Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Following The First Consultation Can I Expect To Have Surgery?

Hello There! I'm a newbie and my first consultation is on July 27th, 2012. i was wondering how soon after that initial meeting can i expect to have surgery? i've already begun my pre-surgery weight loss and am down 8 pounds. :) also, if there is anything that you would like to share about your pre-surgery experiences please do! I am a little nervous about the surgery but thats just my stupid anxiety. was anyone else really nervous?

There is no set answer for that, It depends on your insurance requirements, how quickly you can get through all the pre-op appointments (psychologist, nutrionist, possibly even a sleep study), and how quickly the surgeon's office submits everything. Plus, some insurance companies require a 6 month doctor supervised diet before you can qualify for WLS,

Sorry there's not a specific answer, I was banded less than a month after my consultation, but I know others that end up having to wait almost a year,

Best wishes!

thank you so much!

Do you have insurance? If so, do you know the requirements to be eligible for surgery? Usually it's 35+ BMI with two co-morbidites or 40+ BMI without. If you are close to the 40 BMI mark, be careful about losing too much weight and falling below. Insurance usually counts the first weigh-in at the surgeon's office as the starting weight. If it's too low, you could be ineligible for insurance covered surgery.

I do have insurance. this has worried me and i am taking my weight loss very carefully. I do know that my BMI is well over 40 so i believe i will be ok for the insurance to cover it but thank you for reminding me about this concern! :)

I do have insurance. this has worried me and i am taking my weight loss very carefully. I do know that my BMI is well over 40 so i believe i will be ok for the insurance to cover it but thank you for reminding me about this concern! :)

Didn't mean to worry you :) I was literally clinging to five pounds to be above 40, so I always want to warn people. If you've got weight to lose and you'll still be in a safe zone , I'd say go for it!

I tried to have as much done before my appointment, I knew they needed two years of medical records so I had those printed and took them with me. I hope it goes quick for you. My consult was on 5/16 and my surgery is 8/6. Its so different for everyone, stay positive I honestly think it will be well worth the time waiting!

I would call your insurance and ask that the specifics of their requirements. You are your own health care proxy. Make sure you know exactly what your insurance covers and whether they have a diet period (some are six months). Every insurance policy is different; depending on what your company chose to cover.

My insurance had not diet period. My doctor however had quite a few requirements.

1) Consult: 1 hr meetings with Nurse Practitioner, Psychologist, Nutritionist. Was told I had to loose 35 pounds before surgery. I met that requirement in 3 months. More on that later.

2) Had to provide records that I'd had my yearly Mammogram, Pap Smear, Cardio Ultrasound, Yearly Physical.

3) 3 group sessions with a Eating Disorder Psychologist (EDP). If your doctor does not require meeting with a EAP; go on your own!!! So much of this journey/battle is mental. You need to understand why you overeat and what foods trigger your overeating.

4) Several follow up meetings with the Nurse Practioner and one with surgeon to track weight loss.

5) Preop meeting with anesthesiologist.

6) Preop meeting to discuss "diet" for the month post op (liquids to mushies to solids).

I lost my 35 pounds but had a blood clot in the brain that had not completely disolves. My surgery had to be postponed another 4 months. I did end up loosing a total of 50 pounds preop.

I had to do 6 months for insurance (7 visits). Started in Sept '11 , office didn't submit til April. Had surgery May 29. I think my process was a little longer than most. Good Luck!

thank you all so so much!!

If your insurance requires a 6 month wait and you have other health problems i.e. Diabetes or high blood pressure they may wave the 6 month wait. I WAS diabetic and my initial appointment was 8-10-11 and insurance said 6 months. We resubmitted and I was approved and had surgery 9-20-11.