Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has The Band Actually Worked For You?

It seems like I'm reading an awful lot of posts about people who have not lost much, or any, weight since being banded. It feels like there aren't as many success posts as I'd expect to see. I'm starting to doubt this thing will work. So I'm wondering, would you be willing to write a really simple reply to these questions...

1. How long have you been banded?

2. How much weight did want to lose?

3. How much weight have you lost?

4. How happy are you that you have been banded: scale of 1-10 (1 being regretful, 10 being elated)

Feel free to paste the questions and just add your answers - and the shorter the better on the answers. Maybe add details below, after your 4 quick answers.

Hopefully this will help many people, not just me.

*Just to clarify, I'm not just asking for success stories, but all types of stories so we can get a fuller perspective all in one post. I REALLY want replies from people who love the band and people who hate it, and everything in between. I love the success stories and totally empathize with those who are struggling. I'm looking for a TRUE picture from people with experience they are willing to share.

I was banded on 3/20/12. I have lost 40lbs and I feel great. I've had 2 fills so far. I feel that the band is a wonderful tool to assist in weigh loss. I know for me I have to always be mindful of what I put in my mouth, I can't eat the same things I've eaten in the past. I make healthier choices and try to exercise 5 days a week. I'm not saying its easy, I struggle each day, mentally because I've realize the strong addiction I have to food. It's also good to have supportive people around you. Best of luck to you - God bless -

I noticed I missed a couple of questions, on a scale of 1-10 I would score it a 9 and my goal is to loose 120lbs so I have 80lbs to go!!!

13 months

I didn't have a specific amount in mind. I just knew that I was morbidly obese and had to do something urgently and permanently.

62kg, approx 135lb

4. How happy are you that you have been banded: scale of 1-10 (1 being regretful, 10 being elated)

Seriously, this has been the best think I have done for my health and I would do it again in a heartbeat if I needed to. Out cycling with friends this morning (yes, happily, willingly, voluntarily exercising), I told a friend that I had lost weight in the past but had always known that I would put it back on. The difference this time is that I know I will never regain that weight.

I was banded feb 9 2012. I've lost 42 lbs. I have about 20 to go. It took 112 days before I got good restriction. During that time I "dieted" just like the good old days. I didn't rely on the band. Now I have 8 cc in a 10cc band. Now the band has come alive as my partner. I'm glad I didn't waste my time playing overeater the first 112 days. I had faith it's paid off. I'm sliding into home base on a breeze. I am very thankful to have this band. It's like having the wind in my sail

Hi,

I was banded Oct. 30, 2009, so 2 1/2 years.

I wanted to lose until I was not overweight, about 100 lbs

I lost 100 lbs

I am happy at 10/elated!!!

Thanks for the questions. Karen

10 months

75 lbs. (I lost 25 between the time of my consultation and my surgery, so 'only' needed to lose 50 by the time of my surgery)

10+

My ONLY regret is that I didn't do this sooner! It's not a magic bullet - you still have to work at it, and focus on eating habits, etc., but it certainly has made it possible. I feel amazing!

3 weeks

100 lbs

21 lbs Pre op (since January) and 11 lbs post op.

One thing to keep in mind is that you won't only have scale victories. At surgery I had received 7 ccs in a 10 cc band. The 2 week liquid stage is where I lost a lot of pounds. I do see a lot ofnon scale victories. I have turned a lot of fat mass into muscle mass and have become leaner. I have dropped 2 dress sizes in a 3 week period. I can cross my legs and walk without my thighs rubbing. It has also given me more stamina and willpower to work out.

I have a little ways to reach my green zone but I'm doing fine with the results in achieving. I have learned its not all about the scale.

4. How happy are you that you have been banded: Scale of 1-10 (1 being regretful, 10 being elated)

I don't think there is a number high enough.

Banded 13 months

Wanted to lose about 80

Have lost about 72

scale is a 10+

I wish I would have done this sooner. I feel wonderful. I get compliments everyday, so I think I look wonderful. I did this for me, so the compliments are just an extra plus... The main reason is that is that I don't feel like im 80 years old anymore.

Since 8/11/2010

127 Pounds

69. Please see Below.

At First Consult I was 332 lb. I had already lost about 50 pounds through diet and exercise. Day of surgery I was 282. So I had already lost 100 pounds. I had no Water weight to loose at this point. Everything I had to loose was fat. Many bandsters the first 10 pounds is Water weight (which is true for anyone loosing weight.

I have another 60 to go. My experience is I would loose a lot of weight. Start to feel good about my self and then allow treats and rewards. I work out all the time I can start to have a candy bar every day. Then. I work out everyday I just don't feel like it today. Which turns into 2-3 days and eventually I stop going.

The band helps me stay on path. I may have a family party and have one meal that day that was pretty unhealthy and ate more than I should have. The band however helps me still only eat a relatively small amount of food. And I may not be hungry for dinner that night anyway. Ever notice if you eat badly yesterday, today you say what's the point of eating healty today? I ate horrible yesterday? The band stops me from overeating today.

I have been seriously working on my eating habits now since 1/1/2010. I don't know if ever in my life I have maintained healthy eating habits for that long. The band isn't meant to be a "diet". As in something of limited duration. It's meant to be a new lifestyle/relationship with food which I hope is permanent for me.

1. How long have you been banded? I was banded on 2/08/12, so almost 4 months..

2. How much weight did want to lose? around 119 This is from my heaviest from my surgery 105

3. How much weight have you lost? from my heaviest I've lost 76 from my surgery I've lost 62

4. How happy are you that you have been banded: scale of 1-10 (1 being regretful, 10 being elated) 10n very happy!, I've been very lucky with the band .. I've had no problems so far with the band. I only have 2.5 cc in the band so I have plenty of wiggly room and I feel great.. I use the band as a tool, I don't expect the band to do all the work, I just expect it to help a little but I know must of the work has to come from me..

Since 7/5/2011 - just under 11 months

100000++++++

MY ONLY REGRET is not doing it much sooner. Seriously. This is a life changing wonderful thing. I am complimented DAILY. It truly is wonderful.

Hi Momof3- It important to remember that this forum is a support group, so its natural for people to disscuss their trials and their issues. For most (not all) the failure to loose weight AT ALL is usually a diet/exercise issue.The same issues most have had before they had surgery. We as a group like to help each other see some of the areas where we can maybe improve.....or make suggestions on how to shake things up and speed up the metabolism. But its only natural to hear from those that are struggling. Thats what they are here for.,, encouragement .And for some, this is the first time they have been "all in" when it comes to loosing weight and it definately is a learning process.--So don't be discouraged by them, learn from them. We all have (and will be) struggling at some point during this journey...I'm proud of those that haven't given up and are on here daily trying to figure out what works for them. You aren't a failure......unless you say you are.

1. How long have you been banded? 2.5 months

2. How much weight did want to lose? 70ish pounds

3. How much weight have you lost? 38 pounds/I'm going to be at goal before Christmas!! Thats only a total of 9 months!!!

9- This has been the tool I need. I only ate 1200 calories a day before I had surgery....In order for me to loose I must be well below 1000 calories and exercise....I'm a very disciplined person I can live on 800-900 calories for a very long time.....but eventually I would need more. Once I would return to the 1200 calories a day I would very slowly begin to gain a 3/4 pound a month. I could never maintain my calories at 1000 forever!!! Now I actually think I will be able to do it. I feel good at 900 calories....I never thought I would be satisfied!! This is the best thing ever!! I gave it a 9 because there is always room for improvement.

I was banded 2/13/12, so about 4mths

108 lbs

69 lbs (25 lbs are pre-op weight loss)

7- I had a lot of health problems directly after surgery, and it took awhile for the problems to resolve. I did loose 45 lbs after surgery, but I was told that it was all me, since my band was completely empty and tests showed zero restriction. I was finally able to get a fill about 3 weeks ago, but it didn't do anything. I am hoping once I get to a good restriction, I can change my 7 to a 10, since this is getting harder without restriction!