Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on 3/29 and now up to 3.5 in my band (first fill of 1 cc last week). I didn't know what sliming was until I got that fill. So now it happens a lot and I'm concerned that I have extended my pouch or have slippage. I'm supposed to go back next week for a fill but kinda worried. Need more information on this sliming. I chew my food well and still gets stuck so I guess that is one of my reasons that I slime like this. This is so gross.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Learning to eat with your band is both a learning experience and an adventure. I've also gone through the sliming- it's totally gross. What I'm finding is, after each fill, I have retry foods and learn to chew/eat all over again. I actually just got a fill on Monday and I'm still struggling to get on solid foods after it.

What I find works is to take really tiny bites of food, like the size of a bite you'd feed a toddler. Then, chewing until it's complete mush. I also wait at least 30 seconds between bites, sometimes longer. I always eat with a fork, even pizza and sandwiches, so I can be sure I'm not accidentally taking too big a bite.

It can't hurt to mention to your doctor at next visit, just to ease your mind if nothing else.

Best wishes.

Mis is right. You may need to find other foods that you can eat. I could eat steak until my fill 2 weeks ago. Now I can't I've found. Fish is OK for me now. Salads were just fine till this last fill too. You will have to relearn every time you get a fill. Good luck.

tmf

I had my surgery on 3/29 and now up to 3.5 in my band (first fill of 1 cc last week). I didn't know what sliming was until I got that fill. So now it happens a lot and I'm concerned that I have extended my pouch or have slippage. I'm supposed to go back next week for a fill but kinda worried. Need more information on this sliming. I chew my food well and still gets stuck so I guess that is one of my reasons that I slime like this. This is so gross.

Call today and tell them you need a small unfill asap.

Thanks so much guys. So at this point I should continue getting fills and just learn with each one?

Sorry I didn't read your response before I replied. An unfill? I'm only at 3.5 can I be at the max this early for me?

If your at all uncomfortable I would get an unfil. Its not worth pain. It just might be too early for a fill. My surgeon told me one of his patients lost 100 lbs, with no fills! It was a man too!

If you're having a hard time with food and sliming allot I wouldn't get another fill now. Even at 3.5 you still sound tight. It'll loosen up eventually though.

Yes you can be too full at 3.5 cc's. They used to make bands that only held 4!

I dont understand when you say slimming. Dont you wont to slim down. Please do explain because i dont really understand.

I dont understand when you say slimming. Dont you wont to slim down. Please do explain because i dont really understand.

Slime, not slim. Sliming not slimming.

tmf

ok but i still dont know what that mean either SLIME

A few thoughts come to my mind. Are you able to get liquids down? That is the first question. If yes, the ok. If no, call NOW.

Keep your fill appointment, discuss with your surgeon what is going on. You might need a slight unfill.

You may have some swelling from the fill that keeps getting irritated with each slime episode, as food is getting stuck to cause it. Consider going on liquids for a day or two to see if things calm down, and then go to mushies, then solids. As Mis said, there is a learning curve after every fill. What you can tolerate changes each time.

If things don't calm down after a day or so of liquids, call and get a slight unfil. Some people cannot handle "larger" fills. Many of is get them at .5 or .25 intervals because we get too much swelling after a fill.

I had a slight unfill once, was able to go back a month later and have the amount removed plus some put back. So even if you need a bit removed, it does not mean you are at the max you can tolerate.

Feel better soon!!

Oh, and what you describe sounds more like possibly needing a tiny bit of the fill removed. Dilation takes a long time to develop. A slip so soon after surgery? Could happen, but the fact that your trouble started after a fill.....look for horses, not zebras.....but stay in contact with your surgeon and don't be afraid to call if you cannot get anything down, especially Water.< /p>

Even though it is a holiday weekend, call the office line, you'll get the answering service who can get to the surgeon on call.

Banded,

Slime is when you take a large bite, or don't chew and the food is struggling to go through your esophogus and pouch. You'll feel a lot of pressure around your diaphragm and some discomort. Your body secretes a thick slippery mucous to aid the food through your stomach but sometimes it backs up into your throat and it's not a bad idea to visit a sink or toilet nearby to remove it. It's disgusting and after a few episodes you may not want to go back there again.

It's not a good idea to try to swallow this stuff as it only adds more pressure on your pouch and can increase the pain. Spitting slime out relieves the pressure and the discomfot/pain that comes with it.

tmf