band??

I have an 'esophagram' on Wednesday morning, then a follow-up w/ my surgeon at 2pm...I did have my mom call and inform them of my surgery. And as far as I can tell, the band was not in the way and caused no issues at all. the 31st is my ONE YEAR...like many of you, I wish I were farther down the road, but I'm certainly not where I was 12 months ago, and that's something we ALL can celebrate!!

On the mend, and ready for some sound sleep tonight. Hoping my guys get here soon or I won't be awake to welcome them home!!

Have a wonderful Sunday, all!

K.

Oh wow Kim, I'm glad you were with them also. My cousin had the same issue and said it was excruciating. So glad you are doing well now and on the mend. I hear this is one of those things like my hernia that happens a lot in our situation. My doctor even thinks some of my back pain could be caused by gb problems but I honestly think it's my arthritis in my spine. I have had it for years and it seems to always get worse when it's cold or damp weather. I have been swimming a lot lately and that seems to help a lot. Take care of yourself and keep us updated on how you are doing.

Well, had my esophagram today...making sure band is still where it belongs...all is well.

Since having Fluid removed back in June, I have had virtually NO restriction, eating anything (and everything) I want. And I gained about 4 pounds!

I did get a fill...and the surgeon has a theory that my GB has been acting up all along, possibly contributing to my troubles and sensitivity to my fills.

You probably don't recall that I had to have Fluid REMOVED about a week after surgery (ONE YEAR AGO TODAY)...then two or three minor fills, and then the most recently another "withdrawal". Doc says I am WELL below where most people are at this stage (well below band-fluid capacity).

So, with the gallbladder out, I am hoping this fill will get me back on track. I am trying very hard today to follow the rules that apply to the first 48after a fill. I AM kinda hungry, having eaten nothing all day, but I'm trying to follow the rules...tomorrow I can have my shakes...

I think Lucia said something about getting too comfortable where she is...I'm there, too...not SATISFIED but soooooooo much happier than I was a year ago!

So, hopefully this will be a step in the right direction and that I will see progress. I think my brain is ready to engage again, after a very lazy summer. I would love to see 20+ by Christmas...I know it can be done, but I do have to do my part. This includes getting my butt moving.

Anyway, that's that, girls. Here's to moving forward - and skinnier!

Kim

Just me again...STARVING and wondering if all of you follow the "no solids for 48 hours after a fill" rule!???

Honestly, I could eat a horse. This morning, I did a DUMB thing and made a smoothie...yogurt, V8 smoothie juice, frz stbys, ice...it made a HUGE glass-full and I downed all of it....

then had MAJOR gut issues....had some diarrhea and a bit of a 'vomit with nothing in it' episode...yikes. Not fun.

So, after that now, I've had two Protein shakes...and feel like I am starving...

How soon - and WHAT -- do you eat after a fill??

I really REALLY want to do it right this time, so I need some input here.

BTW, I went for a 2-mi walk this morning! Hoping that'll help, too!!

Thanks!

Kim

I totally understand where you are coming from. I tried my damnedest to stick to the liquids, mushies, soft, then regular food after each fill, but I can't do it now. I'll mostly do the liquids, but always end up eating softer foods that are more solid too early. Good luck, it's difficult and since you are exercising, your body is probably going to crave food even more :). But at least you are getting back on track and will make your goal!

Hi Kim!

I'm sorry you've been feeling so bad, after every fill my Dr. says I should do a liquid diet of 5 days or a week, I drink ensure, or activia, in the mornings, and chicken broth as lunch, at night I repeat one of those again, I drink a lot of Water in between or lemonade, mostly water, when I feel like I'm about to faint lol I drink gatorade but just one.

I hope it helps, it's worth it, after every fill I drop 5 lbs in a week :)

UGH, Have no idea what is going on. I haven't had a fill in a long time and just last week I was thinking it was time but didn't set up an appointment. I wasn't losing or gaining and haven't in a while but now suddenly since Tue I can't eat anything but rice cakes!!! Everything is getting stuck!!! I have been so sick the last two days and my throat is now burning. I went to get a frappe' this morning just because I wanted something and what the heck I haven't eaten really in two days but I can't even drink it, it is making me feel stuck again and making the burn worse. I seem to be able to drink hot coffee and that's about it.

Haven't heard from you guys in a while, hope you are all doing well and not getting frustrated like me!

Hi Linda...I'm in a rut, too! I gained about 4 lbs between my last two fills...this last time, which was 5 weeks ago, I started out gung-ho, followed the instructions about liquids for the first couple days...but since then, I feel like a bottomless pit! I am eating almost anything I want...some sticking issues, but few. And JUNK food like crazy. Its like I have NO control at all. I am going to be REALLY bummed if I go in on the 16th, for a check-up and fill, and have gained again. My clothes are fitting good, so I am not noticing any changes in that, but I am afraid to step onto the scale. I just know I am eating too much -- mostly calorie-laden stuff. (for some reason, my computer won't let me start a new paragraph -- sorry for this eternal paragraph!)...anyway, I know, accd'ing to my dr, that I am WAY below the norm for band-fill. Not sure why I can't tolerate the tighter band, but I do look forward to getting another small fill. I think part of me is feeling VERY COMFORTABLE where I am. I am wearing a 16 on the bottom, and maybe a 1x on top (I am a DD on top)...and just feeling very happy here. Would I love to lose another 20-25? YES. But am I worrying about it? No. I just dread a lecture from my med team...which is what I fully expect because I am not losing, "like I should"... so, I must get control of this junk food thing and do better. Plus, I am not walking - or anything - at all, and I know I don't drink enough Water. I think I know what my "problems" are, but I am just not very motivated to fix them!! I'm sorry you're struggling with all this, Linda. Hopefully there are no issues with the band itself - like that its shifted or something...I have a friend who ended up with that problem and had to have the band removed. Please don't put off having it checked out...did you have an "esophagram" at your one-year?? I did, just to make sure the band was where it was supposed to be...if it has moved upward, it could cause some of the problems you are describing. Please go in before too long!! Thumbs up to us all....we have to keep a positive mindset, remembering where we were last year. That's what I keep telling myself -- as my husband does! -- I would be the other direction if not for this tool. I have NO regrets. I am not willing to just give up and not look toward losing more, but neither will I bemoan my less-than-perfect record. I will Celebrate the success I HAVE had and will just make some better choices each day!! Hugs to you all! -- Kim