Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips To Curb Sugar Cravings

I am really struggling with making this band work. I keep falling victim to really bad sugar cravings and I think that is really affecting my weight loss. banded 8 months ago and barely down 30lbs. Any suggestions

I am sad to tell you that you must eliminate sugar! there are no tricks, it is like any other addiction. you will have withdrawal issues & it will take several weeks before you won't crave it.

I too have a sugar addiction. I have started to buy really good dark chocolate and allow myself one, may be two pieces. I buy Lindt dark chocolate, it is divided into about eight pieces. they are about 50 calories. could this help??

I was afraid of that, but whatever will help me! I tried going cold turkey, but too much like yoyo dieting. I am really bad with fruits, I am thinking I need to start subbing fresh fruits for sugary snacks! Having this band is so much harder than I thought.

you are right! this is definitely not a freebie, we work hard for the weight we lose!

I think about what I am going to eat & how I will exercise all day long. kind of obsessed!!

I just know I never, never want to go back to 239 lbs!!!

I am really struggling with making this band work. I keep falling victim to really bad sugar cravings and I think that is really affecting my weight loss. banded 8 months ago and barely down 30lbs. Any suggestions

I don't think anyone could be more sugar addicte than I was. I am getting banded next week and since starting the pre-op diet my sugar cravings have stopped. I give credit to not eating carbs and being on liquids but I'm afraid when I start mushies like mashed potatoes etc that the sugar cravings will pop back up. Now, with all that said, I live in Western Kentucky and I have a grocery store nearby and it's food Lion and I have found a store brand Jello parfait that is sugar free and it is delish. It tastes like Jello and cool whip. It has given me hope for those sugar cravings that might pop up down the road. Good luck to you.

I also have noticed that eating carbs seems to generate a craving for more carbs, another reason we ended up being obese. The only remedy I have found effective is to avoid the foods which have excessive sugar added to them, or are highly processed.

There are carbs in many foods, but those foods which have carbs which occur naturally are generally alright to have. Years ago, I learned to find the "hidden carbs" in many foods. Label reading is a favorite pastime!

I also have noticed that eating carbs seems to generate a craving for more carbs, another reason we ended up being obese. The only remedy I have found effective is to avoid the foods which have excessive sugar added to them, or are highly processed.

There are carbs in many foods, but those foods which have carbs which occur naturally are generally alright to have. Years ago, I learned to find the "hidden carbs" in many foods. Label reading is a favorite pastime!

Carole, can ask you a stupid question, what sugar alcohol and sugar grams? Do I count them both or just sugar grams? I've become obsessed with reading labels now.

thx

Donna

Carole, can ask you a stupid question, what sugar alcohol and sugar grams? Do I count them both or just sugar grams? I've become obsessed with reading labels now.

thx

Donna

That's not a stupid question...the only stupid questions are the ones we want answers to and don't ask! :)

My understanding is that a sugar alcohol is a hydrogenated form of sugar, and to varying degrees, it may or may not be absorbed by the intestines. They may to be used to mask the aftertaste of some artificial sweeteners, and depending on which sugar alcohol it is, it may have some caloric value. The sugar alcohol is not absorbed by the body, and tends to ferment in the small intestine, thus may cause digestive upset.

For my purposes, I would be counting them in with the grams of carbs listed on a food product, if they contain any caloric value. Carbs which occur naturally I allow myself to have (fruit, some veggies). I limit my carbs which occur in Condiments, such as ketchup. I try to avoid the over processed foods which may contain artificial sugars/sweeteners, which would be including the sugar alcohols.

Your choices may be different, but generally I would count the ones with calories as carb grams, and avoid them, as they would be found in the over processed foods that are chemically engineered.

One easy rule which I follow is to shop only on the periphery of the grocery store, in the produce, meat, and dairy sections. Of course, the bakery is also on the periphery, but I avoid going there!

I don't know if I answered your question or not...please let me know if you would like a clarification of my response!

I don't think anyone could be more sugar addicte than I was. I am getting banded next week and since starting the pre-op diet my sugar cravings have stopped. I give credit to not eating carbs and being on liquids but I'm afraid when I start mushies like mashed potatoes etc that the sugar cravings will pop back up. Now, with all that said, I live in Western Kentucky and I have a grocery store nearby and it's food Lion and I have found a store brand Jello parfait that is sugar free and it is delish. It tastes like Jello and cool whip. It has given me hope for those sugar cravings that might pop up down the road. Good luck to you.

One additional note...be aware of the carbs in your "mushies". I was advised not to have mashed potatoes, as they are mostly carbs, and can generate that carb craving.

Sweet potatoes are a better choice for a complex carb, though even now have one rarely, and it takes about 3 days to eat a single potato.

During the mushies stage, I was not allowed to have any type of potato...

Your choices may vary, and many others have posted that they survived mushies on mashed potatoes during that stage. I would be reading the labels of any processed foods very carefully...and looking for the carb value.

Best wishes as you continue on your journey!

I count my calories and also try to avoid excessive carbs and sugar but I agree there are times where a need for sweet can be powerful for me it's during my cycle. I also occasionally enjoy a piece of dark chocolate. I also get Fiber one 90 calorie brownies and make sure it fits into my calorie intake for the day. It knocks my craving out and doesn't destroy all my hard work but in general if your sweet tooth is daily rather than periodic you may just have to look at it as a habit you have to let go of to succeed. I know it's hard even being banded it takes work but you can do it just think of all you have gone through to change your life :)

Eliminate sugar and any artificial sweeteners. Even though sweetneners don't have the calories, they keep your sweet tooth active.

I was afraid of that, but whatever will help me! I tried going cold turkey, but too much like yoyo dieting. I am really bad with fruits, I am thinking I need to start subbing fresh fruits for sugary snacks! Having this band is so much harder than I thought.

Another good thing about an apple is that it takes a really long time to eat!

Different doctors and dietitians have their individual approaches to instructing their patients...and for my surgeon, avoidance of all foods which have any added sugars is necessary for success with your weight loss. Also, I was advised to never count calories, only to measure portions carefully, and make healthy food choices with unprocessed foods.

This surgery requires developing healthier eating habits, and breaking the ones which contributed to our weight gain to be successful on the weight loss journey. Continuing to give in to your craving for sweets does not break the cycle of carb cravings, only sustains it.

While our brains need carbs to function, there are naturally occurring carbs in many healthy and unprocessed foods. Your choices and mileage may vary...

Best wishes to you as you continue your weight loss journey!

I am at the end of week 2 post-op and also experienced a decline in my desire for carbs during the pre-op diet. I was also worried that the post-op diet would trigger some cravings because of the textures and also the fact that the majority of the food choices seem to be higher in carbs. Guess what? It did trigger some wicked cravings!! I agree with the folks who suggest going "cold turkey" for a while. This has worked for me in the past. Eventually you learn what carb rich foods trigger you to want even more carb rich foods..... then you avoid eating them! For me.... Soups, mashed squash, pudding (even no sugar/fat free varieties), etc.... are triggers. Been eating a lot of stuff like that in the post-op phase. It just takes a little will power to go cold turkey! That's all..... The good news, I guess, is that it really doesn't take that long to get the carb monkey off your back. It is keeping it off that is a little more tricky! Triggers! Those are the key! Learn to avoid those trigger foods!

Even though you are cutting out sugars, if you continue eating carbs the cravings will not go away. My dr advises under 30 carbs a day, and those are only allotted for incidentals (ie: coffee cream, ketchup). the first 2 days off carbs are awful, but the third is SO much better and by the end of 2 weeks you wont crave anymore. Now I'm able to have one piece of candy/cake/sweets and not get drawn back into the regular cravings. this might be your solution, too - And the weight loss is AMAZING!