Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Affects of Flying with Lap Band?

Mentioned it to the doc and he was not sure why it happened.

I had to laugh when I read this. I got this image of my Dr's face all screwed up in a puzzled expression as his head pulls back a bit and he says, 'Huh, I've never heard of that before.' LOL

Isn't it comforting to know that our Dr's know so much about our bands?! LOL

Isn't it comforting to know that our Dr's know so much about our bands?! LOL

My fave is when my petulant surgeon tells me I most certainly did NOT feel something that of course, I felt. He tells me "no, that's not possible". Uh...okay sparky! I know I didn't go to years of med school but I've been in this rig called my body for going on 37 years....I think I know what I felt!

Well from the variations in responses, whether or not we can quote a truely scientific solution; it appears that flying affects band restriction temporarily (up to two days); for some of us. Knowing that, I will be more careful and conscientious as to what I eat immediatley following a flight.

From the various replies, I guess we can assume that some people do feel tighter restriction up to two days after flying. I realize that we cannot quote scientific materials to verify this, however, its like most things in life...doctors don't always believe us when trying to explain mysteries of the body. Unless there has been a hugh study or paper done on it; then it doesn't exist.

I know if the future when I fly, I will be very conscientious about what I eat 48 hours following.

Lots of people have flown with variable experiences so I will just comment on the long flights.

Since being banded, I have flown from ND to Liberia (Africa), France, and Malawi (Africa). Overall, I have not noticed any difference after flying multiple 8 or more hours flights in one trip. I will be having a 17 hour flight in a couple of weeks and I can update you then.

I did swell in Malawi from the heat and now, 10 days later, I got an unfill to relieve my restriction.

My theory on all of this boils down to the band is fickle and we need to expect the unexpected.

Anything longer than 2 hours and I start getting nausea from swallowing spit. I am DEFINITELY tighter on the plane. Peanuts and drink? FORGET IT! I make sure I am completely hydrated before getting on it.

Peanuts and drink? FORGET IT!

Did y'all know you have to pay for those now?? Insane. How much can 6 peanuts cost?! Sorry.. didn't mean to get offtrack. *grins*

You know, I doubt that the pressure change would effect the band since it the cabin is kept pressurized during the flight.

Perhaps its due to the changes in inertia as the plane moves, and the contents of the small stomach sort of move around a lot, which could cause the band to sort of loosen up?

I just recently went on vac. I asked my surgeon at my fill appt. two weeks before my trip. He said nope, would not effect it at all. For me, he was right, it didnt. Matter of fact we ate about an hour after we got off the plane. I had no problems at all. (flight was a 5 hour flight).

Sometimes a fill takes a few weeks to really hit you. It was only 3 weeks ago..maybe it was just the fill and not the flight at all. Just a thought

Well, I have tried the liquids only routine since Monday, and getting no where fast.

My nightly horror of the acid reflux has rendered me tight to the point that Water is hard to consume.

It's not apparently what I'm eating but the acid reflux that is causing a lot of irritation and swelling and it just keeps getting worse.

So have appointment tomorrow to have a little of my fill removed....goodness can't wait for the relief...have not had solid food for a week!:faint: i'm at the point I don't know what caused the change or why - just want it out:eek: !

Hi All

I am interested in this question greatly, as I am being banded in April and am a longhaul flight attendant. I asked my doctor all about this, but I suspect that he hasn't banded many before, he said he had already done a pilot though. I am not allowed to fly for a month after the op, it seems to be more for DVT ( blood clot possibilities) than anything. I begged to be back at work earlier as if I don't fly I don't get paid, but they are being very firm on this, wonder if it may be to do with a chance of problems while being in an overseas country and not being able to get to the doctors?

I am nervous that I might have a bad experience in front of passengers while getting used to what foods work for me..............!

Guess I will be the expert in this field in 8 weeks time, (grins)!

Hey - if your band gets tighter while you are flying at altitude - it would be the same effect of getting a fill, right?

And you are supposed to do liquids after you get a fill because sometimes the fill causes short-term swelling in your stomache.

After a day or two, it goes away... Sounds reasonable to me.

I haven't noticed it particularly on this current trip (I am in NY vs TX) but I have absolutely NO restriction - so I wouldn't particulary notice a tiny bit.