Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Months Into This Journey

Well, yesterday marked the 3 month anniversary of this journey for me, and I am THRILLED to be down 48 pounds! I have dreamed of the day I could write something on the success stories thread because I spent a whole lot of time reading here during the dreaded pre-op diet, the post-op gas pains, and the bandster hell period to help remind me that this will be worth it in the end. I can say so far that I absolutely do not regret this decision.

On Thursday, March 15th, I went to the plus size clothing store on my lunch break to find something to wear for a college preview day my daughter I would be attending that weekend. I left the store nearly in tears. Even a 26 was tight and everything made me look like I was wearing a tent. Right there in the parking lot, it felt like I was hit by a bolt of lightning and "get a Lap Band" just came to my mind out of nowhere. I truly believe it was one of the "God moments" for me.

Over the next two weeks, I researched all I could on this and how I could make it happen. I learned that I would have to give up my 2 liter a day diet soda addiction because carbonated drinks stretch the pouch. I was pretty certain I was going to use one particular surgeon with a great success record, and he requires under 50 net carbs a day. OMG! How would I ever do that? I thought I would just eat the same as always, just a lot less, and I have to eat slower, chew how many times, and not drink with or after meals?? I wasn't sure how I would be successful but I knew I couldn't keep going this direction, and I was feeling my rock bottom.

Knowing I had to kick to soda and do the initial "carb detox", I decided to do get a jump on the pre-op diet and go back to Weight Watchers, so that I do not have to deal with such a drastic change all at once, and I am glad I did. So, on April 2nd, I went back to WW, with goals of getting off soda, cutting carbs and getting a new mindset. I did this for 1 month prior to starting the pre-op diet and that made the pre-op diet a little more tolerable and jump started my weight loss. I has initially lost 12 lbs by the time I had the 1st visit with the surgeon.

On May 14th I was banded, everything went well. No Fluid was put into my band during surgery. After the intial swelling went down, I felt like I could eat a house, and I struggled with this til I got my first fill on June 14th. I even gained a couple of pounds and this was so discouraging. Even though I was following the carb and Protein guidelines, I decided I was eating too much fat and calories, so I started tracking 5 things about everything I ate: WW points, fat, calories, carbs and protein, and I weighed everyday and wrote in on my log (a simple MS Word table). The negative feedback of a weight gain motivates me personally. If I stall, I can easily see what the problem food was and avoid it next time. This has been the most successful thing for me and I am learning to live with and work with the band. It is a huge priority for me to write everything down. Instead of pouting and wondering what I did wrong, I can easily identify it, learn from it and move on. Since I have done this, the weight has literally fallen off.

So, yesterday, July 2nd, was officially 3 months since I walked back in WW with my head hanging low. I walked in with my head held high and stepped on the scale to see a 48 pound loss. It was more than I ever imagined. I'm so glad I had that God moment in the parking lot that day.

Thanks for sharing your remarkable story. We all have had that moment, maybe an epiphany.

Congratulations on your success! You are doing marvelous!

Keep posting, it is stories like these that helps the rest of us out :)

I really enjoyed reading your story. I know you "feel great! I can tell it :rolleyes: Keep it up we are here right with you-working at this WL journey too!

Thanks for sharing! What a good story. Something similiar happened to me too... my back pain was so bad & due to that I fell right before thanksgiving then got regular spasms in my legs. I felt so fat & old and sickly.... I went to one support group as I was already interested in hearing more on the lapband. On Christmas my fiance gave me a gorgeous silver claddagh ring & it would not fit on my finger! I was so embarressed...I realized just how bad I'd become...and pursued this since. Almost 8 months later...I'm getting a band on July 5th! Praise god for having those events occur so that it opened my eyes to how unhealthy I'd become!!!

Do you really like weight watchers? I have been thinking that I need to supplement my diet tracking with something other than just calories ... but I wasnt sure that WW would work for me ...

Thanks for the uplifting comments. I do like Weight Watchers- but I primarily do it to keep my husband going to the meetings- he would not if I did not go with him. I like the accountabilty thing too and I like our leader, who has lost 190 lbs herself. I did not tell them I got a Lap Band and do not plan to. I think they are kind of anti-surgery, which stands to reason because that contradicts what service they are selling. Someone brought it up in our meeting once and they got a chilly reception to the idea. The band is only a tool, just like WW is a tool- I still have to do the work in my food choices. I follow my doctor's diet recommendations more than just counting points, but I always come in way under anyway. I could eat 3000 calories in milkshakes, chips and candy if I really wanted. But I want the weight loss more. The more I lose, the better I feel, and the more motivated I get.

I may try it then ... hopefully that will give me the loss I need. Im up 4 lbs, down 4 lbs, up 4 lbs, down 4 lbs for like the last month. Congrats on your success with the program and with your band and thanks for the advice!

Congrats on your success !! Way to go after what you want. It took me two years to decide. Lol.

Congrats on your weight loss !!!!!! Im 7 months banded and also down 48 lbs, and while mine has taken a little longer, i'm thrilled too with the lbs coming off ! It sure makes shopping for clothes alot easier , doesnt it ??? What else is easier for you now ? Hope all continues to go well for you, good luck !!!!

How inspirational! Soo happy you are having success and finding what works for you. I was banded on 5/8 and had my first fill the same day as you. :)

Awesome ! Thank you for sharing ! Very inspired !