Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Failer Wanting To Start Again

I've had my band for almost four years now, and there have been many times that I've fallen off the band wagon (that is, acted like I didn't even have the band); and many times I've pulled myself back on. I've had several partial unfills and even a complete unfill (now getting back to the green zone after two fills). My point is that the whole thing is a journey... as you point out, a lifelong one.... and none of us can expect to be without detours. Forgive yourself and give yourself permission to move on.... we are all with you!

I was on the same boat as you, was banded in 2007 and life really got into the way, in December of last year I weighed myself and gained all the weight minus 8 pounds from my pre-op weight. That scared the crap out of me and I jumped right back on the band wagon. I was scared to death to go to my mds office, but they were like "not very good, but it happens all the time" and I've been going every month getting fills and so far I've lost 53 lbs. So, if I can do it, you can do it!

Good luck and you'll do great!

Having anxiety and panic disorders are things your doctor should consider when treating you. I can't imagine a good doctor would reprimand you for gaining weight when you were dealing with such difficult things. They should instead praise you for taking your life back!

It took me 5 very long, humiliating years having jumped off the Bandwagon, to do a whole lot of Soul searching. During that time, I found a therapist who deals with my special section of the DSMV3 :P and in addictions, food addiction in my case. We have been working very hard to get myself into a place where I can deal with and learn from my addiction. I have my appointment with my surgeon on the 27th, to discuss getting me re-filled and back on the wagon.

I continue to learn from my mistakes, always will. And I made the appointment. That is where I started. And I joined this forum where I always find such compassionate, kind, like-minded people to share with. :wub: Thank you forever!

Remember, it's only failure if you stop trying!! Go for it- you are beating yourself up way more than the doctor will. You've done it before, you'll do it again with amazing results!!!

Aww thanks sombra, I just wish I tried again 6 months ago. cause even once I was better it took me over 6 months to consider trying again.

I haven't gone for a fill yet, but I've started changing all my foods and choosing better options and exercising for half an hour every day.

Its just a start - i will build it up slowly.

It will be a week tomorrow that I started.

I lost 1kg by the 3rd day but haven't checked since then

My partner also lost 1kg by the 3rd day (who doesn't have the Lapband)

We have been using my fitness pal for a guide on what we are eating as well as a reminder to eat healthy. It's not completely accurate but it helps heaps.

Except my partner has pulled his hamstring from exercising and can't even walk at the moment so it's going to be hard to keep it up on my own until he is healed :(

But even though my Lapband isn't tight and I can eat normally I'm only eating 1000 calories a day :S that's including all of the details like sauce etc.

I've never been a big eater but when I used to eat it was usually horrible stuff like flavored milk and Cookies. So now that I'm watching what I eat it's barely any calories.

What calorie intake should I be aiming for If I'm about 130kg and not using my Lapband at the moment? And what should I be aiming for when I DO fill my Lapband up?

Just weighed myself today - 1.6kg down and only a week into it. And my partner is 1.7kg down.

Still haven't got my lapband filled but i just got paid so will book it sometime today :)

Hi! I bet you I am worse. I just got banded in April if this yeAr. I am extremely hungry all the time! I've only had one fill and have another one next week! I'm mortified to go back! Both nutritionists are skinny b*****s who have never struggled with weight! They speak down to you! I lost 16 my first two weeks have have started gaining it back! I can't believe I am doing this to myself! I just can't keep to their diet. I'm too hungry! If I could diet and excerise with no problems, I wouldn't have needed the band!! Here is a new symptom....I'm loosing my hair now too! I don't know what to do! I don't want to give up but need help!!! At the moment I feel judged,I detach!! I haven't posted here in a while because of that! I want to start over but don't know what to do with the appetite! Can anyone give me positive advice that can help? Especially about my hair! Thank u for your time!!

Hi! I bet you I am worse. I just got banded in April if this yeAr. I am extremely hungry all the time! I've only had one fill and have another one next week! I'm mortified to go back! Both nutritionists are skinny b*****s who have never struggled with weight! They speak down to you! I lost 16 my first two weeks have have started gaining it back! I can't believe I am doing this to myself! I just can't keep to their diet. I'm too hungry! If I could diet and excerise with no problems, I wouldn't have needed the band!! Here is a new symptom....I'm loosing my hair now too! I don't know what to do! I don't want to give up but need help!!! At the moment I feel judged,I detach!! I haven't posted here in a while because of that! I want to start over but don't know what to do with the appetite! Can anyone give me positive advice that can help? Especially about my hair! Thank u for your time!!

You need to relax Ang. You are so normal and so much like most all of us. Most of us went through bandster hell. It's just a phase you have to go through and there's not a lot you can do but to make good food choices.

I went through BH over the holidays and I just ate what I could. I did make fairly good food choices and didn't gain any of my post op weight loss. I was in Bandster Hell for 4 months so I know and I also know that many many posters here went through the same.

So, just try your best but eat low fat, eat low carb and try to exercise. No need to make yourself insane by starving yourself. You should be hungry but the band should be helping you to feel full faster?

If you fell off the wagon you need to get back on it. Don't blame anyone else. Take charge and take responsibility.

tmf

Anglkrys2, if your hair is falling out i would check your Vitamins. Have you been talking multi-Vitamin tablets?

Also you need to calm down, that won't be helping your hair as stress will also make it fall out.

I can't help much on why your so hungry because I've never been a big eater with and without the lapband, but that's just me.

It would be a very common thing with new lapbanders. You said you have only had one fill - so that would probably be the reason you are so hungry.

You just need to calm down and wait until you can get more fills so your in the "green zone". Unfortunately that takes time, but hopefully once you have a second fill it will start helping.

Have you been to see your doctor and talk to him about being hungry all the time? They would have a lot of other people in the same position as you so maybe they will have some ideas on how to help you through until your next fill.

You shouldn't feel judged from anyone on here - we are all in this together (as corny and cliche as that sounds)

Heaps of people are going to have problems so you should use this website as somewhere to come for advice and help.

Because there is bound to someone who can relate to you and is going through the same thing and then you can help each other through it.

Just like everyone who has helped me get back on track and that have told me it's possible to fail and start again :)

I don't know anyone else who has a lapband in my real life so using this website is a huge help for anything that seems abnormal.

Go and take your Vitamins though!!!

My hair has started falling out too the past few weeks (since i started watching what i was eating) so i'm going to get tested and start taking my vitamins again.

Btw i just read about your nutritionists. Is that the same as a dietitian? If so, then don't tell anyone else i said this but DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!!! lol

Dietitians are ALWAYS over the top. Use them as a guideline only or you will have no chance. I would also suggest to AIM for the diet they are telling you to eat. But don't start there!

Especially when you aren't in your green zone yet.

I used my dietitian for tips, not for strict rules. I think that's the only thing i was upset about with the "team" i had for getting my lapband.

Everyone else was really understanding that I am big because of what i eat and i slowly need to change that. But the dietitian never really understood what it's like to be fat and expected me to change over night.

Most people on here will probably tell me I'm an idiot for saying that, and telling you not to listen, but sounds like you are trying too hard to please them.

I have always agreed with TV ad that says "You don't have to give up everything you like, just swap it" So if i ever get cravings for horrible things like Cookies,

i end up swapping it instead of not eating it. I swap heaps of Cookies for only 2 cookies, or i swap tim tams for weight watchers cookies, or full fat for low fat etc.

Obviously i can't eat cookies all the time, it's just when i get bad cravings and when i'm starting again - because you have to start somewhere and going cold turkey is too hard.

But your nutritionists would probably NEVER let you have cookies. Because all of those people are the extreme healthy eaters.

The other thing is you said you lost 16 the first 2 weeks. Is that kilos or pounds? If it's kilos, that's too much!!! If you lose weight fast, you will gain it back. Do it slowly so your body can adjust to the changes and learn to live a skinnier life :)

To everyone else, i understand that many people would completely disagree with what i'm saying and that's fine. But it's just my advice and my opinion. If you are able to listen to your dietitian's and stick to their strict diets then that's awesome, but this is just what i have gone through and what works for me :)

Just get back on track. I didn't feel the full benefit of lapband success until the fourth and fifth fill. Results actually are better the second year if you investigate the company results on lapband. Tomorrow is a new day, you will get in track. Get that fill and make sure you get enough Protein and water!!!

weight.png

I'm like everyone else, afraid to go back because of my failure. I started working out last summer after having my second fill and started gaining wait. My husband ended up in the hospital shortly after, then my daughter became in, lost a friend, never ending. My relief was to eat, eat, & and why not but eat more. All the weight I lost is pretty much back on:(. I started doing Turbo Fire, I love it, but have once again failed myself and stopped working out.

I keep telling myself that I am going to call the doc & start back on the right track. I started to drink Protein Shakes, on week 2 & nothing. Errrr! I love the support this group offers:). I'm setting my phone to call the doc first thing in the morning, & I'm going to workout tonight!

Btw i just read about your nutritionists. Is that the same as a dietitian? If so' date=' then don't tell anyone else i said this but DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!!! lol

Dietitians are ALWAYS over the top. Use them as a guideline only or you will have no chance. I would also suggest to AIM for the diet they are telling you to eat. But don't start there!

Especially when you aren't in your green zone yet.

I used my dietitian for tips, not for strict rules. I think that's the only thing i was upset about with the "team" i had for getting my lapband.

Everyone else was really understanding that I am big because of what i eat and i slowly need to change that. But the dietitian never really understood what it's like to be fat and expected me to change over night.

Most people on here will probably tell me I'm an idiot for saying that, and telling you not to listen, but sounds like you are trying too hard to please them.

I have always agreed with TV ad that says "You don't have to give up everything you like, just swap it" So if i ever get cravings for horrible things like Cookies,

i end up swapping it instead of not eating it. I swap heaps of Cookies for only 2 cookies, or i swap tim tams for weight watchers cookies, or full fat for low fat etc.

Obviously i can't eat cookies all the time, it's just when i get bad cravings and when i'm starting again - because you have to start somewhere and going cold turkey is too hard.

But your nutritionists would probably NEVER let you have cookies. Because all of those people are the extreme healthy eaters.

The other thing is you said you lost 16 the first 2 weeks. Is that kilos or pounds? If it's kilos, that's too much!!! If you lose weight fast, you will gain it back. Do it slowly so your body can adjust to the changes and learn to live a skinnier life :)

To everyone else, i understand that many people would completely disagree with what i'm saying and that's fine. But it's just my advice and my opinion. If you are able to listen to your dietitian's and stick to their strict diets then that's awesome, but this is just what i have gone through and what works for me :)[/quote']

Lannah-thank u very much for your post! Yes they are dieticians and yes they have NEVER been heavy! I just got my second fill-he went a little more aggressive! I am feeling a difference now! Hopefully it helps! Btw-it was 16lbs. I am now 3 months out and have lost a total of 20lbs. Thank u again for being so supportive!

I fell off the wagon too.. Life just got in the way... My biggest fear was going to see the surgeon and getting lectured, but three weeks ago I sucked it up, and made the choice to make this work for me.. I went to see her and you know what she said?? Why have you been blowing me off???? I was shocked.. no lecture,,, no you failed you suck speech.. Just that. She gave me a fill.. I am seeing her again in two weeks. I could not be have been happier. Still working on the eating. I think I just need more fills.. Not in the green zone yet..

Good Luck, Do what is best for you. No matter what anyone says..