Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Do When Food Gets Stuck?

What to do when food gets stuck? I ate this morning and it feels like its still there!! Stuck right in my chest area!! Should I go vomit!! I can't take this feeling!!! HELP!!!

I usually try to tough it out if its killin ya id fet rid of it.. I saw some ppl on here said a few sips of pineapple juice will help it slide threw

I'm newly banded so haven't gotten anything stuck yet as I'm still on mushies until later today but a fellow bander/friend of mine told me about pills at GNC I think they are called papya/mango pills and you take them when you get stuck. I am not sure what they do for you but she swears by them and I've heard other people swear by them also. Hope you feel better.

I have gotten stuck - several times - and hot liquid (tea), pineapple juice and pills don't help me. Too Stuck for anything to go through. I slime, PB and then god willing, throw it up. The pain hurts, can't breathe, cant swallow. It is awful and 99% of the time it my own fault. Too big, too fast, too much, didn't chew long enough. LISTEN to you body and STOP eating getting stuck is no picnic !

Melinda in Florida

I have gotten stuck - several times - and hot liquid (tea)' date=' pineapple juice and pills don't help me. Too Stuck for anything to go through. I slime, PB and then god willing, throw it up. The pain hurts, can't breathe, cant swallow. It is awful and 99% of the time it my own fault. Too big, too fast, too much, didn't chew long enough. LISTEN to you body and STOP eating getting stuck is no picnic !

Melinda in Florida[/quote']

Amen sister! I get the same way! I'm at the point where I don't feel comfortable eating out anywhere I want to eat at home just in case I need to run to the bathroom! I slime big time and PB! It sucks but I am still trying to train myself after a year with my band.

After my first year when I'd cough and cough to get something out- now I just do the unglam thing and stick my finger in my mouth until I "expel" what's stuck. Then it's usually back to liquids for the rest of the day

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

PB PB PB....when it happened it is because I did not chew or the bite was just more than I needed.

Th e slimes are the worst. I agree; I rarely go out to eat; can;t eat enough to make it work buying A TACO at the Tex Mex place. Had a stuck while out with friends, they thought I was choking and asked if I needed help.

Sorry if this sounds jaded- it has been 4 years for me- I've learned how to handle it quietly in the bathroom- took a while but glad I did

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

KimJ - Thank you..I thought i was the only one (after one year) who was having this problem. Glad to know I am not alone here...

Melinda in Florida

What is PB?

It stands for productive burping- not sure who came up with that stupid term but it refers to when you expel particles and material that gets stuck in your band and the stuff that's in you pouch above it

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

I hear ya. Last night I was stuck for 3.5 hours on sashimi. Guess I didn't chew well enough. You'd think I'd learn after almost 3 years, lol. But that was definitely the longest I've been stuck and retching 5 times didn't help. Once it got later on, and I got most of it out, I drank some hot green tea. It pushed it through. Most of the time I won't touch liquids when I'm stuck because it makes it worse, but I had a correct feeling that it would help this time.

I used to take papaya tablets, but a couple years ago I had an allergic reaction the day after Christmas to SOMETHING and blew up like a pufferfish. I had read that you can develop sudden allergies to the papaya extract, so I never took it again because it freaked me out so much. I also had eaten rudabaga for the first time, so it could have been that. OR it could have been completely unrelated to foods since it occured the next morning while I was sleeping. I woke up and could see my cheeks. I looked in the mirror and I didn't even recognize myself.

Omg . Banded 2 1/2 months now and having my first episode. I'm sliming ! It is disgusting. So uncomfortable.

I've had a few episodes of getting stuck. I usually just wait for it to go down about 20 minutes or I go the bathroom. I only go the the bathroom when I know I ate too much and I feel the food in my throat.

It's so nice to know that the sliming thing is normal! I got stuck the other day and freaked out hen I saw that slime stuff. Ew!