Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adding More Protein After Exercise?

Should I be adding more Protein if I am working out one very hard core hour at gym? Or do I stay with 60 grams?

weight.png

It's best to consume your Protein after your workout, an hour after. I have had two trainers tell me this. Your metabolism is going to be the highest after your workout and you need to refuel your muscles after working them so hard. When I did weight training and cardio 5x a week for two hours I was told to aim for 90 grams a day. Protein levels should be increase by how long and the intensity of your workout. But remember your body can only process about 25 grams of protein at a time, the rest goes in urine.

That's good to know about the 25 grams.

Thank you for the information. I added more Protein after workout. But...I also have learned to hydrate more:)

weight.png

I take a bit of Protein before a workout for a little energy boost, then after for recovery.

BUT I never confuse eating along with exercising. My goal has always been to burn fat and glycogen, not replenish it.

I'm currently working out 2 hrs a day at 5:30am, 5 days a week.

Run for 30 minutes, then weights, finished with 20-30 minutes on the elliptical.

30 minutes in the sauna, then 15 minutes in the whirlpool.

I go through 32 oz's of Water during this period.

Did I mention I am 60 years old and a heart attack survivor?

Wow!!!! That's great all this exercise. I'm actually enjoying it but feel like I'm lacking energy. We are doing three body parts per night plus 20 min hardcore cardio. Needless to say, I am tired!

weight.png

It's best to consume your Protein after your workout, an hour after. I have had two trainers tell me this. Your metabolism is going to be the highest after your workout and you need to refuel your muscles after working them so hard. When I did weight training and cardio 5x a week for two hours I was told to aim for 90 grams a day. Protein levels should be increase by how long and the intensity of your workout. But remember your body can only process about 25 grams of protein at a time, the rest goes in urine.

Having read up a lot regarding this protein intake issue i agree with what Sam has written, the majority of reports and research i read said to eat your protein within an hour of doing hard exercise. That protein powders were always meant to be a suppliment to a normal nutritional diet and not a replacement for it and that the body can only metabolise 25 grms of protein per go.. seems the majority of this info was from looking into all the protein hard core weightlifters and bodybuildrers consumed .

Wow!!!! That's great all this exercise. I'm actually enjoying it but feel like I'm lacking energy. We are doing three body parts per night plus 20 min hardcore cardio. Needless to say, I am tired!

The difference between before I knew what I was doing and now -- since I have a Protein Shake to help recovery -- is incredible. Knowledge is power, right? :)

Having all of the nutrition your body needs daily is crucial, as it fuels both your workouts and your day-to-day life. Everything is just so much harder without it. I don't feel wiped out anymore, even though I used to take it for granted that I would.

But having the extra Protein after a workout gives your body what it needs to build muscle. Being able to workout again the next day (and sometimes even exercise again the same day!) is always a plus. ;)

Athletes of all kinds really need to be able to keep pushing themselves over and over again, but the rest of us can definitely benefit from just being able to move the next day. If I skip a day it just makes it easier for me to skip another. :P

It has been found that 2.0 to 2.2 g/kg/day of Protein was barely sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance during moderate intensity weight training. Furthermore, weightlifter's Protein requirements increased proportionally to training intensity. Research has shown that 2.0 to 2.6 g/kg/day of protein are required for periods of very intense weight training, whereas protein intakes of 2.0 g/kg/day maintained a positive nitrogen balance during periods of less intense weight training. It is clear that athletes need to consume more protein than the current USRDA for 0.8 g/kg/day in order to maintain nitrogen balance. (http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Protein.html).

Obese individuals eating a slightly higher protein diet (25% of calories from protein), lost significantly more weight and body fat than those eating a slightly lower protein diet (12% of calories from protein). (Skov, et. al., 1999).

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html will help you determine how many calories you should consume in a 24 hour day based on acitvity level. Then you take that number and figure out how many grams of protein you need during that day (i.e. I consume 40% of my calories as protein, 35% carbohydrates and 25% fat for macronutrients which is based on my activities/goals I've set up with my trainer).

All that being said, I've been trained to consume an easy absorption protein immediately after a weight training workout and within 1 hour after a cardio workout. Usually I'll have a smoothie with extra servings of whey protein in it (which you can make on your own and bring to the gym or pick up at places like Barnes & Noble cafe/Starbucks). I do the B&N cafe banana chocolate smoothie with skim milk and 3 scoops of whey protein so there's approximately 300 calories and 24 grams of protein in the smoothie. It's cold, refreshing, yummy and has some of my macronutrients that I require and is easily and quickly absorbed (vs. eating a piece of meat).

Tanya in NY

Thanks I've been doing Protein recovery after my workouts and making sure I'm hydrated. We started changing our workout routine from 10 reps to 20 reps, 3 body parts plus 30 minutes of cardio. I'm wiped out and arms burn which means I needed this workout in those under arm ( brachio area?) love it!!!!!

weight.png