Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband - Questions Any Suggestions Would Be Awesome

Good Morning,

I am really new to all of this. I have a lot of questions, if anyone out there can assist me with procedure. I have been thinking about this for a very long time. As I have been on just about every diet out there. My problem is the exercising which I know to do it but the problem is my work schedule. I work graveyards and I am trying to make adjustments. I know that is a poor excuse but I need figure out to get this to work for me.

I need some suggestions, if anyone can assist that would be awesome.

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill?

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc?

3. How long does the approval take?

4. How long is the procedure itself?

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient?

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder?

7. Do most insurances approve the operation?

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind?

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done.

Any suggestions would be awesome :rolleyes:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? FOR ME IT WAS ABOUT 5

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? FOR ME NO

3. How long does the approval take? DEPENDS ON YOUR INSURANCE. I WAS SELF PAY

4. How long is the procedure itself? I WENT IN ABOUT 10 AND I WAS GOING HOME BY 2.

SURGERY TAKES ABOUT 40 MIN

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? MOSTLY OUT PATIENT

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder? IF YOU HAVE ONE YOUR DOC HAS IT IN THE FILES

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? MOST? SOME YES

e operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind?

YOU HAVE TO EAT SLOW, CHEW YOUR food. STOP ALL SODA. GET RID OF bread AND ALL WHITE FLOUR ITEMS. SAY BYE BYE TO YOUR Cookies, CAKES, PIES. JUNK JUNK JUNK... YOU H AVE TO DRINK ABOUT 6-8 GLASSES A DAY. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF Protein PER DAY..I WATCH MY CARBS. YOU DO NOT DRINK WHEN U EAT. THE RECOMEND THAT YOU EXERCISE AND WALK. I DO 2 shakes A DAY.

DOES YOUR INSURANCE OFFER BARIATRIC COVERAGE?

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your fast reply.

I do have a question - What kind of shakes? Do they give shakes? The amount you paid does it include your future visits? just curious. Or does it include one visit or just does depend on the state you live in?

when you got the procedure done? did you have a lot of energy afterwards? I am trying gather a lot of information. I appreciate all the information you have given me. It helps because I am so ready and tired of the yo-yo diets not doing anything.

I have tried all my options this is my last resort. Might be the best thing for me.

the problem is not doing exercising when I am supposed to exercise because I work graveyards and need to sleep. I am trying to get the best suggestions of how I can do this and get this procedure done. and sticking with the exercising.

Does anyone know in if there is a lapband walk group in Phoenix? I think support groups are good if no one has started one already.

I would suggest taking at least a few days off of work. Most people generally need a week to recuperate. The number of fills all depends on the person; each person is different. I think also it depends on your doctor if you are outpatient or have to stay over a night. I was self pay, so I didn't have to worry about insurance. There are a lot of posts about insurance and waiting and what one has to do. Do a search and you may find someone with your insurance who can help you better. The way of eating you're to follow is Protein, veg then carbs, and no more than half to one cup per meal (depends on your doctor; also if you should have Snacks or not). I think the above poster means protein shakes; often your insurance/doctor will make you do a pre-op liquid diet beforehand (maybe check with your insurance to see; some people have to do a 6 month supervised diet I've read). Hope this helps!

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? I have had 4, it has been over a year since my last fill. My brother has never had a fill (but in my opinion needs one. He as lost 80 pounds with no fill in his band but he has started to put some back on.

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? Never had this problem.

3. How long does the approval take? took 2 weeks for me.

4. How long is the procedure itself? I was in surgery for 45 minutes and they also repaired a hyatial (spelling) hernia in that time.

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? Mine was inpatient

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder? Sleep study

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? no idea, mine did

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind? I drank 2 Protein shakes - total.

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done. I'd say you need 1 week off.

Any suggestions would be awesome :rolleyes: Good luck! do your homework and make and educated decision. (sounds like you are)

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? As many times as it takes to reach the Green Zone, everyone is different

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? I don't

3. How long does the approval take? Mine was almost immediate, less than 2 weeks. It depends on your insurace

4. How long is the procedure itself? I was in surgery about an hour

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? Mine was in-patient one night

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder?I didn't

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? It varies, you should check with yours to be sure

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind? I did for the first 6 weeks after surgery. 2 weeks Clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks mushies and 1 week soft foods

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done. No way. You will want about a week if it's a desk/non active job. If you have a labor job, like a factory, you'll need longer.

Good Morning,

I am really new to all of this. I have a lot of questions, if anyone out there can assist me with procedure. I have been thinking about this for a very long time. As I have been on just about every diet out there. My problem is the exercising which I know to do it but the problem is my work schedule. I work graveyards and I am trying to make adjustments. I know that is a poor excuse but I need figure out to get this to work for me.

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? I have only had 1...think I will need 1 more

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? nope

3. How long does the approval take? Took about a month to do the requirements like, seeing the nutrionist and psychologist, blood work ect. then approved by insurance 1 week after submitting paper work

4. How long is the procedure itself? was supossed to be 1 hour mone was 3 because he repaired two hernias and removed a lot of addhessions

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? In patient about 36 hrs

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder? I had one....but its not the only co-morbidity that will help you get approved...bllod pressure, diabetic, PCOS etc.

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? hmmmm.not sure of the actual satistics

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind? I sure did....3 week liquid, 1 week puree, 1 week mushie...then real food

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done. I surely could not have, but like I said mine was much more involved...took me a good 3 weeks to feel good again. I would have wanted at least 2 weeks off.

Just read and educate yourself....back sure you can commit to the band life style.

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill?

I got my first fill about a month out. I got fills about every 3 weeks. It took me about 6 months to get restriction. I wish my doctor had said how long it would take Not that I would'nt have gotten surgery; I just was frustrated that it was taking so long.

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc?

No. Knock on wood I have never vomitted or PB's since surgery almost two years .

3. How long does the approval take?

Approval took less than 2 weeks.

4. How long is the procedure itself?

Procedure is about 1 1/2 hours.

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient?

My doctor does "inpatient". I put quotes because my surgery was late afternoon and I left before noon the next day so not even 24 hours.

6. Do you have to prove sleeping disorder?

No. But I had a BMI of 57, high cholesterol.

7. Do most insurances approve the operation?

This really depends on your employers insurance. Call them and ask.

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind?

Immediatley post op I had a stricked diet. First 7 days Clear Liquids AND

Protein shakes, next 7 full liquids (tomato soup) and Protein Shakes, next seven soft mushies (cottage/ricotta) and Soup (like tomato), next 7 firmer mushies (shredded chicken or tuna) and soup; then finally solids. Once healed my doctor just wants me to eat healthy foods. Low fat/cal solids Protein, low fat/cal veggies.

I personally eat crackers/chips mindlessly so I just don't keep them in my house. I also don't buy candy, cake, Desserts of any kind because I live alone and I would be the only one eating it.

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done.

Including weekends I was out for 11 days.

I would try to buy my own Protein Shakes instead of getting them at the doctors office they are always more expensive. For powder shoot for less than 120 cals, at least 20 g of protein, less than 4 g of carbs. My doctor wants whey isolate which is a higher quality off protein. PreMade shakes I like Premier branch available at Sams and costco.

FYI the band is not meant to stop you from eating unhealthy foods. It will NEVER do that. Some people write " I wish my band was tight enough to stop me from eating X, Y or Z. Well that's not the plan. I needed to create a new lifestyle where I don't eat bread because it is high in cals. for limited nutrition.

I personally don't think having a 6 month weight loss period is bad for you (many insurances require it). This gives you time to create a new relationship with food before the band is even inserted.

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? I've had 6 fills and 2 unfills, at 5.5cc in 10cc band and at my green zone. I've got another appt on 6/13 for a fill but I'll probably cancel it

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? I never had any

3. How long does the approval take? for me, it took about a week, BCBS IL - BUT I had to do 6 months of docs visits before they could submit me for approval. I'm glad it was required because I was 200% ready and had done ALOT of research

4. How long is the procedure itself? took about 45 minutes and they repaired a hiatal hernia

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? outpatient

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder? I didnt

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? It totally depends on what your employer elects to cover

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind? yes, you'll go through phases of clear liquids, full liquids, mushy foods and then work your way into solids. I mainly follow a low carb high Protein diet

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done. I would wait at least a week, if you sit at a desk, anything else at least two weeks. You need rest to heal properly and even though its non invasive, surgery takes alot out of you

Any suggestions would be awesome - Do your research. I have NO REGRETS!!

I had my band placed on a Thursday and was back to work on Monday. It is an out-patient procedure in most cases. Your insurance question will need to be addressed directly with your insurance. Ask if your employer has added bariatric benefits to the plan. Also, ask them what exact criteria is needed to approve the procedure.

Mine I did not need prior auth at all, I do drink Protein Shakes for Breakfast (The premier brand from Costco...30 gr Protein, 1 gr sugar) since my band is tighter in the mornings.

I have 9.25 cc in a 14 cc band and at a great place. I can eat about 1/2 cup of food and I am full. For me, when I have a fill, I cannot tell a difference for almost 3 weeks. That is just how my body reacts to the band. Everyone is different and so its hard to say how you will react and how many fills you will need. Just be patient, it does not happen overnight. You will be on clear liquids for a couple weeks after surgery, then to full liquids, then to mushies, then to regular food. Follow your doctors orders.

I dont regret my band AT ALL!!!

Good Morning,

My questions are:

1. How many times do you have to get a fill? It is different for everyone, some people have several fills, a very few acutally have no fills and have restriction with the band alone. There won't be a definitive answer to that. Some people get a fill at surgery, my doc will not do it until 4 weeks out.

2. Does anyone get side effects like Nausea etc? I had nausea right after surgery and gas pains, but I dont think it is a common thing in general. You should feel just fine after the recovery phase, except when you over eat or eat foods that are not compatible with the band like soft breads and tougher cuts of meat. You can get stuck and may vomit.

3. How long does the approval take? Cant answer this one- I was self-pay

4. How long is the procedure itself? I was in the OR about 1 hr and in recovery another 2 hrs.

5. Is this outpatient procedure? Or in patient? I think it may depend on the insurance. For me being self-pay, I went home that afternoon and did fine.

6. Do you have to prove you have sleep disorder? I think if you have a lower BMI, like under 40, some insurances may need you to prove that you have an obesity related condition and sleep apnea would be one of these- others may be hight blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

7. Do most insurances approve the operation? My ins did not cover at all (BCBS of TN)- you will have to call them and ask them.

8. once the operation is done - do you have follow a strict diet? Like shakes? if so what kind? Yes, and the diets vary from surgeon to surgeon. The shakes at very high in Protein. I have to eat 60-80 gm of Protein per day and under 25-50 net carbs (total carbs minus grams of fiber) daily. But as you read on here you will find everyone's diet is very different. All of them will at least agree that high protein is important.

9. Can you go back to work the next day or in my case Nights? once the procedure is done. I have a desk job and I had surgery on a Monday and went back to work on a Thursday and I did ok. Depends on your job.