Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So How Honest Were You....

I told immediate family and a couple friends. I do not tell people from work. I personally didn't drop weight like a rock so no one thinks I'm consumptive. Remember you can't unring a bell. When I have told people I'm on a diet I've had them say "Should you be eating that!" I don't need food police. I am twice as hard on myself than anyone else will ever be. I have told people at the gym who've ask. Though I do say that I lost 100 pounds though diet and exercise and another 70 with diet, exercise and the band.

I told everyone and anyone. I figure everyone would find out anyway and I really don't care about other peoples opinions about what I do to my body.

Honesty is the best policy 99.9% of the time ;)

I too am a walking billboard for the band. I almost shout it from the rooftops for anyone who wants to hear, and some that don't.

That being said, I was dishonest that .1% at the time of surgery. I had 2 part-time jobs and was only going to miss one day at one of them for the surgery. The boss and his wife were very snobby and nosey. My co-workers and I came up with a plan if the boss & wife asked about what I was having done .... and they did ask in a snobby/nosey way while I was taking that one day off. My co-worker told them I was having vaginal rejuvination! We all had a good laugh and it shut them up. It was in good fun and I knew I wouldn't be working there much longer anyway. I found a different job a few weeks later and they still don't know the surgery I really had done. I guess they just think my husband is having great sex ;)

Ha, DeAna, that has been what I've been thinking I would say!

great minds think a like it would explain so much and the healing process for that surgery is pretty similar takes about the same amount of recovery time from work same food limitation..PRESTO..perfect excuse

Itold almost everyone. I knew it would help Heep me honest. The only thing I dislike is people asking how much unavenged lost. I wish they could stop at " you look great" but I suppose it is just human nature. I have really appreciated all the support from people.

I notice a lot of people that said they told everyone have loss a lot of weight. Did you tell everyone BEFORE you started being successful or even before your actual surgery date? I think I would shout it from the tallest building if I have lost a large amount of weight I would be so proud but in the begin it's too much outside pressure So did you tell everyone immediately

I told absolutely everybody that would listen. Friends, family, coworkers. I even told the guy at the pizza joint because I knew he wouldn't be seeing me anymore!!! Everyone was supportive....except the pizza guy. I was a "cash cow" for him! LOL!! The only person I didn't tell beforehand was my mother, but that was because she's elderly with health problems and I didn't want her worrying and I certainly didn't want her at the hospital. I told her after I got home. There are always going to be people with negative comments and judgmental attitudes but they are few. I find those are the ones who just don't understand. Use the opportunity to educate them. Even now, 4 years and 140 pounds later, I still have no qualms about telling anybody. I keep my before picture on my cell phone and show it to people....I don't particularly like looking at myself though!

I notice a lot of people that said they told everyone have loss a lot of weight. Did you tell everyone BEFORE you started being successful or even before your actual surgery date? I think I would shout it from the tallest building if I have lost a large amount of weight I would be so proud but in the begin it's too much outside pressure So did you tell everyone immediately

only my wife knows....

I told my parents, my husband and 2 daughters and 1 trusted co-worker. That's it and I am happy with this decision. Like someone said, I dont need the food police watching me everytime I eat and others snarking that you only lost weight because of the band. This is highly personal for me and I dont feel compelled to share my private business. I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster anyway with this life altering process anyway and I will only surround myself with positive people. I live in a small town and I think that makes it worse. It is a personal decision and there is no right or wrong answer. Talk it over with people you trust first, then decide for yourself.

I only told my husband and 1 other friend who lives in another state and never sees me.

it's nobody else's business but my own. I didn't want any extra scrutiny or people watching what I put in my mouth or saying things like "should you be eating that???? hmmm????"

so far, i haven't had to explain anything to anyone as to why i've lost weight. either no one has noticed or no one has cared enough to ask. either way, i'm happy with my decision.

I would never tell another fat person to do this or suggest they have this surgery. this is a decision i had to come to on my own, and if someone had the surgery based on something i said to them, and for whatever reason it didn't work out for them or if they didn't have similar results, i couldn't live with it....so that's why i won't be a preacher for lap band to others who might need it. they can look into it for themselves, weigh the pros and cons and come to the decision on their own.

I have told my daughter and my husband. They live with me and I have no other children. I have told some of my fellow math teachers who will see me some during workshops this summer.

I have not told my parents who live in another part of the state and also in the same town as my sister. I will tell them all after I get my surgery date. If I told my mother right now she would bug me every day about when I was going to get the surgery done and my dad would worry unecessarily. My dad never says anything about my weight, but my mother is not so kind.

I have thought about this for years and havce even looked into it. A few years ago I tried to do this, but there were so many hoops to jump through for my insurance company. This past year, my insurance company changed their policy.

I can't wait to get this done. As soon as I know my surgery date, everybody will know!

I only told my daughter and out of state cousin - that's it. No one else will ever know. Last summer when I started this process, I went on a diet, started exercising, and eating healthy. This is what I told people - which was all true. Losing weight is such a slow process with the band and people who do not understand the whole tool concept. I don't want to be judged for my decision or for the contents on my plate. Just telling people I'm on a diet does that. I had surgery 4 months ago. I am a slow loser and have only lost 17 lbs. since surgery and 13 lbs. before, so a total of 30 lbs. Just this week, I have had someone compliment me every single day regarding my weight loss and slimming down. That is so much nicer than the other invasive questions people tend to ask if they know you had WLS. I don't regret my decision for a second! Love it!

One more thing - I had suregery on a Tuesday and just took vacation the rest of the week. I returned to work on Monday just like normal. The surgery was such a piece of cake (ha ha) that no one needed to know that was what I was doing on my vacation!

I told my husband but i don't think he remembers lol my mom and my auntie and I just found out my mom to my other auntie. But no one else knows when I went into surgery everyone thinks I was getting my hernia fixed. Seems to be working out perfectly.

I told my immediate family, about 6 close friends, my personal trainer and my minister. They have all been supportive. As I lose more weight, I'm sure I'll start telling more people. Will cross that bridge when I come to it.