Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery, Do Any Of You Struggle With Still Eating Too Fast ???

I can totally relate to this .... My husband is a fast eater and then in 15 minutes he is asking for the check if we are in a restaurant and I'm just getting started. I'm thinking about getting a baby fork and spoon. Also, someone mentioned putting the fork down between bites and I think that helps.

mrspopeye..this is a problem that i think most of us have at least thought about at some stage. i havent eaten out yet at a decent restaurant so ive yet to deal with it. i know how it is at home.. hubbie eats way too quickly.

isnt it amazing how sensitive we become to bad eating habits in others?? the way we once used to be?

Hubbie and i have gone into fast food places, he has had a quick fix and ive had a cuppa Soup. that works well in fast food joints... not on in a decent restaurant though. Perhaps ordering a childs menu? i know that often they just have chicken and chips... ewwww... but perhaps its worth asking if they do have childrens serves.

how long did it take you to come right after your 3rd fill? my second fill was a problem' date=' it took me two weeks.[/quote']

I'm not understanding. I had no issues after my 1st fill. I didn't get my 2nd fill until over 2 mos bcuz I changed Drs. Thereafter my fills are 6wks apart. I hope I answered your question.

My hardest fill was after my third fill, it took me 3 weeks to learn to eat again and not get stuck. That being said, I think my third fill put me in my green zone for the first time in 19 months. I rarely get stuck now, only when I eat to fast or eat something leafy like, greens or mixed green lettuce.

Bansters:

I know most (if they struggle with this) will quickly realize that they can't eat fast at all do to the band in place. Furthermore' date=' I know many are forced to eat very slow because of the band iin them.

However, I'm wonder if many forget that they have the band ....and "woof down" food like they did before surgery. I'm sensing that some old mindsets and behaviors still do exist post surgery. I"m always on the "go" and this is one thing I'm wondering if I may have a problem with.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks Bansters ![/quote']

Only when I am really hungry....if I can avoid getting hungry then I can control how fast I eat. I really can't woof anything down because I am usually stuck by the second bite when I eat fast, then I have to stop eating till it passes....

I just got my band and I am afraid this will be a huge problem for me. I am a teacher, so I am used to woofing down my food during a 20 minute lunch.< /p>

I just got my band and I am afraid this will be a huge problem for me. I am a teacher, so I am used to woofing down my food during a 20 minute lunch.

Shouldn't be a problem. You'll just have to adjust what you eat and stick with foods that don't cause for you to get stuck. You'll know what those foods are as you progress down the road. And, you won't be eating nearly as much so I don't see it as a "huge" problem. A speed bump, yes, but it's manageable.

"Ask for your limitations and they're yours"...Richard Bach

tmf

Oh yes! I don't have it happen every meal BUT.... it does happen a lot. My problem is forgetting to slow down between bites. Old habits. It is no fun eating your food cold, but if I don't want to get stuck....or have issues, you must slow down. I get really bad left shoulder pain ( sometimes, excruciating) when I am careless. I can tell I have gotten too hasty because I start belching a lot...and can tell something isn't going down well. Last week I had a rough episode and wasn't willing to finish my meal so I just had a Protein Drink instead. This is with only one fill since surgery on Feb 29.

Sorry, this was a double post.

My surgeon instructed me to eat for no more than 20 minutes; then stop....

I get 3, 1 cup meals a day and an am & pm high Protein snack.< /p>

So by the time I chew and put the fork down etc... I have only ate about half of my meal.

After getting a stuck because I was over filled....I really try to take little bites and have learned what I can eat and what I need to leave behind. Still have some slimes, like the other day at a family event. I always have a paper towel, napkin something in my purse....cuz...when it blows it blows.

I still have this mind set and. Pay for it I am trying to train myself to eat several small meals but my mind and habits still want eat a full meal in one sitting. I am so use to over eating that even knowing I will be running to toilet I will still keep eating. I fill full but I want to finish my food. I bought smaller plates to help with this a cup bowl and small dinner plates help me have it measured but I really should be eating even less.

I'm not understanding. I had no issues after my 1st fill. I didn't get my 2nd fill until over 2 mos bcuz I changed Drs. Thereafter my fills are 6wks apart. I hope I answered your question.

yep... thanks... you did answer my question.

My hardest fill was after my third fill, it took me 3 weeks to learn to eat again and not get stuck. That being said, I think my third fill put me in my green zone for the first time in 19 months. I rarely get stuck now, only when I eat to fast or eat something leafy like, greens or mixed green lettuce.

so you have had issues with getting stuck after fills as well?? ive only had one fill, it took me two weeks to come right again, i thought my throat was cut.. lol. im over that now though. what have you noticed now you are in the green zone? whats different for you from before?

I struggle at tunes when I'm visiting with friends or family, when I have waited too long too eat and I'm hungry, or I'd I'm watching a T.V. Show and not paying attention. Broken rule and stuck episode is a reminder of your band tool. Slow down, small bites, chew good, and don't get side tracked. It never seems important until later when your fills restrict you more...than those golden rules really affect you. Advice...practice now.

weight.png

I'm very surprised at everyones comments. I would have thought (because of how the band always reminds us to eat slower) that so many still struggle with eating too fast. Interesting observation.....at least I'm glad I know what potential patterns I may struggle with before I get this sucker in me...haha. Because I'm always on the go and very task oriented type of person...I tend to woof down food quick to get to the next task (haha). Got to learn to slow down a tad bit.

The band doesn't really remind you, until it gives you negative information. I am unaware of my band when all is going well. If I am chewing well and taking small bites, I do not get any feedback from my band. When I take a bite that is too big and don't chew it well, THAT is when I am reminded I have a band.

After over 4 years living with my band, I do generally eat slower, take smaller bites, and chew better. But there are times when old habits die hard...all it takes is one slight oops....

When I was newly banded, I would pause before each mean and remind myself to chew, chew, chew, and take little tiny bites. It helped, but I'd still get stuck from time-to-time.

The band doesn't really remind you, until it gives you negative information. I am unaware of my band when all is going well. If I am chewing well and taking small bites, I do not get any feedback from my band. When I take a bite that is too big and don't chew it well, THAT is when I am reminded I have a band.

Denise,

I was beginning to think I was the only one. Seems like so many people get that full or satisfied feeling and can stop and not be hungry again for 4 hours. Jean McMillan talks about satiety over fullness but I'm like you, my band only speaks to me when it's struggling to allow food to pass if I've eaten too much or too quickly. And I can graze non-stop as I seem to always be hungry(but never starved or ravenous). I'm still new to this(6 mos) so I continue to look for those signals.

tmf