Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Need To Drop 10Lbs!

Ok, so I went to see the surgeon and my only thing left to do before I can get my surgery day is I have to get my BMI to 49, and its currently like 50.7. I figured if I lose a good 10lbs. I should be right there. I have about 3 weeks to do so, and am looking for some advice on how to get off quickly. I dont really understand why it matters, as Im sure I will lose at least 10 on the liquid diet, but thats the rule, So any ideas???

Dumb rule but the best way is to go on Atkins. Most of the weight will be excess fluids but if it makes your Dr happy so be it. Plus, you won't starve to death since you can eat a lot of Protein. It's only 3 weeks so you may not miss the carbs all that much. 2nd option would be Paleo. Nothing white in your diet. No flour, no sugar and no dairy.

But for the quickest amount of weight loss(not necessarily fat loss) would be atkins. imo

tmf

How long is your pre-op prep diet? Could you just start it early? I had to do mine for 3 weeks.

Defiantly a diet with no proccesed foods and no sugar that includes sugar in all forms of dairy but if it's a natural sugar from fruit and vegetables that's fine, combine that with cardio, cardio you will loose 10 pounds in less than 3 weeks in 3 weeks you could loose 20. Best of luck let's us know how it goes :-)

I followed my pre-op diet from my doctor's office. 3 - 8 oz Protein shakes a day, 1 non-fat yogurt, 1/2 cup of fruit, 1 lean cuisine or similar and 1 cup of salad with 1 tbsp of lite dressing.

Example:

8 am - Protein shake

10 am - yogurt

12 pm - Protein Shake

2 pm - 1/2 cup of fruit (if using canned fruit, make sure it is in lite syrup)

4 pm - Protein shake

7 pm - lean cuisine and 1 cup of salad w/1 tbsp of lite dressing

What is your doctor recommending? Or is he just saying lose weight?

You can do it!!! My doctor didn't have a preop diet so I picked my own. For most of the month preop I did a Protein shake for Breakfast and dinner and a low fat/cal Protein based lunch.

Regarding protein powder: look for whey Isolate (better type of protein that my doctor prefers. Little more expensive but worth it) look for less than 120 cals for about 24 g of protein, less than 5 g of carbs and no more than 3 g of fat. I made mine with fat free milk (another 90 cals but about 8 g potein).

I made milk cubes which when making the shake in a blender gives a nice icy texture like a milkshake (or what we would call in NE a frappe). You can also add sugar/fat free pudding powder, as well as sugar free coffee syrups to change up the flavors. I did add frozen fruit but you could leave that out if you want to save the 50 cals (and carbs).

Hamilton Beach makes a great single serving blender which mixes in a travel mug. Super convenient and $15 at Walmart and target.

If you need a snack choose something protein based like grilled chicken breast strips or low fat cheese sticks.

I highly recommend Water based exercise. If I can walk out in front of the high school swim team at 365 pounds anyone can go swimming! Water proof MP3 player is fabulous (available on Amazon).

Thank you everyone!! Seriously this website is the BOMB :) everybody is so helpful! I think I'm going to go low carb, and try to exercise a lot... And if I wanted to do one Protein Shake a day would that be ok, like Breakfast? Mixed with the low carb diet?

Read the label. I've never had a low carb Protein shake but I'd bet they taste bad? The higher carb ones taste awful.JMO. Low or no carb means just that. You really can't screw up and drink or eat anything with carbs in it. Just make sure you read the label.

tmf

You can do Protein shakes with low carbs. My Protein Powder is 2 g carbs which you could mix with Water (some doctors require that). I made mine with fat free milk which would add carbs but also Protein. Premier brand ready to drink shakes are 160 cals, 30 g Protein, 5 carbs. Many bandsters use this brand available at costco and Sams (Costco currently has a $5 off coupon). As mentioned look at the carbs. Some ready to drink shakes have lots of carbs and thus lots of cals. For example Muscle Milk light is lower in cals Regular Muscle Milk has huge cals. Slimfast (even their high protein version) don't have enough protein for bariactric patients. Look for no less than 20 g in Protein Shakes and no more than 200 cals in premades.

I like Vitamin Shoppe because I feel their clerks understand their products. I know it's really embarrasing but you might want to go in look for a female worker and say "I'm having weight loss surgery. I need a low fat/cal/carb whey isolate Protein Powder. What do you suggest." They can tell you what brands have Isolate (not all do) and what flavors people like. If you buy a container and don't like it; you can exchange it for something else. My brands are Gold Standard, 100% whey Double chocolate, Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet vanilla.

I live alone and find costco worth the membership price. For post op I bought Pacific Brand smooth Soups there for great price. Get my Premier Protein shakes, great prices on blackberries, Walnuts (for my morning yogurt), cherries, mini bell peppers, and great pharmacy prices.

I lke the Pure Protein shakes- they have 35 gm of protein. The chocolate has 4 carbs, strawberry has 2 carbs and the banana has 1 carb. I got mine at vitaminshoppe.com.

Thought I would re visit this thread I got 8.5 lbs off, just have to get that last 1.5 and I'm Golden! After I weighed in I totally pigged out at olive garden, I felt so hungry and like I haven't had a cheat day, now I feel guilty about it, and my stomach wasn't happy either :( I found out surgery will be the week of July 16th one of those days so that ia super exciting to me!!! Thanks for all your ideas

Good job! I lost 15 pounds on the pre-op diet, so hopefully the last few pounds will come off easily for you!