Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti- Inflammatory For Sports Injury With Lap Band?

I started a workout program with a trainer at the gym and was surprised at how much I was able to do. Unfortunately, my body was not ready and I have developed bicep and rotator cuff tendinitis from over use (who knew?). Now I am doing PT and they want me to take Ibuprofen which is on the no-no list. Anyone have any recommendations on anti-inflammatory pain killers? I have been trying to tough it out for a few weeks, but it is excrutiating especially when trying to sleep. Not to mention now I am totally depressed about that and want to eat everything! Good thing it is not possible to do that.

I belong to several groups. I wrote out a question like this and I got several different answers.

Some said their doc said ok. some said no nsaids. I wear a medical alert Bracelet saying no nsaids.

However, if I need one I take it. Sometimes I take the liquid. I am sure that there will be several resonses to this fabulous question. Best of luck..How does tylenol work for you?

I have had to take nsaid for a short period of time (no more than 2 weeks) due to similar issues. The best compromise is to take after coating your stomach with malox or something similar. Of course, this reduces the affect of the nsaid, but it is better than nothing.

Could you speak with you doctor about a liquids nsaid? That way it would pass through the stoma into the large stomach.

I would think that as long as you are not too tight that the pill should pass into your stomach really quickly and not cause any issues with the band.

Thank you everyone. I have taken tylenol, but from what I understand that is only a pain killer and not so good with inflammation. Liquid or maalox didn't even occur to me! You guys are awesome!

I have a neck injury and have been on a strong anti inflamitory perscription for 2 months. I addressed the concern with both my general practitioner and my surgeon. They both agreed that I should take it on an empty stomach and flush it through with a lot of Water. I have not had any problems by doing that, but if it did give me problems they said to take a 2 week round of Prilosec. Good luck to you!

Try natural Arnica (rubs on) and liquid Tylenol. But always check with your doc if u have concerns, they are pretty helpful.

weight.png

I am 4 mos post op and have been working on a walking regimen. I was walking 3-4 miles a night, and began having some heel blistering and Achilles tendon pain. I went to a specialty shoe store, had my gait analyzed and bought some Asics sneaks which are made for people who put more pressure on the heel portion odd the foot while walking. I have also started walking one night and resting the next, still 4 miles, but 3 to four times a week. I am still having problems with my left heel and have just started glucosamine chondroitin 3x a day. If it gets bad, I am using Tylenol arthritis once a day. I am 55, excited about getting more active, and am down 38 pounds since surgery with 85 pounds to go. Any suggestions? Indon't want to stop my routine, but I want to be careful of my heel, too!

You might need orthodics, There is a book out: The Fat resistance diet.

It talks about inflamation in the body. It also has a recipe for: imune power Soup. Just put the info in google. anyone the Soup might help..What about a heel pad? I know how you feel about routine and I know how you feel about pain. what does the dr say.? Some think anti inflamatorys are ok. I think they are really not ok. But I have taken them cause I needed them also.

Its a hard choice. thats whyI am talking about the intake of proper food.

Thanks for your imput, Cindy. I worry about anti inflammatories and NSAIDS because of potential liver problems. I very occasionally take Tylenol for arthritis, but am trying a hot soak to both feet after I walk and that helped last night. I also am switching up the distance depending on how my heel feels...for example, 4 miles one time, then 2 miles the next. I will google the diet info. I would much rather not take meds if I can help it. I have just started the glucosamine chondroitin a few days ago and am hoping this natural remedy helps.

As far as I know, the reason we are not to take nsaid are because nsaids can rot the band/eat up your tummy. It is Tyleonol that people relate the liver problems to..I would reomend a plastic pad for the heel~ Can it be that you have a heel spur? Have u had an xray on it? I had a pain in my ball of the foot from Zumba class. I loved doing it but I hurt too much. So I bought a "pad" for it. But the pad does not work since the pain is near the bone. I would go to a doc and have it xrayed and you will see for sure what is what. We can guess all we want but xrays are what you need. I am sure after the weight is gone. The pain will subside. hugs.

I had this discussion with my doctor this afternoon...I'm still recovering from fractures sustained in a bad car accident. And, on top of that I also have arthritis. Tylenol does nothing to reduce inflammation...and in the words of my son the pharmacist, "pain generally has 2 causes; inflammation or infection. For infection you prescribe antibiotics, for inflammation you prescribe NASIDS."

The concern my doctor (internal medicine) shared was for GI tract risks for irritation leading to the possible development of stomach ulcers and bleeding. It does help to reduce the risks if you are on a stomach protector medication such as Prevacid or Prilosec.

The pain and swollen joints have significantly restricted the type and duration of my exercise. Pre op while on meloxicam I was able to walk several miles a day without any discomfort...now, I could not walk a mile without significant pain and increased swelling in my knee.

So, I was given permission to take meloxicam on a very limited basis...a reduced dose, and not every day.

You have to listen to the medical instructions given by your doctor; I know that my bariatric surgeon would be less understanding of my situation, and just tell me no NASIDS...but he never saw me during the weeks I was confined to a wheelchair last year.

Discuss your concerns with your doctor...I really hope you feel better soon!

Plantar Faciitis I had when running. It is THE WORST! If you are having heel pain this is likely the cause. It is extremely common. I went to the urgent care foot doc (yes, we have them at our ugent care) as I just couldn't take it a second longer. He gave me a cortisone shot right through the heal. The most painful shot I have ever has and I screamed like a woman in labor when he did it. But I would do it all over again as literally 30 minutes later the pain was GONE. After months of issues. Anywho, Maybe talk to your doc about a cortiseone shot for what ails to. Of course you cant have too many, but man it was great! BEst part, NO MEDS!

Plantar fasciitis (PF) is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. It is a very common condition and can be difficult to treat if not looked after properly. Another common term for the affliction is "policeman's heel".[1]

Longstanding cases of plantar fasciitis often demonstrate more degenerative changes than inflammatory changes, in which case they are termed plantar fasciosis.[2] The suffix "osis" implies a pathology of chronic degeneration without inflammation. Since tendons and ligaments do not contain blood vessels, they do not actually become inflamed. Instead, injury to the tendon is usually the result of an accumulation over time of microscopic tears at the cellular level.

The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It has been reported that plantar fasciitis occurs in two million Americans a year and in 10% of the U.S. population over a lifetime.[3] It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing. Among non-athletic populations, it is associated with a high body mass index.[4] The pain is usually felt on the underside of the heel and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. Another symptom is that the sufferer has difficulty bending the foot so that the toes are brought toward the shin (decreased dorsiflexion of the ankle). A symptom commonly recognized among sufferers of plantar fasciitis is an increased probability of knee pains, especially among runners.Jump to: navigation, search Plantar fasciitis

M 72.2 728.71 10114 007021

As far as I know, the reason we are not to take nsaid are because nsaids can rot the band/eat up your tummy. It is Tyleonol that people relate the liver problems to..I would reomend a plastic pad for the heel~ Can it be that you have a heel spur? Have u had an xray on it? I had a pain in my ball of the foot from Zumba class. I loved doing it but I hurt too much. So I bought a "pad" for it. But the pad does not work since the pain is near the bone. I would go to a doc and have it xrayed and you will see for sure what is what. We can guess all we want but xrays are what you need. I am sure after the weight is gone. The pain will subside. hugs.

reduces lactic acid from exercise. epsom salt baths of course.

Sometimes you realky need an anti inflammatory - my surgeon said just take it with a nexium or zantac to protect your tummy and short term should be fine.

He said the same about aspirin which is a known bowel cancer preventative, my oncologist wants me on ut. He said I could take aspirin if I Also went onto nexium.