Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pcos, Are The Majority Of You Feeling Successful?

I'm reading things here and there. And I'm nervous now having been banded that a lot of PCOS bandsters are not as successful as they would like to be. So, tell me your story. How are you doing?

Hi, I have PCOS and I was banded on April 26th. I lost 14 lbs with the preop diet and recovery and have not had a fill yet. About 3 weeks ago my weight loss stopped and it has fluctuated a pound or two up and down but basically I'm stuck at 14 lbs. I get my first fill next week, so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

I too have PCOS and am looking forward to hearing people's responses as I am getting close to my surgery now... just waiting for approval from my insurance and then it will be two weeks from then.... having this does make me nervous but I plan to work beyond hard at it! I am sure you will keep losing... good luck with everything!!

I too have PCOS and am looking forward to hearing people's responses as I am getting close to my surgery now... just waiting for approval from my insurance and then it will be two weeks from then.... having this does make me nervous but I plan to work beyond hard at it! I am sure you will keep losing... good luck with everything!!

Hey y'all! I've had pcos for 10 years now and was banded 5 months ago. It is the number 1 reason why I opted for the surgery.So far, I've lost 72 lbs!! I stopped taking my birth control pills 3 months ago, because I was getting horrible acne on my neck. I tried plenty of different kinds of birth control and it was in fact the reason why my acne was so bad. I'm super excited because I just finished my cycle for the 2nd month in a row. This is the first time in years that I've had a normal cycle that has lasted between 5-7 days and stopped.

I still want to lose 60 more lbs before I try to get pregnant.

stay away from sugar, eat small amounts (I still aim for 4 oz or less per meal per my dietitian), get 60-80 grams of Protein a day and get yourself addicted to working out at least 6 days a week. I started walking 1-2 miles at a pace i could handle 1 week after surgery and just tried to push myself a little harder every day.

There is an active PCOS thread elsewhere on lapbandtalk that is very informative.

I have the band 1.5 years and have lost 70 lbs. I would like to lose 25 lbs more to be 155 at 5 6 but am very happy with my progress to date. It has been slow and relatively easy to lose the weight until 190 lbs without exercise, but I realize to get to goal I really have to incorporate the exercise. I am on 1500 mg metformin and it really helps the weight loss. I am also on BC pills.

I must admit I am not that strict on limiting carb and sugar. I try to eat a well balanced diet but I do like a treat every day.

If you prefer to lose fast and lazy, gastric and its cousin the sleeve is better. The band you will have to work for success. But definitely not as hard as trying to lose without the band, which I couldn't ever do. I would try and try for nothing. I am very happy with my decision, particularly since my father in law had gastric and had crazy complications and looks "deflated." band people lose more gradually and look more normal to me.

Good luck! .

I initially lost 100 pounds in about 18 months. Then I had some complications... and regained 54. Part from the leak, and part because I gave up for awhile. Had my port replaced and relost about 30 pounds. Then life got in the way and I regained almost all of the 30. I am back on track... again... and am down a total of 70 since surgery.

I have to really watch my crab and sugar intake. If I eat fruit, I keep it in the afternoon. Exercise is also VERY important I do well when focused.. I think I lose slower than some... and have to work a wee bit harder. But when I stay focused, and have no mechanical issues... I do lose weight.

Adorkbl - I think we are following each other's blogs maybe? I'm ask me about my band, my lap band.

Formytwins - I kinda agree with you about gastric & the sleeve but I won't count anything out. You never know!

Adorkbl - I think we are following each other's blogs maybe? I'm ask me about my band' date=' my lap band.[/quote']

Yes. I think I found yours recently! Congrats on your new journey. Mine has been somewhat atypical. A few bumps along the way. Three months ago I was very negative and wanted my band out. I am much more positive right now.

Even if I never lost another pound I am 70 pounds less than I was when I started. Not what I envisioned when I had the surgery... certainly not my "goal"... but it is nothing to sneeze at!! As long as I don't eat 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's a day... keeping it off is a lot easier now than pre-band, and getting back on track is easier!!

I wish I was doing well. I was banded 8 months ago. I have only lost 16 pounds. I don't eat anything but Protein and a few fruits and veggies. Not sure what they are going to do but my doctor asked me to think about going the bypass route. The hardest part is the sadness and feeling of being deprived. Everyone has there own journey and I wish and pray it works out better for you.

I have had my band for 2years and have lost almost 100 pounds. I am not able to have children due to some other medical issues. I also had an ablation done a few years ago so do not have to worry about my period. 2nd best decision I ever made

Hi all, I was told 10 yrs ago I had pcos although I never displayed all symptoms. 2 yrs ago I got my band, lost 30 kg In the first 6-12 months, I fell pregnant within that year but also lost it, from that point my weight loss slowed right down and I maintained it , 6 months of no weightloss I found out I was pregnant again, had a very healthy baby boy now 4 months old, I never got my band unfilled, as I was eating a normal amount and my son wasn't being affected by it at all, only towards the last month the port was starting to hurt from the pressure, I had a fill of .3 ml 3 weeks ago and since then all I have done is put weight on, I have changed my diet completely to boost the weightloss but abit diss appointed in the result, time to go back to the doctors.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I was banded June 8, 2012 and diagnosed in 2005. I have struggled with pcos since my teens! I have lost the weight many times before this. I do this by not having suger and use to take metformin. I am hoping the LB will help me to regain it! I know it won't magically make the weight disappear, that is my job. I have lost 38 pounds since May 1, 2012. My gyn told me that he will make sure that the PCOS will not stop the process and so does my LB office. I figured if I try it, it doesn't work at least I can say and have the knowledge that I tried.