Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder Suggestions

I'd like to prepare for my August surgery by trying to make it on two Protein Shakes and 1 meal per day which is pretty much what my pre-op diet will look like. I'm getting my lap band through True Results Houston and they gave me samples of their branded powders which are pretty tasty if I doctor them up which I won't be able to do post-op. Anyone have any Protein Powders that they recommend??

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

Happy Sunday!

I'd like to prepare for my August surgery by trying to make it on two Protein shakes and 1 meal per day which is pretty much what my pre-op diet will look like. I'm getting my lap band through True Results Houston and they gave me samples of their branded powders which are pretty tasty if I doctor them up which I won't be able to do post-op. Anyone have any Protein Powders that they recommend??

Your imput is greatly appreciated.

Happy Sunday!

Happy July, too! :)

I absolutely get creative with my shakes, but they taste great as-is. My wife and I fell in love with Herbalife Formula 1 (my favourite -- smooth) and Protein Drink Mix (my wife's -- thick and creamy).

All of the flavours are great (latté and Cookies 'n' cream being our favourites), but we mostly get vanilla. It's easier to use that as a base and then add whatever we happen to be in the mood for (coffee, fruit, etc.) without having to stock all the individual flavours. And they double as 'protein pops'!

Disclosure: I am an Herbalife distributor. Can't beat wholesale! ;)

Urjury is good but pricy.

I used the target brand, some times i mix it with sf Jello instant powder.< /p>

i bought what my doctor sells at his office only because he has banana flavor and i mix it with the chocolate......taste like a chocolate covered banana!!!! going back for the orange cream flavor.

i was also told to have 2 shakes a light meal, but I was also told to have a small healthy snack in between. You may want to check into that, you need to keep your energy up.

The most important ingredient in your Protein powder is that it needs to be 100% whey Isolate Protein...the best nutrition for bariatric patients. My doctor advised to only use shakes which had a minimum of 20 - 40 g of Protein per shake, and only whey protein.

I get mine at GNC, the Wheybolic Extreme, and use only 1.5 scoops of powder mixed with 8 oz of 1% milk. each shake has 37 g of protein. chocolate is my favorite flavor, and Cookies 'n cream is a close second. I also like to include an ice cube or two in the blender to make the shakes as creamy and thick as possible.

Especially post op, you need to get as much protein from each shake that you can.

The banana flavor seems like it would be great! Does it have a bad after taste?

i bought i was also told to have 2 shakes a light meal, but I was also told to have a small healthy snack in between. You may want to check into that, you need to keep your energy up.

Definitely! Just make it a protein-based snack, since that is more filling -- and of course most of us could use some more anyway! :)

The banana flavor seems like it would be great! Does it have a bad after taste?

I don't notice a bad after taste, it almost tastes like banana taffy.

The most important ingredient in your Protein powder is that it needs to be 100% whey isolate Protein...the best nutrition for bariatric patients. My doctor advised to only use shakes which had a minimum of 20 - 40 g of Protein per shake, and only whey protein.

From what I've read, soy and whey Proteins are equally viable. Soy is a source of complete protein, and since it is plant-based, it is a great alternative for vegans, vegetarians, and those with dairy allergies.

Anecdotally, when I've had whey isolate protein-based drinks they have not agreed with me. I haven't had the same discomfort (and other more graphic issues) with soy protein.

Soy may not be for everyone either, since some folks are allergic to it. But it is really an individual thing, and in light of the research it seems unfair to call whey 'the best' -- 'my whey or the highway' (I couldn't resist!) -- when soy is also nutritious and made from the same stuff: the amino acids that are the building blocks of all the cells in your body. :)

As always, your physician may recommend one or the other -- or both -- depending on your specific needs.

Soy may not be for everyone either, since some folks are allergic to it. But it is really an individual thing, and in light of the research it seems unfair to call whey 'the best' -- 'my whey or the highway' (I couldn't resist!) -- when soy is also nutritious and made from the same stuff: the amino acids that are the building blocks of all the cells in your body. :)

As always, your physician may recommend one or the other -- or both -- depending on your specific needs.

From what I've read, soy and whey Proteins are equally viable.

From what I have read, and to follow the recommendations of my surgeon who is affiliated with a bariatric "Center of Excellence", and is not a product distributor of herbalife products, soy Protein is not considered to be a complete Protein source. This topic did come up in one of the patient education classes I attended pre op, and we were advised that in general even those who have sensitivities to regular dairy products can use whey isolate as they are considered to be lactose and nearly cholesterol free.

Soy has a different amino acid structure, one which has in several studies to be related to increased levels of hormones which have been linked to hormonal disorders in humans.

Soy is a source of complete protein, and since it is plant-based, it is a great alternative for vegans, vegetarians, and those with dairy allergies.

It is still controversial to state that soy is considered a complete protein, because in the field of nutrition studies many do not consider that to be an accurate statement. Vegetarians usually do use dairy products, as well as eggs. Whey isolate is generally considered to be both lactose and cholesterol free. Vegans would be the only group to stay with plant based Proteins to remain compliant with their self imposed dietary rules.

Anecdotally, when I've had whey isolate protein-based drinks they have not agreed with me. I haven't had the same discomfort (and other more graphic issues) with soy protein.

You may have an allergy to dairy products, and whey isolate protein may not be your best choice.

But it is really an individual thing, and in light of the research it seems unfair to call whey 'the best' -- 'my whey or the highway' (I couldn't resist!) -- when soy is also nutritious and made from the same stuff: the amino acids that are the building blocks of all the cells in your body. :)

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. As you mentioned, and I definitely agree, everyone should consult with their own nutritionists and surgeons as to what is the best source of protein to use while following a bariatric diet.

when soy is also nutritious and made from the same stuff: the amino acids

Well, no, as you said yourself, soy is not dairy. The amino acids are not derived from the same sources, so from a organic chemistry perspective, can they really be the same stuff? I'm not a chemist, and don't care to debate this topic. But, let's get back to basics. Most of us on the forum are not trying to build muscular physiques. We want a good, complete and nutritious source of protein which does not contain carbs or cholesterol.

Whey isolate protein is still considered to be the "Gold Standard" of proteins for bariatric patients. During the pre op nutrition class which I attended, we were advised that other types of protein were not considered to be complete, and lacked the amount of protein per gram of product which whey isolate provided.

I do not share my opinion as anything but what a "Center of Excellence" has stated in their patient education curriculum. You have written that you are a distributor of herbalife products. I would hope that you are not misusing the scope and contents of this forum to promote the use of your products, or to enhance your business interests in your distributorship.

It would also seem that, based on your profile, you have not had any bariatric surgery, and also do not need to loose any weight. So, as a matter of inquiring minds want to know... what are your reasons to be active on this forum?

That said, as one who, incidentally does have dairy allergies, I will continue to follow the instructions of my surgeon. 100% Whey Isolate protein...

Sorry for hijacking your thread, tflemon67. That wasn't my intention!

Thanks for your, ah...extensive reply, Carole! ;) I'm going to try to provide an adequate response:

we were advised that in general even those who have sensitivities to regular dairy products can use whey isolate as they are considered to be lactose and nearly cholesterol free.

Whey isolate is 99% lactose-free, but for many people with sensitivity this is not enough. I am allergic to cashews and hazelnuts, and my mother is allergic to peanuts; in most cases we aren't able to eat foods that are processed on the same equipment as those containing nuts. If you don't have any food allergies, count your lucky stars! :)

Soy has a different amino acid structure, one which has in several studies to be related to increased levels of hormones which have been linked to hormonal disorders in humans.

I've been a vegetarian for almost 15 years, and I'm (finally!) in excellent health; the vast majority of my Protein is from soy, much like many others in the vegetarian/vegan community. Does soy have these effects on some people? Most assuredly. But that is far from damning. Depending on the source (rBGH anyone?), dairy products have been shown to cause hormone issues as well. But similarly, it would be unfair to demonize dairy and suggest that it is not a useful source of Protein. I think there is room for many sources of protein, and research suggests that variety is a good thing.

I am not badmouthing whey. I think you felt that I was, and then assumed that I did so to promote Herbalife products. Incidentally, Herbalife has some products that use whey. I was simply objecting to the suggestion that whey is the be-all, end-all.

The amino acids are not derived from the same sources, so from a organic chemistry perspective, can they really be the same stuff?

I know you said you didn't want to get into it, but since you asked:

Amino acids are not derived; they are what Proteins are built from. A 'complete protein' is a protein that breaks down into the amino acids that are necessary for human nutrition (i.e. the body is unable to synthesize them itself, so we must come from our diet): histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine (and/or cysteine), phenylalanine (and/or tyrosine), threonine, tryptophan, and valine. Since these are present in soy protein, many in the scientific community consider it to be 'complete'. I tend to agree. The rest of the amino acids can be synthesized in the body from other precursors.

Scientific knowledge itself, of course, is never 'complete', so it may be that future research will augment or obviate some of what we know now. I am not familiar with this 'Center of Excellence'. What I do know is that peer-reviewed studies both around the world and the at the Center for Human Nutrition at UCLA (which has staff who advise Herbalife on nutrition) have found soy to be very nutritious. I also find it to be very tasty.

I do not share my opinion as anything but what a "Center of Excellence" has stated in their patient education curriculum. You have written that you are a distributor of herbalife products. I would hope that you are not misusing the scope and contents of this forum to promote the use of your products, or to enhance your business interests in your distributorship.

It would also seem that, based on your profile, you have not had any bariatric surgery, and also do not need to loose any weight. So, as a matter of inquiring minds want to know... what are your reasons to be active on this forum?

That said, as one who, incidentally does have dairy allergies, I will continue to follow the instructions of my surgeon. 100% Whey Isolate protein...

All good questions, and many good points.

You are correct, Carole: I have not been a bariatric patient. I had only heard of LapBand in passing and really didn't know much about it before joining this community. I also did not discover Herbalife until I had achieved my initial goals, but it has helped me achieve new milestones I wouldn't have dreamt of before.

Regarding my reason for being here: First and foremost, I have struggled with obesity since childhood, and I was drawn to this community of people who share many of the same struggles and passions that I do.

I have, at two points in my life (14 years ago and 4 years ago), weighed twice what I do now. The first time I lost the weight, I basically starved myself. Suffice to say, I gained it all back over time, as I was neither physically healthy, nor had I developed the healthy habits necessary to make the transformation sustainable.

Before my now-wife joined me on this journey, I was alone in my struggle with eating and weight-management. I know what it has meant to us to share our disappoinments and triumphs, and just support and encourage each other. That's what I really love about this community. And if my successes, failures, and other knowledge and experience can help inspire someone else to achieve their goals, that is something I want to be a part of.

I am sorry if I have done something to offend you personally. It wasn't my intention. I see a lot of people here who are excited about the individuals, products, and tools that they are utilizing to reach their goals, and I have been thrilled to participate.

Regarding professionalism: I am primarily an IT professional. Herbalife is my hobby. It is something I am passionate about because of my personal journey with weight loss, health, and nutrition -- and it's a nice break from the screen. ;)

Since you have scrutinized me a bit, I'm sure you've noticed that I don't link to products or give out my number or website here. It would be easy enough to do so, but I have been on my share of forums plagued by spammers and shameless self-promoters. I can't stand that either, so I don't do it. That isn't why I am here, and frankly I am more than happy to stick to my principles and keep my dignity. :)

I got into Herbalife as a distributor initially because my wife and I get a discount. My focus with customers, however, is on building relationships and helping them achieve their goals, and if feels like that is really only feasible locally, where I can work with them one-on-one. And at the end of the day, Herbalife doesn't pay me; my customers do.

So don't worry: I'm not trying to recruit you, Carole! But thanks for your interest in my background.

Question everything; the truth can withstand scrutiny. :)

I tried the EAS soy Protein Powder this morning mixed with pineapple juice and ice and it was hard to get down. Extremely chalky, after surgery I'll be limited to my shakes with just Water and maybe ice. I think I'll stick to the powder from True Results no chalky taste at all.

I tried the EAS soy Protein powder this morning mixed with pineapple juice and ice and it was hard to get down. Extremely chalky, after surgery I'll be limited to my shakes with just Water and maybe ice. I think I'll stick to the powder from True Results no chalky taste at all.

I've had some chalky ones too. Reminded me of the stuff I had to drink when I was in the hospital. /shudder

It's always a relief to find something that is enjoyable, especially if you're going to be drinking them every day. :)

Kekeboo, where do you find the banana Protein powder? I live in Alabama . I hope to find it. How do you make it? Do you use a blender or can you make it without a blender? Thank you!!!