Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS (Poly Cycstic Ovarian Disease)

Anyone have experience with PCOS. I have been diagnosed with it for years now. Finally had the surgery was just hoping that some symptoms from PCOS would start going away. :-) Anyone have any thoughts on it. Thanks !

I had PCOS and after one surgery to remove cysts they came right back within several months. It ended killing my ovaries and so had to have hysterectomy. I am still suffering from the weight gain from the PCOS and was banded in 1/06

I was dx'ed with PCOS in 2000. I had all the typical symptoms (weight gain, cysts, acne, IR, infertility, hair, absent periods, and on and on)

13 months down the track, my 3000mg of Metformin is down to 500mg (I am comming of slowly, my insulin and sugars are perfect now) I am down to 77kg, from 135kg, I have perfectly clear skin (I get the odd sopt just before I get my period) and I have a 28 day cycle for the first time in my life!

I still have some hair on my chin and arms, but there is far less than before.

I hope that helps a little.

I have PCOS. Everyone's symptoms are in different ranges, but one thing is for sure, it packs the weight on.

My hair is so thin now it's depressing. And I used to be a hair model! I shave everyday, my periods are so heavy I become anemic, high choletrol, insulin resistance etc etc.

I'm hoping the surgery will help. My endocranologist is the one who first suggested this surgery to me.

I've probably has it for 10 years (undiagnosed then). Anyway, my periods the last 5 years have been nonexistent without "help." Once, I had surgery my periods have been coming every month with out meds. My extra "hair" growth has slowed a bit, but still there. I am 6 months out. Shawn

I am really gald I came up on this thread. I personally do not have PCOD, but was discussing my weight loss surgery with a young lady on Friday (who really needs to have something done!) and she said that she had been told that due to her PCOD she would have to have some other type of weight loss surgery other than the LapBand. Something about her insulin resistence and fluctuating blood sugars. I really did not know much about PCOD, so I just left her comment where it was. I did tell her that she need not put too much into a comment like that if it came from a surgeon who performs both types of weight loss surgeries, as they tend to make much more from the bypass surgery than the LapBand. She commented that he was a retired surgeon (probably never performed a LapBand procedure in his life).

The insulin resistence/blood sugar comment really puzzled me. Then I got to thinking about it later, and thought, why would the LapBand be problematic with fluctuating blood sugars? You can basically take in food at any time, if needed, and can tolerate a much larger variety of food than with RNY, etc. I will have to tell her to get a second opinion now that I know others have done it and are doing fine.

Thank you for the responses. I hope more and more people respond too. I am really hoping once the weight starts coming off that the Hair growth will too. I have to shave every day and it is the most embarassing thing in the world being a female and having so much hair growth. :-( Let alone the 150 extra pounds I carry. :-) OH MY OH MY....

Guest j. lynn

I have PCOS. I haven't had a period without medication starting one since I was 14. Until I has 8 months post-op. Since then I've been regular.

jayme

I always sing the praises of low carb. Even though I am still heavy, low carb regulates my periods. I have to keep my carbs under 80 a day. Cycles are normal. Mind you, I do not lose weight regardless, but no pain with cycles and they come regularly. No band yet but hoping that the band will help too. Do some research on PCOS and you will see more and more doctors are recommending a low carb lifestyle for their PCOS patients.

Good luck.

I was diagnosed for pcos at 14 as well. I'm 31 -203lbs at 5'3 inches and I'm going this wed to see if I fit the requirements for the lapband. I'm nervous as all hell BUT I'm sooo tired of dieting and Never having any major success!

I was diagnosed for pcos at 14 as well. I'm 31 -203lbs at 5'3 inches and I'm going this wed to see if I fit the requirements for the lapband. I'm nervous as all hell BUT I'm sooo tired of dieting and Never having any major success!

hi there im the same as you and i am having the lap band on next friday . But i'm just worry that im not going to lose the weight have you had the lap band done???

i would love to talk to you if you have had it ..

I have had PCOS since I was about 13 and I was very thin until I was about 16 (130 at most). Started Metformin when I was about 20 and it was successful for me. I gave birth to my beautiful daughter at 22 years old, May 2009.

I am 5'1 and after I gave birth I was weighing a whopping 250lbs (gained 53lbs). I lost most of the weight shortly after. I had gallbladder removal surgery November 2009 and then I went down to 198....right after that up to 208. I coudn't get lower than 200 with dieting so decided that I would have the lap band surgery. With problems like PCOS, sciatica, high cholesterol and asthma, my surgery was approved in 4 days.

I had my lap band surgery on the 15th of this month. I started the liquid diet 7 days prior and have lost about 16lbs so far. I am still on liquids until the 29th but I think I am going to continue the slim fast and only have dinner. I get my first fill on January 19th. I didn't get the gastric bypass because I only have about 85 lbs to reach my goal weight. (now 70 with the recent 15lb loss)

Anyone have any questions about anything I will be happy to answer & Good Luck with your journey <3