Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Is It....

Why is it so hard to make the choice to be healthy (weight wise?).

Without going into too much detail, following rectal cancer, radiation, chemo and two surgeries, I have found out that due to extensive intestinal damage from treatment I am now gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, and sensitive to fodmaps (various short chain carbs such as lactose, fructose, fructans, oligosaccharides).

I have to do a very strict eight week elimination diet. Yet it is not daunting at all. I am soooo looking forward to being freed from my gut woes (or at least having it reduced). I am a slave to the bathroom, constantly anxious about being near one, it really affects my quality of life. My body embarrasses me on a regular basis, I am completely laxative dependent, yet cant trust a fart, and unable to really live my life the way I want to. Not to mention anxiety, depression and brain fog.

So this diet does not phase me at all. Giving up wheat forever - no problem. Living low lactose (not dairy free), easy peasy. Steering clear of certain fruits and vegies with more fructose than glucose- whatever. Avoiding onions and garlic -eeek, not so easy, how to cook or eat out without those? But overall, I am just looking forward to a reduction in my IBS symptoms.

Weight loss has SO many more benefits even than that! So many far reaching psychological, physical and social benefits, such a huge increase to your quality of life - so why is it so damned hard to walk away from the donuts? How can anyone want a donut more than that? I wish I knew the answer, I'd be very wealthy.

I'm going to try to think this way next time I feel the desire to overeat or eat inappropriately. Even within my limitations.

(edited to add, these changes are so much easier for me now, post lapband than they would have been seven years ago. I mean, I dont eat bread as it is. And there's gluten and dairy free alternatives for all the naughty stuff. I'm not fond of fruit either, so restricting it to bananas, pineapple and rhubarb is no biggie).

I was reading your post and wondering what exactly you are allowed to eat?

Sorry that you are still having so many problems. You should be "better" by now and it sucks that you aren't.

Well as a fellow IBS sufferer i know the bathroom scenario only too well, its a nightmare and u have to plan going out so u dont get caught out.. i hate it too, but mine has imporved a lot since i got rid of a very stressful job and lost the weight, its still around but not as bad.

I think u are never gonna be completely shot of some digestive problems but going on this elimination diet will at least give a chance to minimise the symptoms and get back to some normality. I know u been through a lot but sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck and let us know how u get on with it :)

Hi. Oh boy I know how you feel. I didn't have irriitable bowel Syndrome, I had inflammatory bowel disease. With Ulcerative Colitis. I had 8 ulcers on my Colon. They thought I hd Crohns disease and treated me for it. Eventially my ulcers cleared up in the colon. They finally ruled out Crohns. I would have been a tooth pick with Crohns. I was a big one instead. I hurt so bad with pain in my bely that I just ate bread and butter and rice and butter. I just got fatter and fatter. I was taking 9 pills a day, then I had some colonoscopy and found out that my colon healed. I also found out that my tummy cramps and diarrea so many times a day was from the pills.. So I stopped them. Then my Mom passed away and that stress that I had all the time~ left. I was sick just a little. Then I got fired from job, Had the band and now I am doing so much better. But for some unknown reason. I see that I am Allergic to Liver. 2x I had it only to have 2 accidents (last one in a shoe store) So I guess I am allergic to certain foods. Or some foods are hard to digest. I think staying away from the bad food is a great idea. My problems are not as bad as yours. But I know you will do well and I hope you do. hugs to you.

I also have colitis and Celiac's disease and feel the same way you do. The life of giving up wheat, oats, rye and barely, not a biggie. Restricting dairy for sake of colitis? nada! Gaining control of eating what I can so not to be overweight??? I struggle! Why? I have no idea! I have always been overweight. I have been gluten free for 7 years, in fact my whole house is gluten free (just to keep mommy safe) and I am happy as a clam!

I do not understand this! self sabotage?

I want you to know you are not alone on your restrictions diet. GF, calorie and carb reduced with little dairy is doable. I just need to figure it all out.

Good luck to you!

Stephanie