Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Band Really Failing You, Or Are You Failing The Band?

Before I decided to get banded I thought like many people do. I should be able to eat less, exercise more and lose weight. I lost and regained the weight (usually more) over and over again. A few of my friends got banded and they all had mixed results. So, I went into this journey knowing the band is a tool. I knew my life would change, not just because of having lap band, but, because I WANTED it to change.

Now, I love my band, but as most of you know, its not always easy living with the band. Fast food is pretty much out, so is bread and sodas. I could choose to drink milkshakes and Cookies, but, I choose to live a healthier lifestyle. When my tummy hurts because I ate too fast or didn't chew my food, I learn that I must continue to use this tool the way it is intended. I am a work in progress.

It is SO worth it. I love being able to move easier and hear the doctor say "your lab results are outstanding". I would do it all over again.

Came across this thread and just felt it needed to be brought back to the top. Every newbie or going to be newbie should read this. Thank you Mis73 for getting it started

I had simply no professional advice that was worth having . I have spoken to a dietician three times in thirteen months and have never been asked how I am managing in a way that would suggest any real thought has gone into the after are. However this us my body and my brain. I can read and I can ask and I can seek advice. I can try and find out by trying and either being successful or pbbbbing ! Either way these are all my choices and my success or fail.

This thread is for me. I am failing my band and I'm confused as to where to go next.

My poor results are basically my fault. I got banded back on 2010 and lost 50lbs. I needed to lose a little over 100lbs. There was never much support from my surgeons office. The dietitian was pitiful and no help. Doing my research before being banded I saw that many had lots of supports and would have binders full of info from their surgeons. I got a few pages of hand outs . So I bought many books about banding even weight loss surgery for dummies.

My surgeons office is kind of out of the way for me so I was not able to get to support meetings.

Then my sister & Niece were diagnosed with cancer and that just really threw me off. I have not been back to my surgeons office in about a year now.

I don't know what to do. Should I go back to him? Should I find another Surgeon that is easier for me to get to for fills & support? I'm back to researching & looking for diets and I hate that. I have a lapband . I need to work that.

This thread is for me. I am failing my band and I'm confused as to where to go next. My poor results are basically my fault. I got banded back on 2010 and lost 50lbs. I needed to lose a little over 100lbs. There was never much support from my surgeons office. The dietitian was pitiful and no help. Doing my research before being banded I saw that many had lots of supports and would have binders full of info from their surgeons. I got a few pages of hand outs . So I bought many books about banding even weight loss surgery for dummies. My surgeons office is kind of out of the way for me so I was not able to get to support meetings. Then my sister & Niece were diagnosed with cancer and that just really threw me off. I have not been back to my surgeons office in about a year now. I don't know what to do. Should I go back to him? Should I find another Surgeon that is easier for me to get to for fills & support? I'm back to researching & looking for diets and I hate that. I have a lapband . I need to work that.

I so feel for you , you gave been through so much , I'm happy to talk anytime through my email which us here. Find a surgeon who ypu feel will help.

Is the band failing me, no. As my weight loss shows that. Plus my choices and exercise show that. On days I fail myself, yes the weight loss stopped.

I have multiple friends which were banded. And they have slowly gained weight from their poor choices. They are having milkshakes, candy, cocktails, and anything else you're not supposed to have. But it's not just that, they don't stop. They have one thing, then another, and another. Two of these girls hit goal, and expressed since they hit goal they can have it. Which is farthest from the truth. This is life long. Life long changes to a better and healthier you.

So has the band failed me. No. At times I fail, and the band helped me get right back on track !

This thread is for me. I am failing my band and I'm confused as to where to go next.

My poor results are basically my fault. I got banded back on 2010 and lost 50lbs. I needed to lose a little over 100lbs. There was never much support from my surgeons office. The dietitian was pitiful and no help. Doing my research before being banded I saw that many had lots of supports and would have binders full of info from their surgeons. I got a few pages of hand outs . So I bought many books about banding even weight loss surgery for dummies.

My surgeons office is kind of out of the way for me so I was not able to get to support meetings.

Then my sister & Niece were diagnosed with cancer and that just really threw me off. I have not been back to my surgeons office in about a year now.

I don't know what to do. Should I go back to him? Should I find another Surgeon that is easier for me to get to for fills & support? I'm back to researching & looking for diets and I hate that. I have a lapband . I need to work that.

I can only speak for myself, but if I realized that my surgeon's distance from my home was an obstacle in not only my success but good aftercare, I'd seek out someone closer.

You shouldn't have to try different fad diets anymore- that's why you have a Lap Band. I would be willing to bet that with good doctor care and adequate Fluid in your band, you could be very successful. It's clear you have the desire- now you just have to make some changes so that it's a reality.

You can do this! It's never too late :)

I can only speak for myself, but if I realized that my surgeon's distance from my home was an obstacle in not only my success but good aftercare, I'd seek out someone closer.

You shouldn't have to try different fad diets anymore- that's why you have a Lap Band. I would be willing to bet that with good doctor care and adequate Fluid in your band, you could be very successful. It's clear you have the desire- now you just have to make some changes so that it's a reality.

You can do this! It's never too late :)

Thank you so much for your responses and support.

Just wanted to get back to let you know that I'm in the process of having my surgeons office release my medical records to s surgeon that will be better available for me. They have more of a support system and the office staff is a pleasure to deal with. My former surgeons office staff are ridiculously rude and callous.

I'm looking forward to starting over again.

Per I am seeing a lot of posts that essentially say the Lap-Band has failed the poster. I see them go on and on how awful the band is because it didn't work for them' date=' most often calling it a waste of money as well. I know the band doesn't work for everyone, but I also cases of the actual band failing are pretty rare. More often than not, it's not the band that is failing but the person failing the band.

The most common reasons I see people failing their band are:

-poor food choices

-not following up on fills until they have good restriction

-living over-filled for months and months

-not eating properly (i.e. chewing, speed, bite sizes)

-a lack of education and understanding of the band

Whoever said the band would be easy was nuts. It's not. In fact, it's a lot of work. Life with the Lap-Band is one learning experience after another. Not only do we have to make good food choices for a lifetime, but we must constantly relearn how to eat after every fill. I've been very successful with the band but that has come with a ton of work. I do my very best to make good food choices and I'm patient with my band. For instance, I was filled this past Monday and could barely eat all week. I was getting a bit miserable, but I also fully realized it was my job to figure out how to work with the band. It took some trial and error, a lot of sliming and even one PB, but I finally figured it out. I was eating slow enough and chewing well enough but despite the fact I already thought my bites were small, they weren't small enough. This is the size of the bite I now need to be able to eat without issue:

Yes, it's tiny. I took a pic of my finger next to the bite for comparison. But my point is, I had to change my behavior to accommodate the band it didn't change for me. It's my job to do the work for a lifetime.

We also should be going into this surgery well educated, yet so many go into it completely ignorant. Folks this is your body, your health, it is YOUR responsibility to learn all the facts and empower yourself through education before going into surgery. It constantly blows my mind how people can spend days researching a car, or maybe reading up on facts before buying a new PC, yet they go into surgery completely clueless. If you're reading this, you're obviously online, thus there is no excuse for not learning all you can about the Lap-Band before you have surgery. If you're reading this after surgery and are clueless, then start researching now because it's much better late than never. Even ask questions here on the forum and read past posts, do something to educate yourself. But do not go into this completely ignorant then wail "oh the band sucks and doesn't work". You have no one to blame but yourself.

So the next time you see a post bashing the band, read between the lines a bit. More often than not you'll find out the band did exactly what it was supposed to do and didn't fail- it's the person who failed the band.[/quote']

I agree whole heartedly. I have only been banded since 8-23 and haven't had a fill yet but I think I'm to the point I might need one but I am going to call dr to see if I should wait until after vacation...will be in Hawaii and don't want any trouble. My problem I'm having is getting myself to exercise more often. May be joining a gym to see if that will be conducive. But I know it's Not the band but me who has to set the pace for eating and exercising. Hope all the newbies take you're advice. And the complainers.

I think this should be a mandatory read when you join this web site, lol

Per usual' date=' I am seeing a lot of posts that essentially say the Lap-Band has failed the poster. I see them go on and on how awful the band is because it didn't work for them, most often calling it a waste of money as well. I know the band doesn't work for everyone, but I also cases of the actual band failing are pretty rare. More often than not, it's not the band that is failing but the person failing the band.

The most common reasons I see people failing their band are:

-poor food choices

-not following up on fills until they have good restriction

-living over-filled for months and months

-not eating properly (i.e. chewing, speed, bite sizes)

-a lack of education and understanding of the band

Whoever said the band would be easy was nuts. It's not. In fact, it's a lot of work. Life with the Lap-Band is one learning experience after another. Not only do we have to make good food choices for a lifetime, but we must constantly relearn how to eat after every fill. I've been very successful with the band but that has come with a ton of work. I do my very best to make good food choices and I'm patient with my band. For instance, I was filled this past Monday and could barely eat all week. I was getting a bit miserable, but I also fully realized it was my job to figure out how to work with the band. It took some trial and error, a lot of sliming and even one PB, but I finally figured it out. I was eating slow enough and chewing well enough but despite the fact I already thought my bites were small, they weren't small enough. This is the size of the bite I now need to be able to eat without issue:

Yes, it's tiny. I took a pic of my finger next to the bite for comparison. But my point is, I had to change my behavior to accommodate the band it didn't change for me. It's my job to do the work for a lifetime.

We also should be going into this surgery well educated, yet so many go into it completely ignorant. Folks this is your body, your health, it is YOUR responsibility to learn all the facts and empower yourself through education before going into surgery. It constantly blows my mind how people can spend days researching a car, or maybe reading up on facts before buying a new PC, yet they go into surgery completely clueless. If you're reading this, you're obviously online, thus there is no excuse for not learning all you can about the Lap-Band before you have surgery. If you're reading this after surgery and are clueless, then start researching now because it's much better late than never. Even ask questions here on the forum and read past posts, do something to educate yourself. But do not go into this completely ignorant then wail "oh the band sucks and doesn't work". You have no one to blame but yourself.

So the next time you see a post bashing the band, read between the lines a bit. More often than not you'll find out the band did exactly what it was supposed to do and didn't fail- it's the person who failed the band.[/quote']

I am an example of the clueless quick fix "syndrome" mindset, and I have paid for it. I was banded in 2009 in California knowing that I would be moving out of state for a job a month later. At first I lost about 47 pounds in about 8 months, but with no fills or follow up care I gained it all back. No surgeon wanted to touch someone else's "work" in my experience and I was basically screwed until about three months ago when after moving back to California I decided to see if I could find my surgeon. I did, and even though he is a horror of a man and I have since found an awesome new Dr., at least it was a step in the right direction. I "restarted" my band journey at 268 pounds....the EXACT weight I was preband! Since then I have researched and found that the band is about being comfortable in between meals, not eating and expecting the band to cork you during a meal. I've learned that after losing weight, you need more fills to maintain a healthy relationship with your band, and eating everything's not an option, take it day by day, food by food. Well, the point of this essay on me was to agree that research and follow up care is essential to success, and it is always better late than never. Right now I have lost 23 pounds.

I am an example of the clueless quick fix "syndrome" mindset, and I have paid for it. I was banded in 2009 in California knowing that I would be moving out of state for a job a month later. At first I lost about 47 pounds in about 8 months, but with no fills or follow up care I gained it all back. No surgeon wanted to touch someone else's "work" in my experience and I was basically screwed until about three months ago when after moving back to California I decided to see if I could find my surgeon. I did, and even though he is a horror of a man and I have since found an awesome new Dr., at least it was a step in the right direction. I "restarted" my band journey at 268 pounds....the EXACT weight I was preband! Since then I have researched and found that the band is about being comfortable in between meals, not eating and expecting the band to cork you during a meal. I've learned that after losing weight, you need more fills to maintain a healthy relationship with your band, and eating everything's not an option, take it day by day, food by food. Well, the point of this essay on me was to agree that research and follow up care is essential to success, and it is always better late than never. Right now I have lost 23 pounds.

Christina, I have so much respect for learning about the band and starting over again. I think you should look at this as your new "first day" and go forward from here. I'm sure you'll have amazing success :)

The hubby and I have been talking about retiring out of state. Actually half way across the planet to Hawaii. Reading about all the people who have moved and lost touch with their surgeons, as set me on a plan for how I am going to be able to maintain our band when we decide it's right for us to relocate.

I know it's not for several years, but I am hoping to start investigating property there shortly. I think I will also do some research on band doctors on the islands, and see what I find. If I find someone that we like perhaps we can get him and our current Dr. in touch with each other so when we finally relocate there won't be an issue.

I always worry about that, other doctors not wanting to take on new patients that aren't theirs.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's feedback because it's helping me to get ready for the future :) Just thought I would share.

The hubby and I have been talking about retiring out of state. Actually half way across the planet to Hawaii. Reading about all the people who have moved and lost touch with their surgeons, as set me on a plan for how I am going to be able to maintain our band when we decide it's right for us to relocate.

I know it's not for several years, but I am hoping to start investigating property there shortly. I think I will also do some research on band doctors on the islands, and see what I find. If I find someone that we like perhaps we can get him and our current Dr. in touch with each other so when we finally relocate there won't be an issue.

I always worry about that, other doctors not wanting to take on new patients that aren't theirs.

Anyway I appreciate everyone's feedback because it's helping me to get ready for the future :) Just thought I would share.

It may be easier to find a new Dr than you think.

I posted up thread about my dilemma. I was banded back in 8/2010. I went to my 1st info seminar at NYU because my primary dr recommended Dr Fielding to me. I went through all the beginning paperwork to then be told that their Dr's do not accept my insurance . I was so disappointed but I was then so ready for my surgery so I decided to go with another Dr at another hospital that did accept my insurance.

He was great. He did a great job and I didn't have a drop of pain. Only thing was that his office staff is horrible . I hated dealing with them. On top of that I've never been to a support group because they are at inconvenient times and out of the way. He is also very conservative with the fills after a year I was and am only about 5cc. Which may be good for some.

I have also had my own issues with emotional eating because of serious illness in the family.

Anyway, I got an email from NYU saying that they now accept my insurance . I knew that I was in desperate need of help and support so I called the office explained my situation and asked if I could come to them . Thankfully, they said yes !! They even have a dept. Called surgery elsewhere.

I called my former surgeons office and after much hassle with the snippy assistant they finally sent NYU my medical records. I'm so happy to be having my first appt with them next Tuesday. I'm looking at it like a fresh new start with my band.

Hey, I had surgery if I don't make this work what will I do? I know I've made mistakes but I have to succeed with this.