Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is The Band Really Failing You, Or Are You Failing The Band?

Per usual, I am seeing a lot of posts that essentially say the Lap-Band has failed the poster. I see them go on and on how awful the band is because it didn't work for them, most often calling it a waste of money as well. I know the band doesn't work for everyone, but I also cases of the actual band failing are pretty rare. More often than not, it's not the band that is failing but the person failing the band.

The most common reasons I see people failing their band are:

-poor food choices

-not following up on fills until they have good restriction

-living over-filled for months and months

-not eating properly (i.e. chewing, speed, bite sizes)

-a lack of education and understanding of the band

Whoever said the band would be easy was nuts. It's not. In fact, it's a lot of work. Life with the Lap-Band is one learning experience after another. Not only do we have to make good food choices for a lifetime, but we must constantly relearn how to eat after every fill. I've been very successful with the band but that has come with a ton of work. I do my very best to make good food choices and I'm patient with my band. For instance, I was filled this past Monday and could barely eat all week. I was getting a bit miserable, but I also fully realized it was my job to figure out how to work with the band. It took some trial and error, a lot of sliming and even one PB, but I finally figured it out. I was eating slow enough and chewing well enough but despite the fact I already thought my bites were small, they weren't small enough. This is the size of the bite I now need to be able to eat without issue:

post-327257-0-49971900-1337878521_thumb.jpg

Yes, it's tiny. I took a pic of my finger next to the bite for comparison. But my point is, I had to change my behavior to accommodate the band it didn't change for me. It's my job to do the work for a lifetime.

We also should be going into this surgery well educated, yet so many go into it completely ignorant. Folks this is your body, your health, it is YOUR responsibility to learn all the facts and empower yourself through education before going into surgery. It constantly blows my mind how people can spend days researching a car, or maybe reading up on facts before buying a new PC, yet they go into surgery completely clueless. If you're reading this, you're obviously online, thus there is no excuse for not learning all you can about the Lap-Band before you have surgery. If you're reading this after surgery and are clueless, then start researching now because it's much better late than never. Even ask questions here on the forum and read past posts, do something to educate yourself. But do not go into this completely ignorant then wail "oh the band sucks and doesn't work". You have no one to blame but yourself.

So the next time you see a post bashing the band, read between the lines a bit. More often than not you'll find out the band did exactly what it was supposed to do and didn't fail- it's the person who failed the band.

AMEN

Carolinagirl--I'm not sure if you are addressing me? As you can see by my ticker, the band did work for me. I've lost almost 100 pounds although I have stayed steady at my current weight for a few years.

That said, I do think there are a lot of negatives to having a lapband and I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing those opinions. This is a forum to discuss lapband issues and concerns therefore both positive and negative comments are perfectly legitimate.

Good luck on your surgery!

What are your negatives with your band? I can't think of one that I have myself, honestly.

Why are you posting on a WLS site which is devoted to individuals who are on a weight loss journey using the band to assist them? You seem to be promoting negative thinking on a forum comprised of a community of supportive individuals who share their experiences and ideas to improve the quality of their lives.

We're positive people here' date=' who both value and Celebrate everyone's individuality. An I believe you agree that we stress that we are all individuals, and one's mileage with this journey will and does vary...[/quote']

I'm posting on this site because I am a successful Bandster and I don't think I have ever promoted negative thinking.

I suppose I should only reply to posts if I agree 100% with the forum...

Hmmm...I guess I don't understand the purpose of this forum

I personally welcome any and all opinions about the band. Everyone should have their say without being judged or assumptions being made.

What are your negatives with your band? I can't think of one that I have myself, honestly.Hi Holly Dolly! I couldn't get the quote function to work so I hope your quote is showing up.I have had my band for almost four years so I've had a long time to "get used to it" but I guess I have "failed my band" since I still struggle with many aspects of life with the band. Such as:1. Not being able to drink and eat at the same time--this has actually led to issues with dehydration2. Not being able to enjoy going out to eat--I almost always have a sense of dread about the experience3. Watching a cooking/travel show and thinking, "Well, that restaurant looks so yummy--too bad I'll never be able to enjoy it"4. Throwing up a lot, a lot, a lot5. Off and on acid refluxThe positives, of course, are being many pounds lighter and I would never say that I don't enjoy that aspect of the band. I KNOW that most of my negatives are because I am not "being good." But I am human and I bet there are a lot of people on this forum who also struggle with these same issues--that's why I feel that it is definitely fair game for discussion.

Sorry about the formatting on my post above--I have it nicely formatted but it went away and I can't get the edit function to work.

What are your negatives with your band? I can't think of one that I have myself, honestly.Hi Holly Dolly! I couldn't get the quote function to work so I hope your quote is showing up.I have had my band for almost four years so I've had a long time to "get used to it" but I guess I have "failed my band" since I still struggle with many aspects of life with the band. Such as:1. Not being able to drink and eat at the same time--this has actually led to issues with dehydration2. Not being able to enjoy going out to eat--I almost always have a sense of dread about the experience3. Watching a cooking/travel show and thinking, "Well, that restaurant looks so yummy--too bad I'll never be able to enjoy it"4. Throwing up a lot, a lot, a lot5. Off and on acid refluxThe positives, of course, are being many pounds lighter and I would never say that I don't enjoy that aspect of the band. I KNOW that most of my negatives are because I am not "being good." But I am human and I bet there are a lot of people on this forum who also struggle with these same issues--that's why I feel that it is definitely fair game for discussion.

I don't consider that failing your band. I'm talking about the people who come on here "warning" others how horrible the band is, how they wasted their money, and how the band "doesn't work" and is essentially crap. Yet, you find out they never changed their eating habits, or they never followed up with fills, or had learned to eat around the band and did so regular. They are the ones who failed the band.

What you're talking about is being human. We all struggle and this is a wonderful place for support and encouragement when we need it. There is a huge difference between someone simply looking for advice or support and someone blaming their band for own mistakes.

there are some that follow a lapband diet Sunday through Friday and splurge some on Saturday. You should be able to eat most (depending when you had your fill last). It's all about the quantity you have eaten. If you are eating like you should 6 days a week and then on that seventh you splurged some, then you should be fine.

I don't consider that failing your band. I'm talking about the people who come on here "warning" others how horrible the band is, how they wasted their money, and how the band "doesn't work" and is essentially crap. Yet, you find out they never changed their eating habits, or they never followed up with fills, or had learned to eat around the band and did so regular. They are the ones who failed the band.

What you're talking about is being human. We all struggle and this is a wonderful place for support and encouragement when we need it. There is a huge difference between someone simply looking for advice or support and someone blaming their band for own mistakes.

Thanks Mis73! You're right--I think anyone that has a band can get down on it for numerous reasons but I certainly wouldn't tell someone not to get one or that they are useless!

The struggle is part of life!

Ok so I didn't know the band was supposed to "work FOR me" I thought it's supposed to ASSIST me as I do the work. I'm only eight weeks banded so I won't be offended by a pat on the head from veterans.but I went in for my 2nd fill last week and refused it.my doc said most people he has to talk out of the next fill cuz usually they want magic 5-6 lbs weight loss all the way to goal.I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week yes I get hungry but I changed my snack options cuz the band can't do that for me.instead of dorritos and a snicker ,it's Protein Bar or fruit (usually) like everyone else I'm human so I don't always make good choices but I don't blame the band for that.it's not a brain band.when I came back to this site earlier this yr.there was a post by someone saying the band failed them because although he eats smaller portions and can no longer eat a whole pizza in a sitting ,He had recently ate a whole pizza over the course of a day so my question is how is that the bands fault that u chose pizza for every meal? any way maybe my story will change in the future but I feel like it's assisting me.I'm not at the green zone but I do feel a little resistance.if I stop losing my 1 LB a week I will get a fill. I know that it's not for everybody but I believe that most of the people complaining are not doing their part if they are honest.I never expected the Band to work FOR me.but I feel like having it in even with little resistance had helped me change my mindset for me to work it.

Ok so I didn't know the band was supposed to "work FOR me" I thought it's supposed to ASSIST me as I do the work. I'm only eight weeks banded so I won't be offended by a pat on the head from veterans.but I went in for my 2nd fill last week and refused it.my doc said most people he has to talk out of the next fill cuz usually they want magic 5-6 lbs weight loss all the way to goal.I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week yes I get hungry but I changed my snack options cuz the band can't do that for me.instead of dorritos and a snicker ,it's Protein bar or fruit (usually) like everyone else I'm human so I don't always make good choices but I don't blame the band for that.it's not a brain band.when I came back to this site earlier this yr.there was a post by someone saying the band failed them because although he eats smaller portions and can no longer eat a whole pizza in a sitting ,He had recently ate a whole pizza over the course of a day so my question is how is that the bands fault that u chose pizza for every meal? any way maybe my story will change in the future but I feel like it's assisting me.I'm not at the green zone but I do feel a little resistance.if I stop losing my 1 LB a week I will get a fill. I know that it's not for everybody but I believe that most of the people complaining are not doing their part if they are honest.I never expected the Band to work FOR me.but I feel like having it in even with little resistance had helped me change my mindset for me to work it.

How do you get a band over bypass? Do you mean there is people out there that have a bypass then are not happy and then get a lap band ? Man and thier stomachs are really small, there seems like there won't be any stomach left once they put the band on, how? I don't understand that one, seems to me that every one that I've know that has gotten the bypass has lost alot of wieght and love it . Not one has gain there wieght back maybe a lb or two but not more , they look great and it was fast so yes they have hanging skin but with Medicare anyway when u get the bypass a boob job and Tummy Tuck is also covered , I'm trying the lap band , it's nice to know if it doesn't work for me , that it can be removed then I can have the bypass, I feel there is still hope if I fail again, fingers crossed a lot of cal. Counting and dealing with a lot of hunger pains exercise I'm giving it my all . I'm 5 and half weeks out and no fills and have only lost 25 lbs . And that was lost the first two weeks , now I'm stuck , the scales r not moving . Anyway I was just wondering how it is possible for someone to go from gastric bypass to Lapland?

there are people who have failed the sleeve and gastric bypass as well. There was one gal at my education class that is getting band over bypass.

How is that possible to get a band over a bypass? I've heard of bypass over the band but never band over the bypass, isn't there stomach to small?

She must have stretched it back out....but my surgeon has said he's had a few band over bypass

The band is a simply a part of a team that includes you and your doctor (and their staff as mine has a dietician and exercise guru he works with). You all have to work together. But the brunt of the responsibility is on YOU! YOU have to follow the band rules of eating properly (nutrition and amount) and EXERCISE and YOU have to let you doctor and staff know if there are problems or if something isn't going as expected. They can't read your mind.

When I went back to my doctor for the first time in over a year and discovered I gained 20lbs of the 70 I had lost, I said, it's totally MY fault!!! Although I exercised faithfully, I wasn't eating the right things, I ate too much, and I didn't come see you guys routinely as I should have. I know I've gone through some stressfull stuff over the past year, but that is no excuse, I messed up with my badn. And he said, "I am proud of you, because most patients will not admit to their responsibility in lapband setbacks and those are the ones who don't do well, because we and the band separate can only do so much. The rest is up to the patient. That is why I know in the end you will be a success, because you understand your responsiblity of it and that us with the band are a team and have to work together!"

Lapband is not easy, it's a permanent diet, a lifestyle change, and the patient has to own up to their responsibility in eating right and communicating honestly with their doctor and being honest with themselves!