Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Gain Weight Before Surgery?

Yes, it's another Leenerbups "freaking out thread"....lol

Hey all, due to that time of the month arriving just in time for surgery (of course) I gained weight due to getting the hormonal hungries.

I also am up 6 lbs since my consultation and and that worries me. They told me not to gain any more and to try to lose it or they may not operate if I gain any more. Of course I have not lost it, and probably am up. Anyone gain wait prior to surgery?

:speechles

OOOO that suck... See my surgen had a 0 pound rule... if i were to gain 1 pound between my consult and surgery he would refuse to do surgery on me... Try taking Water pills... You can drop a few pounds doing that...

Good Luck!!!

Kim

I gained 10 pounds before my surgery. My doc too once look at the scales, looked at me, and patted my arm, told me that it was okay, and they would get me fixed up in no time.

I had about 6 weeks between consultation & surgery, and gained about 10 lbs. I really paid no attention to what I ate during that time. No one told me not to, and I was never weighed on the day of surgery.

They said they would be weighing me. They are strict about this rule.

I should probably fast huh? I have until Monday morning

I wans't weighed the day of surgery-the last time they (doctors office) weighed me was the last visit before surgery. Once I got to the hospital I had little time before the surgery and they didn't weigh me there. In fact I gained a 2 pounds between my office visit and the surgery. I am not saying that you should go crazy and "last supper it" but I woiuldn't get nuts about a few pounds.

hey girl, I understand your concern. My Pre-op nurse said as long as i had not gained 6-7 pounds we would be ok. Something about newly gained fat goes to the abdomen. Just take a Water pill or two over the weekend, then make sure and tell them "Oh man, I sure I am glad I didn't plan on wearing my rings today. I bet I wouldn't even be able to get them on..." Then make fun of you toes, "Wow, look how swollen my toes even are...gosh I retain SOoooOOOoooOOOoo much Water during that time of the month...":heh:

Trust me sister...I bet that that doctor is gonna see that $15 grand before he is going to see a couple of pounds. Its gonna be fine...stop fretting, ( then again, as soon as you calm down, I will be freaking out!)

((((((HUGS))))))

I can drop about five or six pounds in a week when I first start dieting by sticking to all liquids. Try Slim Fast, protien powder drinks, and sugar free juices. Stay away from chicken broth or anything else with alot of sodium. I lost alot in my first week after surgery just from the liquid diet. You don't have to starve, the Slim Fast is very filling. Also, drink like 90 ounces of Water a day. That will flush the water weight out really well. Good luck!

I've gained 10lbs in 2 months. Not what I wanted to do. My BMI is a little over the limit my doctor sets for laparoscopic surgery with the weight gain. He suggested I do the liquid diet for longer :confused: I don't have a date yet so I'm trying to watch calories and get it off. It doesn't help that I had my period both times I went back in to see him!!!! Next visit I hope not to have it, so maybe some pounds will be gone!

I had lost 3 lbs. then at my last visit to set the surgery date I had gained seven. I told the doctor I had quit smoking and was trying to fight both battles. Plus my insurance was changing and they were not going to cover the operation, I had a appointment within two weeks to be banded on Dec. 30th. And they were strict also about the no weight gain. It all in how you present it.

I did the same thing.... I quit smoking so I blamed it on that. But being over weight you flucuate so much. I think you should definetly sweat it out drink alot of Protein and just WORK it OUT. I don't think they weight you on the day of surgery. I was told they want you to loose weight before your surgery because, the first place you start to loose weight is your liver. Which is behind your stomach. So if your liver is SHRUNK the surgery goes better. BUT again maybe your doctor is just trying to make things easier on himself. Don't worry about it. You don't need that stress in your life right now. KEEP YOUR CHIN UP... you will only have to worry about loosing weight after this one... not putting on. :-)

Yes, it's another Leenerbups "freaking out thread"....lol

Hey all, due to that time of the month arriving just in time for surgery (of course) I gained weight due to getting the hormonal hungries.

I also am up 6 lbs since my consultation and and that worries me. They told me not to gain any more and to try to lose it or they may not operate if I gain any more. Of course I have not lost it, and probably am up. Anyone gain wait prior to surgery?

:speechles

Yeh...I've gained 15 lbs since Dec. I got very sick with my Asthma and ended up in the hospital taking huge doses of steroids which sent my weight up. I have a tentative surgery date of April 17th(if ins.co. doesn't denie me) I will try to loss this by then but the doctors office is not putting any pressure on me. Try taking those weight loss teas and getting in some exercise. That should do it; but don't worry you'll do fine! Congratz on your surgery date and I'll see you on the other side.:clap2:

I gained 10-15 lbs, but my initial consultation was in April and my surgery in August.