Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Excited! Tt Four Years After Lapband!

So, I don't want to jinx it but I have a surgery date set for July 25th, about 4 days shy of my 4th bandiversary. I've wanted this since I lost about 50 pounds. I'll try and post pictures after my surgery, but it may take awhile since I'm a huge wuss and will probably be in severe pain, however, I know it'll be worth it. :)

Just a small question for those out there that HAVE had a TT (or a C-section, or some kind of similar surgery).....How badly exactly does it hurt? I didn't take any pain pills after my lapband but that was laproscopic and I'm not sure if I can take that as a measure of my pain tolerance....

I have had two c-sections. It hurt like hell the first time I had to walk after the proceedure. Then it was super fast recovery.

I have not had a TT but cant wait till I can say I have lost enough weight to get one.

Best wishes.

My c-section wasn't bad. The first day was painful and then I was good to go. I also had good pain medication that allowed me to function. You'll be fine :)

ticker_335033_bodyweight.png

I just had a tt and br 4 weeks ago and was AMAZED at the little to no pain I had. They inject anesthesia (?) or some type of deadner into your body cavity at the time of surgery so you don't have that immediate pain when you wake up. For my TT I also had a vertical incision so he could repair the muscles in my upper abdomen. Truthfully the sides of that vertical incision was the only thing I felt. It was like I had done 1000 sit ups!! My biggest issue was emotional unrest not pain. Having two major surgeries at once really played mind games on me. I was extremely lucky in that my sister is the head nurse for the practice I used and I stayed with her Fter my surgery so she took care of my drains and the incision care. Good luck and DON'T worry about the pain. Your PS will make certain that is managed. They don't want you in pain because that affects healing.

the thing that hurt the most after my tt was the stomach muscles that were tightened. make sure you use a pillow to get up and keep on your compression garment. that really helps.

I have heard its pretty brutal but short-lived and well worth it...I am chicken to do it and I hate to lay out that amount of cash...especially since my port already looks like a golf ball and they said that wont go away...

I'm excited for you! I had mine done the beginning of this year and I am so glad I did. I had to take my pain medication for 3 days and I set my alarm clock to go off when the next dose was due to "stay ahead of the pain" the muscle tightening is what hurts but staying hunched over with a pillow really helped. The pain is worth it and it goes by fast just make sure you have plenty of books to read or movies to watch it can get kinda boring laying around but 4 days after surgery I was walking the neighborhood.

Wow, how exciting!

I dont think it hurt that much - other than coughing, sneezing and laughing (OMG, you will do ANYthing to avoid that for a few weeks!). I had a five day hospital stay - we dont get kicked out here. That really helped. I didnt need major pain meds after the first two days and by the time I was home, I was taking nothing at all.

What does bug you is not pain but swelling, immobility, bowel difficulties, impatience to see your new shape, wearing the compression garment, that type of thing. Its a very long recovery to the point where you can say, go out and run and do a full gym program again and the changed pressure in my abdomen has actually caused me some pelvic floor issues that I now have to have treatment for (dont worry, I'm a special case, lots of pelvic radiation, bowel surgery etc). He sewed my muscles up super duper tight, I felt like I couldnt take a deep breath for about two months.

Thanks you guys for the advice on what to expect. Keep the comments coming. I'm thankful I'll be spending a night in the hospital and after that I'll be at my mother's place until I heal up....or until one of us goes insane, which is highly likely.

How many of you experienced smaller stomach/tighter band after the TT?

I was going to have my dr put in about 1/4 cc but I'm still debating.

Xavier,

I'm actually getting a port revision as well. Standing up straight, my port sticks out by almost an inch. I really like creeping people out with it haha. But my doctor said he may try a slimmer port...but here's the kicker...he's sewing it under my muscle. It's going to hurt big time. They'll be getting cut open and then stitched up tight again.

Jachut,

At first I was irritated my doctor wanted me to spend the night in the hospital but from what I've heard from everybody it's probably for the best.

I had a TT & to be honest, it hurt but was one of the best things I ever did. The tightening of the stomach muscle hurt & I was on pain meds for about 2 weeks. I didn't feel decent until about 4 weeks out & I hated the drains...my surgeon was awesome. Scar care was also very important to me as a black women our scars tend to be dark. I took alot of care to not over do it & I protected my scar with protective scar silicone for months afterwords. My LapBand was nothing compared to my TT but worth it. It's worth it.