Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Banded 22May And Feeling A Little Frustrated And Slightly Out Of Control

Hello! I am new here so let me give a little background... I am 35 years old, have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years, and I use the OmniPod insulin "pump". I was just banded on the 22nd of May, so now I am 4 days post-op. As far as feeling frustrated and somewhat out of control; I think the info I was given by my surgeon is causing the majority of these feelings. I have quite a few handouts that list do's and don't's and have sample meal plans. I have also called their office a few times to make sure I am "doin' it right". I think because I haven't really been given or recieved any concrete answers it is causing me to be overwhelmed. I think I must have a significant amount of swelling because, until today, I could barely "eat" 4 oz. of any liquid. Now I am moving into the puree stage and still feel full after about 4-6 oz. The sample diet has me eating anywhere from 4 - 8 oz. of pureed foods and various liquids every hour. I haven't had a chance to feel hungry and am still unsure how I am supposed to fit my 64oz of Water in each day. I sort of feel stuffed all the time. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance and to be talked off the ledge from people who have actually been there - done that. I am super excited to get this journey started but hate that I have had a rocky start. Thanks in advance and looking very forward to hearing from y'all! :)

I was banded on May 23rd and I am on a full liquid diet, but I can eat about 4-6 oz. at a sitting before I get full. Don't understand why you are starting pureed foods when you had your surgery only 4 days ago. I don't go on pureed foods for another 10 days.

For the first few days post-op, I consumed maybe 300 calories. The first week, swelling was up so I was unable to eat too much. Give it a couple weeks :)

I didn't eat much of anything the first weeks either. I also didn't drink all of the Water, I just sipped all the time. Don't worry, just let yourself heal!

I am sure you have to do some things differently with the diabetes, try to follow the ideas the doc gave you. Everyday will feel more "normal"

My first few days I was told only to have about 1 oz of water/liquid at a time. I actually set the timer on my phone for every 10-15 min to help myself get most of my liquids in. It sounds like your surgeon is not as conservative as mine since I was on full liquids until week 3 then I started mushies. At this stage I would also expect you to feel full after 4 oz of food or liquid if you are eating it all at once (within 30 min). I wouldn't push yourself to "eat" more than you feel comfortable with but do be sure to drink plenty of fluids. I would ask your doctors office if the sample diet they gave you is the same one they give all patients or if it is different for you since you are a type 1 diabetic. If it is the one they give everyone I would continue to ask for advice on here. Although I normally recommend for people to follow their surgeon/doctors advice it sounds like yours may be pushing you a little to fast.

It gets better! I think most people about day 3 or 4 start wondering what in the world they have done but soon are glad that they were banded. I was banded 6 weeks ago yesterday so I am by no means an expert but I am not too far ahead of you if you want help through the next few weeks!

Teri

I too went on pureed about 4 days after surgery. If you can't eat the pureed yet, substitute a Protein shake and count it as a portion of your liquids. Here's a manual the Grandma(her handle here) posted.

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Band-Patient-Manual.pdf

Now, this is a manual by a different doctor and you should follow your own doctors advice but this is a basic outline that many of us followed.

tmf

Hello! I am new here so let me give a little background... I am 35 years old' date=' have been a type 1 diabetic for 25 years, and I use the OmniPod insulin "pump". I was just banded on the 22nd of May, so now I am 4 days post-op. As far as feeling frustrated and somewhat out of control; I think the info I was given by my surgeon is causing the majority of these feelings. I have quite a few handouts that list do's and don't's and have sample meal plans. I have also called their office a few times to make sure I am "doin' it right". I think because I haven't really been given or recieved any concrete answers it is causing me to be overwhelmed. I think I must have a significant amount of swelling because, until today, I could barely "eat" 4 oz. of any liquid. Now I am moving into the puree stage and still feel full after about 4-6 oz. The sample diet has me eating anywhere from 4 - 8 oz. of pureed foods and various liquids every hour. I haven't had a chance to feel hungry and am still unsure how I am supposed to fit my 64oz of Water in each day. I sort of feel stuffed all the time. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance and to be talked off the ledge from people who have actually been there - done that. I am super excited to get this journey started but hate that I have had a rocky start. Thanks in advance and looking very forward to hearing from y'all! :)[/quote']

It's not a race !

Chill out relax and take your time :)

Go see your dietary person and they can help u figure out a plan

I was on liquids for three weeks after my op

I can eat lots now but its a mental thing .. my Braun has to catch up that's I can't eat

Some people feel a lot of restriction from day 1 most need a few fills to get a good satisfaction/restriction going, common sense should tell you that the written information on any things like diet/nutrition etc can only be for the average amount of people some will be less hungry some will be more hungry it is the nature of genral guidleines which is what u have been given .. stop beating yourself up over the small things that will probably not make an ounce of difference in the long run and chill and relax and heal .. good luck and i wish you every sucess ... :)

Has your dr given you diabetic-specific instructions? If so, I would recommend following them as closely as you can, rather than advice kindly offered with the best of intentions on here.

Apart from that, however, your feelings at this stage are completely normal!

I agree with Eggzy82. It's not a race. Instead of being frustrated that you can't take in more than you can, embrace it and be thankful. I was the same way after my banding 10 months ago. I sipped liquids all day long but felt full after only a couple of ounces. I was on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks after surgery, then full liquids for another week. Even when I started eating real foods, I could only eat about 1/4 to 1/2 of a cup. It was that way for a long time, but, I am down 70 lbs since my initial surgeon visit (including the weight I lost between then and surgery) and am a new person (mentally & physically). Relax, take your time, and embrace every day.

Cazzy, have you really lost 237 lbs? OMG! And in 1.5 years? You're my new hero! Screw those guys going up Mt Everest. What you've done has got to be harder?

tmf

Thanks so much everybody for all the advice!! It's great to know I have this forum to keep me company on my journey. :)

Finally! Someone here that is on the insulin pump. I am a Type I and have been for nearly 18 years.

Are you having a problem bolusing for the Protein shakes? It is driving me crazy. I counted all the carbs in my shake. It was 27 grams. I bolused for that amount. After 2 hours, my suagr was close to 400! Through trial and error, I think I need to bolus for abour 90 carbs. I think the extra comes from all of the Protein.< /p>

If you are doing the Protein Shakes, are you having any trouble with bolusing for them?

Dana

I had my surgery April 24, 2012. My first week was actually ok. I didn't feel like eating. I just sipped on broth and Gatorade to ensure I was getting in enough Fluid.

My second week was miserable, which was due to the fact that I not only had the lab band done, but also a hiatal hernia repaired while getting my lap band placed. My hernia repair was tremendously swollen and everything I consumed wanted to come back up. I had to increase my anti nausea medcine in order to get anything consumed. I did not go on my pureed diet until about 3 weeks after my surgery.

Everyones journey is different... And we are all in this together! I love this website, even though I am virtually new to sharing my story. Great place to share struggles and triumphs. I can't wait to see how much better things get for you!!

Keep your chin up and remind yourself that you just had major abdominal surgery! Your body might not want anything yet.... you need to listen to your body. if you're full, don't eat!! That is the purpose of the band. To learn how to listen to your bodies wants and needs.