Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I everyone. I'm having such a hard time sticking to the post-op diet. I can and have eaten more than full liquids at this point and have had no trouble doing so. I have 2 young kids that I'm with all day and it's been so hard trying to fix them meals without having some myself. I'm only 5 days post-op!!! I need to get this! Ok, next meal is only a Protein Shake, Protein shake, protein shake, protein shake.....AAARRGGHH!!!

Hi Sara ! I have a 2 year old so I know the feeling all to well. Every time I cook for her I wanted something!! When I got to the point where I thought I wanted to try it, I have to sit and say " is this really worth it? What if it makes me sick, am I willing to deal with the consequences?" and the answer would always be no !

I know it is rough but Sara hang in there! You can do it!!

Pray about it, keep pushing it will be over Soon... You will be Glad you did

It's something you are going to have to get used to and work through for the rest of your life. Even when you get off liquids, you will always have to eat differently then the rest of the people around you.

I did well with that at first, I would fix something totally different that was good for me and my band than everyone else (because they weren't into healthy eating like I was forcing myself to be). As soon as I joined in while we were on vacation a little over a year ago and said, oh I can have this pizza, oh the brownies, ice cream, popcorn... a little became more and more and more. Put on 20lbs and stretched my pouch and tilted my band! So now I am completely unfilled for at least another 3 weeks and trying to not eat everything in sight!

So, make the committment now that you're just going to have to do things and eat things differently than everyone else. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet! Once you get in a routine, you'll get pretty good at it, you'll just have to be more focused when you're out of routine like on vacation or even out to dinner, but just stay focused, and remember your goals.

Keep at it and good luck!!!

Been there. I have 4 kids and my son in law was deploying... I got off track too. You can do this. 4 weeks seemed forever but you can make it. Your mind is messoing with you. That is harder than the gas pains. The blender will become your friend when it is Soup time.

Can you give them instant oatmeal from a packet (not the healthiest but this is'nt for ever? Or Greek yogurt (if it's good for you it's good for them.

I would try frozen things for them for now that you don't have to cook. Again this is short term so I would'nt worry about them being less than healthy foods.

As I'm sure you know you can not eat solids at this point. It can and will damage your stomach.

I don't have little ones anymore...but I do experience the same thing everyday. I made dinner for my family every day when I was on liquids and mushies. It was hard making them something yummy while I sipped my broth! I noticed that I started making them more rich foods that I would have wanted and kind of pushing all kinds of yummy things on them. I guess I was living vicariously through them...lol To which my husband liked at first...before he stepped on the scale himself. He gained 10 pounds during this phase of my cooking.

I now cook mostly Proteins for dinner and basically make things that I can eat as well. Then I don't feel so deprived. With some exceptions. For instance...I made my family spaghetti and meatballs. I made the meatballs out of lean beef and used low fat spaghetti sauce. So i enjoyed 4 oz. of meatballs while my family ate the full meal.

My favorite has become mini meat loafs in a muffin tin. I can have one of those and a deviled egg and that equals 4 oz. My family loves that I just got more creative with my dishes.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you have to push on...you can't always eat everything your little ones are eating. However you can adapt most meals to include you as well. I know this liquid stage will be brutal...but remember that it is not forever and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can't do anything about the past...but make a resolution to yourself to stick with the diet your surgeon prescribed. Eating solids or too much before your internal sutures are healed around your band could cause a tear in your stomach or may cause your little pouch to stretch. There is nothing out there that tastes good enough to put your health i jeopardy....you can do this. It will get easier when you move onto more filling foods and get fills...

If all else fails...do what I did when the hunger started to win...I would hop on here and read posts...and look at before and after pics to stay motivated.

I have 2 kids also one 9 and the other 5- I give them Snacks I know I can eat. They eat Greek yogurt with low sugar strawberry preserves. I let them have the sf Popsicles. For dinner I have been giving them the frozen Entrees cause it makes it si much easier and they are not that bad for a temp solution. It's nothing wrong with converting everyone to eating healthy in the end it would be the best decision you would have made for your family and they will be greatful!