Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I not sure what response if any I will get to this message but, and I fully realise that to new Guys having or planning to have their Lapband this will not be received very well, but I get very frustrated when I just her how amazing the Lapband is I have had mine for 6 years I have had it filled neumorus times, I paid privately £7500 out and pay approximately £150 each time I have it filled, I lost 4 stone and put 2 stone back on the first 1 1/2 stone I lost in the pre Lapband surgery month and a further 1stone in the following 2 weeks of fluids only, over the next 6 months I lost a further 1 and 1/2 stone because I was sick after every meal, I then had a defill because I couldn't cope with the acid reflux and put 2stone back on since then I have gone up and down fill and defill.

I am being totally honest and as accurate as I can, a lot of my failure is due to me eating the wrong foods still, drinking far to much wine and not sticking to all the advice I was given, but that was why I need drastic surgery because I am totally hopeless when in comes to will power, in truth if I could turn the clock back I would not go through again. Does anyone out there feel the same ????

I haven't lost any weight either and it has been 3 years. I also feel hopeless and blame myself when I see how successful others are. I still see my surgeon as I refuse to give up. He has asked me to consider revisional surgery to a gastric bypass which he does not perform.

I am being totally honest and as accurate as I can, a lot of my failure is due to me eating the wrong foods still, drinking far to much wine and not sticking to all the advice I was given, but that was why I need drastic surgery because I am totally hopeless when in comes to will power, in truth if I could turn the clock back I would not go through again. Does anyone out there feel the same ????

It doesn't matter what surgery you have- Lap-Band, Gastric Bypass, or Sleeve. If you don't change your eating habits for a lifetime you will fail. If you're eating the wrong foods, drinking too much wine, and not taking the advice given then of course you didn't lose weight. The band is a tool, not a magic fix, and you still have to do the work in order to be successful with it.

Surgery can't fix our brains only we can do that for ourselves.

I'm sorry you are going through that Erica. I doubt some of the complications you went through helped in your weight loss. I am not judging you, but you said you are eating the wrong foods and not sticking to the advice you were given. Why? Fills won't do anything if you are drinking while eating, snacking or having slider foods. The cycle of guilt, overeating, then hating myself because I "failed" is what made me fat to begin with so I am trying not to be "perfect" this time, but eat in a way I can live with long term. Willpower is difficult but necessary for ANY type of WLS.

I am in total agreement with Mis73. I had the gastric bypass and it was sucessful for me...after 12 years it stretched out ..not by my bad eating habits just one of those things. It worked great and I did lose my weight by sticking to a healthy plan...towards the end when I knew it had stretched as my bariatric surgeon checked it and told me it was that way....I gained back weight by eating whatever and drinking too much wine ....when I got off my pity party and was ready to cope with the reality of the facts....I was told lapband surgery was the only thing they could offer me after a roux n y bypass...the lapband as any other bariatric surgery works if you work it...it is just an aid...a tool...like any other bariatric surgery..I have seen people with gastric bypasses fail because they consumed malts and fried foods etc etc...the only thing that works is YOU...these people who get on here and tell about consuming creamed Soups and potatoes and gravy and not losing weight and being discouraged is ridiculous...anyway..I understand the struggle but you need to decide your approach and the new attitude before you surgically alter yourself....not to be mean...but honestly......

Erica I am in the same boat. I am a sugar addict and am regretting ever having surgery! My will power sux and im very disappointed with myself! I've been banded a year and a half and no weight loss. I don't even know what to say. My doc said I will do well with lap band. I think he wanted my money and didn't care if I actually lost weight. I know what I should be doing. We ALL know the right way to lose weight. I'm just not sure why I can't get my butt in gear. It's hard to see everyone else being successfull. I am so happy for them. Wishing it was me...

KayTee, I don't regret having the LapBand. I am also very disappointed in myself. As someone stated earlier you cannot eat ice cream when you have a band and expect to be successful. What they miss is that after all the work and time and wanting, after not losing weight what point is it to NOT have the ice cream. I haven't given up and neither should you. Maybe, there should be a Discussion Section for those that are not losing weight to see what we can do for each other?

I start reading this thread and copied this to say that herein lies the problem.However others have already pointed that out so I am just going to reinforce what they are saying.

a lot of my failure is due to me eating the wrong foods still, drinking far to much wine and not sticking to all the advice I was given,

No weight loss surgery is going to work like a magic wand. There is no surgery or pill or treatment that will enable you to eat what you want and lose weight. If you want to be slim and healthy you have to suck it up and start taking some responsibility. You have to want to change and you have to make the good choices. Having a band will make it easier for you by helping to control your hunger but it will not choose what you decide to put in your mouth. It also won't make you get off your bottom and exercise!

So it is up to you to decide if you want to stay fat and unhealthy and have all the associated health risks. If you do then give up trying , sit on the couch, eat junk food etc.

But if you really want to be slim trim and healthy then recommit and take responsibility.

Go back to your Dr and have your band adjusted. Start making healthy food choices. Noone says you have to give up chocolate and treats for ever, follow the 90 10 rule, or plan what you are going to eat for the day and include a couple of squares of chocolate or whatever in your planned eating. Whatever it takes to keep you on track.

Find some exercise you like. It could be swimming, walking, dancing whatever - if you find something you like you are more likely to stick to it. If you can find a support group - meeting with others in your position helps heaps. And keep coming on here, you will find lots of support.

Erica and others. It's very refreshing to read honest personal assessments of yourselves and the lack of success you've achieved. I think for many of us we secretly share some of the same fears now and going in.

For me, it's how much I want the thin life. I want it desperately, and for me, this is my ticket, my one opportunity to make it happen. I've bought the lapband pitch, hook line and sinker. And I'm glad I did.

You will have to find something other than food to be passionate about. For me, this is it. I sincerely hope you find that switch that motivates you as much as I am. Good luck.

tmf

(I only say this with respect and the best intentions. I just hope someone would try to say this to me if I am giving up.) Don't give up... Try again. You were strong enough and motivated enough at one point to go through surgery which is a big deal and it sounds like you have had success. It is very, very hard to lose weight and change ourselves. And scary. Try to remember how it felt when you were motivated and the things you saw in your mind when you thought about succeeding. It is still there. I wish the best for you. :)

I'm thankful for the courage you have shown just for telling your challenging stories here. I'm also glad you didn't get too many of the lectures and condescension that some people like to spew all over anyone who does not "work" the band like they do or who is willing to be honest about the choices they are making, or the fears they have. It's awful! I'm not banded yet, but with the vitriol I've seen toward "unsuccessful" bandsters, there's no way I'd admit it around here! YOU are courageous and soooooo appreciated!

I also think it is important for people to hear stories like yours. It seems that most of the people who are active here are either pre-band or successful on the band. Of course, NOT everyone fits into one of those categories, but it seems like that's most people here. That is wonderful and I'm so happy and encouraged by their stories. However, one can get an overly rosy picture of life after band. I am sure there are many people who are banded and not losing weight and they feel embarrassed or unwelcome here. Worse yet, they probably get criticized by other banded people. I mean really, if one more person says, "you still have to work at it!!!!" So, your story brings some perspective and balance to that picture. Your story helps us remember that we have more to overcome than the scale and that we all have many reasons why we fail or succeed.

I don't know what the future holds for you, but I sure hope you are able to live in a body you can love, and be healthy, mentally and physically, regardless of what the scale says.

Thank you all for your replies, it really helped getting it off my chest, I think for me it was sold to me as almost a miracle cure for people with weight problems, I dreamed of being satisfied with eating small amounts of food, but in truth I was always hungry and trying to push the limits, I was banded by the Hospital group and was given very little if any real help or advice. I think most over eaters need a great deal of support to be successful at losing and keeping the weight off. I am pleased to say I don't have any deep down traumas of why I eat, but food was and unfortunately still is a real treat mentality to me, proberbly just and old fashioned glutton.

But I am going to keep in touch on this site go back and have a fill, and try really hard with my food choices, thanks again. X

It seems that a lot of Drs paint an overly rosy picture. It would be far more helpful if they told the truth.

I am glad that you have decided to recommit. If you are determined I am sure you will be successful. What do they say - that things worth having do not come easily?

After three years I am being unbanded. I was a success story. I lost all my weight within 8 months. A little after my two year mark, I started to have some issues. Now I have an infection and I must have it removed. It's become a question of my health or my band. Guess it's my health. Believe it or not that was something I questioned. (really....being fat again...why?)

I was self pay so I am not dealing with paying for this procedure to get it out which has become a frightening story in itself. Not to mention all the emotional issues coming along with this whole failure.

My issue was not me. I did not eat things I was not suppose to eat. I did not drink soda, I exercised, waded through emotional issues and did everything I was suppose to do.

I am hurt, mad, sad, scared, etc. you name it....I feel it. What do I do now?

there is one F-bomb in my video diary today. so if that upsets you please don't view. it's just a part of my frustration and being afraid of gaining all my weight back.

[media=]http://youtu.be/vrPNTULVQOw[/media]

I feel sorry for those of you that struggle so much but I think that you have to look at the whole picture. You fix your body where it doesn't need much food so you can lose . . . .but you don't fix the emotional and mental stuff that goes along with it. Go get some counseling you will see what a difference it makes. I did 3 years so I am not telling you, that you need to go, but not me. I loved it and it helped me so much. Lets be honest if you don't feel good about yourself nothing is going to help.

You already had the surgery, spent the money, why not invest a small amount more and see it you can make it work, by getting some help. Do you go to support group? So very important for some people to be around people who are going through the same thing they are. It is hard we need support.

Hang in there and give yourself one more chance, what could it hurt?

Cheri