Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Four Years Since The Start Of My Journey...and What I Have Learned

Four years ago, I began my journey and became a member of Lapband Talk. I am a Registered Nurse, and researched every article I could find on what type of surgery to have. When I went in for my initial family doctor's appointment, I was well prepared...I had already typed out my health history, weight history, and every diet plan I had ever tried. My doctor referred me to a bariatric doctor and I did the same with my surgeon's initial visit. Also included was a list of questions that I had about the surgery. I am sure they thought I was some geek. Here is what I have learned throughout the last 4 years and a bit of advice for those starting out.

1. Research pays off: talk to people that have had different types of bariatric surgeries. Look at the pros and cons. Can you handle the cons?

2. LBT provides great support. Use it and learn from others

3. If your insurance denies you, don't give up. I wrote a letter of appeal and got it. Just include research and your past medical history.

4. Restriction varies. You can be "tight" in the morning and then feel as though you have litle restriction in the evening.

5. Don't shoot for "too tight"...it is MISERABLE not being able to swallow your own spit.

6. If you are going to do this, then get pumped up and do it right...go all out! Follow the rules. Work out!

7. When you go out to eat, make sure you know where the closest bathroom is...just in case.

8. I often order more food than anyone else. My coworkers make fun of me. I know I still have an addiction to food...I only eat about 5 bites and I am done. Hey! I can make about 6 meals off of one dinner!!

9 Icecream might go down easy, but it can cause some people to have spasms. I can take a few bites and my band doesn't like it...a good thing.

10. Shoot for eating the hight protien foods first. At least get that in.

11. Some of those high Protein foods, like meats are dry and don't go down well. chicken is sometimes hard for me to eat.

12. I am always drawn to the "big girl" clothes. I am still a "fat chick" in my head.

13. Many bandsters talk about marriages ending after the band...mine did. He didn't like a "fat wife"and was embarrassed of me in public, so I left him when I lost the weight. Hope he is choking on those mean words!

14. The band is a TOOL! Use it as such. Don't continously drink high calorie drinks and wonder why you don't lose weight.

15. I have not had a carbonated beverage in 4 years. Never thought I could do it..but I don't miss it!

16. If you lose restriction all of a sudden, and it doesnt come back for days, then something is wrong...I had a leak in my port..had to get it replaced.

17. People will look at you and treat you differently when you are thinner. There are people that talk about "fat" people and when I tell them that I had weight loss surgery they can't believe it..I know they would never have given me the time of day, 4 years ago.

18. Don't eat bread or french fries..they don't go down well if you have the proper restriction.

19. Drink before your meal and then stop when your food is done.

20. Most places will let you eat off of the kids menu and buffets will let you have the discounted price (bring your card). If they don't, then speak to the manager. There is no sense in paying and adult price at a buffet when you are going to eat less than a 3 year old.

18. Enjoy your new life. Enjoy being healthy!

Thank you for sharing what you have learned. It has been useful.

Inspiring !! Thank you for sharing !!

Great post! Thanks for sharing! I'm 3 years out and agree with what you wrote whole heartedly!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Thank you so much for this!

Talk about your good deed for the day! :)

Thank you so much for sharing!

I could not have said it any better. Great job, I too am 4 years out and I have slid and gained back 8 pounds and am working on it before it becomes more. I have no fills, but this heat wave we are having is helping me to not eat much, got stuck two days in a row on a piece of hamburg. You have done a great job! Very inspiring.

Thank you so much for the advice....I am on my 3rd day pre-op. You are very inspiring!

Thanks!