Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A big piece of me feels somewhat ashamed to be here, but another side knows it is time and realizes I need to be here. I was banded more than 4 years ago, but never completed the regimen of adjustments and did not keep up with my doctor. I paid for my surgery entirely out of pocket as my insurance company was unwilling to pay for it. You would think the large cash outlay would have motivated me to see this through. Well the recession coupled with a poor insurance policy meant that I had to continue to foot all the bills out of pocket, something I could not do for the last three years. I basically let several thousands of dollars just go to waste, while all the weight I had lost in the first half year or so just came back, even with a lap band reminding me each day that what I was doing was unhealthy.

Tonight, I went back to my bariatric surgeon for the first time since the fall 2008. I am starting over. No they are not taking the band out, but we are going back to square one. He was extremely supportive and spent the time walking me through what happened and how we can start the process again with an adjustment and a regimented diet prepared with the practice's dietitian. I am on a week 2 diet in preparation for the adjustment (yummy mushy food), and am going to the gym tomorrow for the first time in three years, if nothing else to start the mental preparation of succeeding in this journey, once and for all.

I am a 41 year old husband and father of three children, 14,12,8 (girl, girl, boy). I live in northern New Jersey and work in finance for a health care company (started in 2012) that appreciates and encourages good healthy habits. The new company and the emphasis on well being motivated me to take this big step and start again.

Thanks for reading this banter. For those on the road to surgery, I offer you this advice - put your health first and keep with this program. It works if you dedicate yourself to it.

Thank you for your story!!!

There are many people who come on this forum and are in a similar situation.They are also afraid to go back to their doctor. When I went to my WLS seminar one of the PA's told us a similar story. What I took away from his story was that they are there to help us - not to berate us.

I have recently started getting a lot of compliments on my weight loss. It is no secret that I have had WLS. I do tell people though that I can still gain the weight back and keeping it off is the scary part for me. Stories like yours are great reminders that we are not alone on our journey!

You shouldn't be ashamed at all, you should be proud of yourself for having the courage not only to swallow your pride and start over but to admit where you went wrong in the past.

We're human, we all make mistakes. Put the past behind you and start over today from day one. It's wonderful you've gone back to your doctor and getting fills again. I really think you'll do well this time around because you're honest with yourself, your head seems to be in the right place, and you know what you need to do to succeed.

Best wishes to you and welcome :)

Good for you for jumping back in. It sounds like you have a good dr & support system. Just do your best each day & start counting all the nsv's & weight loss. It goes by much more quickly than you think. You're working hard to take care of your family. Remember to take care of you!

One of the biggest reasons for people gaining weight back is not going back to your surgeon and giving up on a lifestyle that was helping u lose weight .. i.e exercising ..

I have noticed that so many people on here that fall off the bandwagon do not return to their doctors, for some of us, its essential we keep this contact up as it helps keep us accountable ... being accountable for our weight and health and success helps us in the long term ...

All cudos for you for having the courage to return to your surgeon and start this process again .. wishing u good luck :)

Happy Dance time.

tmf

You should be so elated to have this opportunity come back to you. I also put health first. Being 64 years old and having to pay out of pocket I certainly didn't want to waste my money.

I wish you al the luck in the world and I am sure this is it for you. I will be anxious to read updates from you. My feelings are if I can do it so can you.

Hugs to you and the family. yayayayayay

A big piece of me feels somewhat ashamed to be here, but another side knows it is time and realizes I need to be here. I was banded more than 4 years ago, but never completed the regimen of adjustments and did not keep up with my doctor. I paid for my surgery entirely out of pocket as my insurance company was unwilling to pay for it. You would think the large cash outlay would have motivated me to see this through. Well the recession coupled with a poor insurance policy meant that I had to continue to foot all the bills out of pocket, something I could not do for the last three years. I basically let several thousands of dollars just go to waste, while all the weight I had lost in the first half year or so just came back, even with a lap band reminding me each day that what I was doing was unhealthy.

Tonight, I went back to my bariatric surgeon for the first time since the fall 2008. I am starting over. No they are not taking the band out, but we are going back to square one. He was extremely supportive and spent the time walking me through what happened and how we can start the process again with an adjustment and a regimented diet prepared with the practice's dietitian. I am on a week 2 diet in preparation for the adjustment (yummy mushy food), and am going to the gym tomorrow for the first time in three years, if nothing else to start the mental preparation of succeeding in this journey, once and for all.

I am a 41 year old husband and father of three children, 14,12,8 (girl, girl, boy). I live in northern New Jersey and work in finance for a health care company (started in 2012) that appreciates and encourages good healthy habits. The new company and the emphasis on well being motivated me to take this big step and start again.

Thanks for reading this banter. For those on the road to surgery, I offer you this advice - put your health first and keep with this program. It works if you dedicate yourself to it.

I too started over after having a baby and not properly taking care of my band. My DR was very supportive and ive been back on track and have lost 27 pounds in the last 3 months since i have been doing what im suppose to be doing. Good luck to you and congrats on taking charge of ur life and ur lapband again.

FAT IS OUT AND THIN IS IN. TAKE THE TIME TO WORK ON IT FOR YOURSELF.AND YOUR FAMILY. IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN TOO.

I was on the same boat as you! We pretty much have the same story, but I'm a female, no kids and I don't live in NJ lol. Anyway, since getting back on the band wagon, I have lost a ton of weight (weighed in at 314 in December, down to 258 as of yesterday).

I'm glad your surgeon is supportive, take it one step at a time, and you'll reach your goals!

Keep up the good work!

Well one week in and a new fill. Thankfully no damage to the small pouch or slippage of the band. I went in on Friday and had the saline adjusted. I know a lot of the early weight is Water and junk, but seven days on eleven pounds off is not too bad of a start.

As long as you start, it doesn't matter what you didn't do.

Your post encouraged alot of people. Including me.

Thank you for that and congrats.