Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have just straight Medicaid for their fills, my insurance for the band was anthem (through Medicaid) but my anthem lapsed the day after surgery, I'm due for my 1st fill next week & was wondering if anyone has had Medicaid approve the fills?

I am in Illinois and have just Medicaid..my surgery and all pre evaluation appts were covered, i just had my first fill on june 4 and was told it was covered, i havent heard differently so far, so im assuming its all good..it better be anyway cuz im going to get my second fill mid july

generally medicaid is for low income or no income families and it is insurance through the state...the best way to find out about it is to google search "apply for Louisiana Medicaid" I would think that would take you to the right website and give you all the information.

Hi. Texas medicaid makes you go through a 6 month weight loss program (nutritionist [$450] and counseling [$450]--not covered--self paid) before they will set a surgery date. In addition, there are many tests, such as a sleep test and EKG, which I am not sure they cover. However, they will cover the surgery and the over night stay in the hospital; but, the fills are not covered (again, self paid--cost $50 each). If you miss any visits, you have to begin again. For some, there are local surgeons; however, where I live, it is a four hour drive to see a surgeon. Tx Medicaid puts the patient through hoops to make sure they are serious about having the surgery. As I explained to my surgeon, I would not be driving four hours (in the Texas summer hot, with a 3 yr. old and with gas as high as it is) if I wasn't serious. So far, I have been to the seminar (sp) and the initial consulation with my surgeon. Next week, I go to the nutritionist for my first of six visits. I hope that this helps. I am excited and scared to start this journey!

Cassandra

I understand that medcaid is for low income family. But I tried serval years ago to get it. I had no income at the time my mom was loaning me money for my bills I have 6 kids and still got turned down for it. Now my kids do have it. But I don't know of anyone in LA that's gets it unless they r a child or old or disabled.

Wow... my tax dollars at work..... in the mean time i get up every freaking day and go to work while going to school and raising a family. So i can pay for insurance, co pays and medicine. For others to continue to get a free ride...

Wow... my tax dollars at work..... in the mean time i get up every freaking day and go to work while going to school and raising a family. So i can pay for insurance' date=' co pays and medicine. For others to continue to get a free ride...[/quote']

AGREED.

Ok. How do you go about getting medcaid? I'm in Louisiana. Plz help!

That a good question.... Well, first you have to not have a job or one that pays very little, sit around all freaking day and be a complete burden on your government and the economy.... I think that pretty much sums it up.... in a nut shell

For Bayougirlmrsc and bandedgorJess,

Being judgemental much? Please don't judge me without knowing my history. Both my husband (full-time) and I work (part-time). However, we are raising our grandchild (who has developmental and behavioal problems); therefore, one of us has to be available for her at all times. In addition, my husband has worked for 45 years and I have worked for over 25 years. Thus, we have paid into the system. At this time, my husband is working for someone who does not provide us with insurance. We have gone for 12 years without insurance and have paid our own way. (We can not afford self-provided insurance due to pre-existing health conditions). Like you, Bayougirlmrsc, I went to school full-time (graduated Summa Cum Laude, top honors), worked 2 part-time jobs, raised a child with bipolar disorder, began raising a baby, and paid taxes during this 12 year period. And yes, I have looked and am looking for employment in my field without success. Also, I am going to return to school in the spring to continue to further my education. During this time, both my husband and I will continue to work. I am very grateful to have this oppurtunity to be insured and will not waste or abuse it. If necessary, I will work out a payment plan to have to surgery. It is medically necessary for me to have this surgery. Finally, I thought this formum was a supportive one. Your responses were not supportive and were cruel. For everyone else, thanks for the support.

Cassandra

@Bayougirlmrsc I agree with Dollgirl, especially about this site being a supportive group.

For you to play God and put judgement on others is mind blowing to me. You are generalizing and putting everyone in the same category as perhaps those that abuse the system

. God forbid if ever something devastating happens to your life and you need government assistance. And according to your words you have to work everyday so therefore you don't have the money to take care of yourself for a long period of time if you become disable or etc. If you have family to take care of you, I wonder would that be a burden? I'm not saying that family thinks a person is a burden, I think it's a wonderful thing when family cares and help. But just a passing thought since you mention burden.

There are plenty people that have worked decades and have paid taxes and perhaps unemployed or disable and etc. that suddendly needed well earned help. I could never stand people that think they are so above others and find themselves so superior.

Look around you in this world and see all the people that have come down a level or two and perhaps homeless because of the economy. They too never thought they would be where they are today, bankrupt, homeless, losing homes, cars, or no health insurance, etc. and needing a helping hand.

My point in all this is to stop putting people down because they need and don't have, and for you and others to stop acting superior. Because you never know what tomorrow will bring for you.

* I could have made this a very nasty letter but I tried to make my point without going there. Because this site is a SUPPORT GROUP

sounds like your the one acting superior... I'm simply stating how i feel... This is a Forum, and the last time i checked a forum is a place to talk about stuff and say how one feels. This is how i feel.

yes i have lost a job that i had for 10 years.... the week after i had my LB surgery. But did i sit around feeling sorry for my self.... no, i cleaned house, businesses..... cleaning toilets and washing other peoples dirty clothes and dishes..... and Iron for out......because it's what a person should do.... not sit on your ass all day and let other pay your way.

I have a huge family... my father was one of 15 my mom is one of 4, i have a sister and two brothers.... and if i needed any of them they would take care of me..... but its not who i am. When i lost my job.... thank God i still had my part-time job at Hobby Lobby.... why, because i have always had more than one job..... Now i work from 7-4 m-f and still clean office building on the weekends....and if it would be for my husband (who also has two jobs) telling me .... enough, i probably would have three jobs again...... i work so that we can get all the "nice" extras and for savings for our future. And for a brief period back 15+ years ago, we did get food Stamps for two months when my husband lost his job... but the difference is it was TWO months..... not a life time. And another FYI: I had my first child when i was 16... and never went or collected any assistance.... I made the choice to lay in a bed and have a child... and he was my responsibility... so i work, went to school and took care of MY child... who is now 28 and a RN in a critical care unit with a wife and two kids of his own... that he supports... why because i instilled in him a work ethics... and that nothing in life is free... you get off your butt and work for what you want.

and if you have worked ..... decades, then you should have money saved for retirements..... I look at Rookie and Rebecca and i don't see two people who have worked.... decades.... Do you? In fact i would be interested in knowing if they work and if they do.... doing what?

And if you go back and read 90% of my post... they are positive.... but i keep it real and i tell it like it is and say what SOME are thinking but won't say because people with the "holier-the-now" come back and say what you did.... Do you work...? and are you happy paying taxes so others who CAN work... get to sit around all day doing nothing? Did you see the word CAN.... not disabled, not old, but working able bodies...

wow I have worked all my life and paid taxes and have done my part. I am 65 now and on Medicare as of last week. Please keep this a positve site I do not think being negative to anyone is a good thing. I am holier than now I think that is a good thing. God Bless.

Lassie

Lassie.... Then what i wrote does not Protein to you. I said i had problems with ABEL-BODY people who can work.... not working. This has nothing to do with being or not being positive, it how i feel and this is a forum... when you ask question you should be prepared for any answer. And i have been on this site for a while and i'm fully aware of what it far.

So you say: Please keep this a positve site I do not think being negative to anyone is a good thing. So, one should come to this site, ask a question and not want the truth if it's good or not..... we should all be flowers and rainbows here? Is that what your saying? For the most part, i would say 90%, i am a very positive person and give out "ataboys" all the time. But certain thing i don't agree with and Medicaid paying for WLS is one of them. I am entitled....

Have a great day

I know someone who is having wls and on medicaide. She has two kids whom go to gov funded day cares, she does not work and she gets free schooling for herself. I on the other hand had to pay my 20% bc my ins only covered 80% for my wls. I pay for all of my schooling out of pocket and pay for my daughter to attend day care. All while working full time. There are weeks where my husband works 7 days a week 12 hour shifts. He does this because working and not being a free loader has been instilled in our heads. It upsets me that here we are my husband and I busting our asses off and here is this girl sits at home all day long and guess who's paying for it? We are. I have also come across people who clearly cannot work and on gov assistance. The diff is they cannot work! Physically unable to work.