Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your doctor recommend eliminating caffeine?

If you drank beverages with caffeine pre-LB, do you still drink them?

For me, my dietician did recommend eliminating caffeine, although strangely, I could never get a clear answer on *why*. After reading several articles, different practice recommendations, and information from Allergan, I have resumed drinking 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning. I haven't had any soda, but that wasn't a big deal for me to give up because I rarely drank it anyway.

I too have a cup of coffee in the mornings at work. Otherwise, I have given up caffeine.

My nutricionist said not to count coffee in your liquid intake because the caffeine dehydrates you.

I continue to have a cup in the morning. I take it with milk and I just dont count it in my Fluid intake.

I drink a lot of black coffee. My doctor said it isn't a problem as long as I drink enough Water to offset any potential dehydration. It hasn't affected my weight loss at all as far as I can tell.

I still drink one pop per day. I know I am not supposed to but I need caffeine and I hate coffee

I drink coffee now after band since I gave up sodas. I did give up caffeine for a little over a month and noticed that my band gets a little tighter when I drink coffee if I don't make sure to cont to drink my Water.< /p>

Dawn I was same way but try to sugar free vanilla ice coffee at McDonald's it's very good and 120 cals one last me several hrs sipping and has all caffeine I need for a day

My dietician said absolutely no caffeine but I just wouldn't give it up. She said it's a stomach irritant. I have 1/2 caffeine every day and so far no problems. I'm a month post op today.

Dawn I was same way but try to sugar free vanilla ice coffee at McDonald's it's very good and 120 cals one last me several hrs sipping and has all caffeine I need for a day

I will try this!! Thank you!

Both my dietician and surgeon agreed you didn't HAVE to quit coffee but they were happy to hear that I had quit before surgery. Since surgery, I've had a half of cup of coffee and handful of times, since it seems to be the cure for my Migraines (I spent YEARS looking for a med that worked, finally found one, then after quitting coffee realized that 1 cup would take care of it.) I never count it as "good fluid" consumed, and if I do have coffee I try to drink another 20 ounces of Water.

Now, each morning, instead of coffee, I'll have a cup of pu-ehr tea. If I'm feeling sleepy in the afternoon I will have a cup of white tea. I know they both have caffiene, but for some reason I feel the tea is healthier?! Plus, the pu-ehr tea was featured on Dr. Oz. I can't say I believe everything he says, but the tea is supposed to help with weight loss.

Oh, and pop is a DEFINITE no-no for me. Besides the unhealthy ingredients, the carbontion is supposed to be bad for bandsters.

I had to give up my Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry which I consumed in a large scale preop so I am not going to give up totally on caffeine. I know it can cause dehydration but I am willing to just drink more mostly ice tea. I really don;t like Water even if it is flavored.

I was never told to give up caffeine, but I think the theory is that it does dehydrate you and for some it can irritate the stomach. Another reason may be that if you add milk/cream/sweetner it can up your calorie intake.

As for me, I'm not a big coffee drinker and I do drink it black. On the other hand I drink one sugar free Red Bull a day (drinking one now!) which is lightly carbonated, but I'll pour it in a cup and stir it to get most of the bubbles out.

When I commented to my doctor about having to give up regular coffee he said "Why?" I have one cup regular coffee in the morning and then switch to Decaf. I do drink it black with splendra. I would say most doctors are concerned that you will add cream and sugar.

I read an article where this guy after starting a new job gained like 30 pounds. He called his friend a Nutritionist and asked for some help. She told him to journal his food for a week and send it to her. She noticed he was drinking like 5 cups of coffee with cream and sugar daily. His new job had free coffee!!!!! Once he stopped the coffee he lost the weight.

I was told that caffeine can cause band erosion.

I was told that caffeine can cause band erosion.

I hope not. I drink coffee by the gallon.

Yeah I know its not good but it sure beats the alcohol habit which I did give up which I used to drink by the gallon too. That's for another thread sometime though.