Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does "full" Feel Like To You?

I'm still in the "full liquid" post-op phase, but my recent bouts with chest tightness/pain have got me thinking ahead a bit. Clearly I know all too well what "full" feels like pre-LB ... the range from satisfied, to full, to overstuffed and uncomfortable after really overeating. The physical sensation is in my abdomen, sometimes even lower.

So my questions are -- Is the feeling different with an LB? Is it up higher, like in the chest? Is it a pain instead of a feeling of fullness? Other than carefully monitoring ounces/volume, what is the body's signal that you've had enough food?

I think the chest tightness you know now may be gas (I had an EKG done post op because I was sure I was having a heart attack). Today I definitely know when i'm full and if I stop at the first signal my body sends then I don't get to the choking in the throat literal fullness.

When I have restriction the beauty of it is that I don't get that really Full miserable feeling. You learn pretty fast how to eat after you get your fill. Make sure to chew your food, it is not pleasant when you get stuck. If you take medication I find that it is best for me to take a larger pill maybe an hour or so before a meal vs at bedtime. Pay attention to what your eating, if you get distracted and are eating on the run sometimes you can revert to an old habit really fast, not chewing fully and well swallowing while in a rush. That is what will generally get me in a bind. I usually will usually give a big sigh...or a hiccup but you will start to feel where your nearing the end of the meal. Just eat slow and really taste the food.

It seemed to me the first two months my body was healing and I had all sorts of pains. I stayed in full liquids, followers the rules, had lots of gas pains and stomach pings while I was healing.

weight.png

I get a tightness across my back.i dont know if thats my full cue or gas but I take it as a full cue and I stop eating. I havent learned my limits yet, so im not in any way interested in pushing them. Im about 5 and a half weeks post op. I hear alot of people say they get hiccups or like that feeling like theres something stuck in your throat. I havent experienced that.

According to my surgeon, you should never get the "full" feeling! You should get satisfied. We all need to learn to eat to live, not live to eat! Believe me, it is all a learning experience; after almost 3 years, I am still learing, or unlearing as the case may be. ANyway, you will tell teh full feeling most people wil belch a little or get a hiccup. If you eat more, you wil become uncomfortable with a tightness. Best wishes, and good luck with you rnew life! Karen

I agree it's more a feeling of satisfied. I will often ask myself am I hungry enough for another bite. If not I stop eating. I don't get pain when I'm "full"

I do not get any pain but I do get a tightness in my chest at about a cup of food. When the tightness is in my back I have overdone it. This has only happened a couple of times.

I don't really get a full feeling...I just get a not hungry feeling when I have had enough food. I have eaten too much food a couple of times and was really full. That was not pleasant. I was very unconfortable and my stomach ached. I just don't do that anymore.

the feeling fullness pre-band and the feeling of full/satisfied post-band are very different. I'm more like honk, I just don't have the desire to eat anymore, and if I do, I'll feel a tightness in my chest. Strangely, it seems like if I overeat the least little bit, I will always go into a sneezing fit!

I'm still learning. I haven't had my first fill yet but I do get a tightness in my chest so at this point I assume that's my "full" feeling. Only time will tell. I just hope I don't find out the hard way

For me I get a feeling of, I'm done now, then what ever food is left needs threw away or is the next meal.....in the beginning when I was learning I wld throw up slime/ thick mucus. Now I know and I usually have a hiccup too. So much learning...now I'm 15 mths out. Be patient...so much to learn and re-learn.

I haven't had a fill yet but get a tightness in my back. Feels uncomfortable & I try not to eat to that point now. My dr. told me he has a patient who has lost 100 lbs. without ever being filled! I am shocked to hear thats possible! I love for that to be me!