Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery, Do Any Of You Struggle With Still Eating Too Fast ???

After my second fill a couple weeks ago, eating slow and chewing well have become second nature. The first few days back on regular foods were interesting, as I got minor stucks multiple times because I kept trying to eat like I had been. The pain of being stuck is a big enough unconscious reminder to not eat like that.

I have learned the hard way.... Only one actual stuck episode, but it was scary. I read somewhere to cut your food into eraser sized bites.... And I thought that was too small. But, the day I did cut it into eraser sized bites, was the best meal!!!!

I do have to think all the time while eating to chew and eat slowly. But, sometimes those roast chicken thighs smell and taste sooooo great, it's not easy.

Also, because I am eating so much more slowly, the food gets cold and is not as appealing. A benefit , I guess!

Small bites, chew, slow eating, no liquids with meals, eat without distractions..... All good advice!!!!

I have learned the hard way.... Only one actual stuck episode, but it was scary. I read somewhere to cut your food into eraser sized bites.... And I thought that was too small. But, the day I did cut it into eraser sized bites, was the best meal!!!!

I do have to think all the time while eating to chew and eat slowly. But, sometimes those roast chicken thighs smell and taste sooooo great, it's not easy.

Also, because I am eating so much more slowly, the food gets cold and is not as appealing. A benefit , I guess!

Small bites, chew, slow eating, no liquids with meals, eat without distractions..... All good advice!!!!

all these posts are such good advice. the one thing that really stands out here for me at the moment is... DISTRACTIONS !!...

i dont know about you but for decades ive either watched t.v. or read, or done something distracting while ive been eating my meals...or got too involved in conversation... it just became a life style.

Now i think its one of the biggest hurdles that i have to contend with. The other day we were eating a meal when we had a visitor. i should have just put my meal away but tried to continue eating. Bad move.! because i was distracted the meat got stuck and i had a major episode of sliming and vomiting in the afternoon. it was so awful.

Next time we have visitors at mealtime..(which i wish we wouldnt get... ) i will just put my meal away. Now im thinking it all through its definately distraction that is a lot of my problem. Hopefully as time goes by and the new habits kick in more i wont need to leave my meals for any reason,or i wont have to think about what im doing so much.

Grandma - my first stuck episode was also mindlessly popping a deviled egg into my mouth. Never again. I still sometimes eat to fast, but then my band does something to remind me. Unfortunately, i do not think I will ever be one of those that eats really slow. But I am very careful to take small bites and chew, chew, chew.

OMG THAT IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM. HARD HABIT TO BREAK

it sure is... a bigger habit than i ever would have thought.

Ive just finished my lunch... i had four oz of bacon with egg and it went down really well. This time, i cut the bacon into small fingernail size bites and ate slowly while concentrating. I really did enjoy my lunch.< /p>

im full now but no discomfort. way to go.

Conversing while eating is a rough one! We get in a hurry to make a point, swallow, and UGH! It is very important to finish cewing before speaking.

Yes,I think I eat too fast. Atleast not chewing enough. My habit is swallowing food as I chew. When I got my 3rd fill about 5wks ago I was getting stuck everytime I ate. Which I made everything come back up to get relief. Next week I go for the 4th fill, and I'm damn near scared. Not sure if I'll be able to eat.

I'm very surprised at everyones comments. I would have thought (because of how the band always reminds us to eat slower) that so many still struggle with eating too fast. Interesting observation.....at least I'm glad I know what potential patterns I may struggle with before I get this sucker in me...haha. Because I'm always on the go and very task oriented type of person...I tend to woof down food quick to get to the next task (haha). Got to learn to slow down a tad bit.

I am 19 months post op and I still forget sometimes and eat to fast,if I allow myself to get too hungry. As stated above the negative reinforcement does make you realize how important it is to chew.

Me too. I still forget I have a band sometimes and just start eating normally. It only takes a couple of bites to get that feeling of impending doom.

My hardest habit to break & I'm going on 2 years post op.

I can totally relate to this. My husband is a fast eater and then in 15 minutes he is asking for the check if we are in a restaurant and I'm just getting started. I'm thinking about getting a baby fork and spoon. Also, someone mentioned putting the fork down between bites and I think that helps.

Yes,I think I eat too fast. Atleast not chewing enough. My habit is swallowing food as I chew. When I got my 3rd fill about 5wks ago I was getting stuck everytime I ate. Which I made everything come back up to get relief. Next week I go for the 4th fill, and I'm damn near scared. Not sure if I'll be able to eat.

how long did it take you to come right after your 3rd fill? my second fill was a problem, it took me two weeks.

how long did it take you to come right after your 3rd fill? my second fill was a problem, it took me two weeks.

correction. that should have read FIRST FILL...judy