Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wheres My June Bandsters??

Oh man! It's currently 5:50pm here in Texas' date=' and I've been home since around 3:00. My surgery went A-ok! I'm going to post more about my experience on my blog later tonight.

Right now, I'm feeling super exhausted. I haven't been awake much since I came out of OR. For this being my first surgery ever, it went really well. I have a TON of gas pain, though, and more pain around my port than anywhere else. I have meds for the pain, but they don't work too much on the gas. I just have to walk that off!

I'm not really nauseous, just really sleepy. I can SIP Water relatively well. I feel like I should be sipping more than I am, though. The only major discomfort is this gas pain. The nurse at the hospital told me GasX won't help. Has anyone else had any luck with it?

Congrats to all the ladies and/or gentlemen who were banded today! Yay, we did it!!!!

Follow me on My LapBand Adventure! www.uiwleelee.blogspot.com[/quote']

Oh wow that's great I'm in the morning glad to hear your great 7am is my turn

I was banded June 13, and only had one day of a full liquid diet! Honestly I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing, because getting use to this post op 2 week liquid diet is very difficult. Everytime I smell something cooking I want to attack it. But I just continue to gulp my juice and Water. :-/ I get these noises comming from inside, I can't even tell if its my stomach or my intestines trying to suck all the nutrition out of the little bit of juice/soup it gets. Ugh I can't wait till I am on to mushy foods. On day 3, so I have 11 more days of this. :wacko:

Scheduled for yesterday 6/15:

Bummer: Things didn't go as planned nor as remotely expected for getting Banded yesterday. My hubby and I showed up at Surgical Center early (we commuted in); they checked me in, met with the various RN's and then the Anesthesiologist met with me - Anesthesiologist was all 'really to roll' and tapping her fingers. I was in the gown, booties, surgical underwear and hair bonnet. All systems were a go, but ended up being there for many hours without explanation as to why my Surgeon hadn't arrived although his personal assistant, MD, was on time and had gone through procedure as well as history, etc. I may never know the real truth as to why I ended up falling through the cracks. I can handle honesty and logic, but I felt something wasn't being disclosed (again, where was the doc surgeon all that time since he was not in the building or in geographic area). Why not just say it like it was -- i.e. Just say you were detained, overbooked or at another center doing surgery, in a car accident? - something. In any event, the only sense I can make of it is that it was either a scheduling situation due to doctor being late by 1:45-2 hours (which then backed up other types of surgeries - although I didn't see a que). So long story short, they canceled the procedure based on the fact no one had read or received my pre-op Blood Labs from over 2 weeks ago? Isn't that what the pre-op is all about? Apparently in the lab report from 2 weeks ago, my WBC was slightly elevated, so today they took blood and sent out to a lab, but then said it would take 4 hours to confirm if my WBC was still elevated. Tonight I hear that the labs taken today ended up being normal? Naturally, if something's not meant to be is should take the course and I'd flow along with the flow as things "sometimes happen for a reason." Of course, the burning question is how did this get missed if that really was the reason for the delay and eventual cancellation. My faith and trust in being tested. I'm such an optimistic person and was very prepared and had diligently followed the pre-op diet to perfection, but I'm now questioning if I need to rethink the docs, the center and even now wondering if I need the Band (I lost 30 lbs just on pre-op diet alone the past 2 weeks)? Can I Iose more on my own without the band...I don't know. It's late and I usually write better than this, but has anyone else had a similar experience?

Treehouse, that's terrible! At a minimum they should have told you WHY they were late, not blamed it on your WBC count. They would have known that the day they received the results. What are you going to do? If they were honest I think I'd be more understanding. Life happens, people get held up sometimes. But I'd be a bit more skepticle if I found out they were playing games!

Indy, thanks so much for making that list. What a great idea!

Hi all

I was banded June 1st I am now on soft food.. but I am so hungry and I lost nothing since a week... anyone

having the same issue?!!!

Mariaband, I'm still preop but my paperwork says not to expect any weighloss until the first fill (even though we get a fill during surgery). The post-op diet is about allowing your body to heal and not about losing weight. Your body is swollen and injured which means it is also likely to retain fluids.

Good luck! I'm sure it will happen soon :)

Tree, I am SO sorry things worked out that way. How disappointing and confusing. Being in healthcare, I have a few thoughts.

1) you need to call your doctor first thing Monday morning and have a discussion about what exactly happened and why he wasn't present for your scheduled procedure.

2) is this a stand alone surgery center or is it within a hospital? If it's part of a hospital, there is absolutely no reason to send out a CBC (part of which is a WBC count). They should have that back in 30 min max. If it is a send out, and they knew they wanted it, why not have you show up earlier for the blood draw.

3) Anesthesiologists usually aren't willing to go to the OR unless they are satisfied with lab results. So this tells me that your WBC originally must have been known to them. If they didnt have your results, why prep you?

Things happen in healthcare and things are missed, unfortunately. We are all human. However, before you make any decisions about switching, not doing the band, etc., you MUST have a discussion with your MD. I'd also request a copy of your medical records.

OK, I'm starting my pre-op diet today! My house is fully stocked with Protein Powder (most of which I've already tested and like), sf Jello, sf Popsicles, sf lemon ice and several flavors of Crystal Light mix. I'm ready. I keep telling myself "I can do this, I WILL do this!"

I'm so sorry to hear that TreehouseLady!! In my opinion, I think they were probably right about your previous lab work, but something happened to where there wasn't a good communication and no one knew what happened. Have you scheduled your next surgery day yet?

I would say not to give up on the band. You lost a significant amount of weight on the pre-op diet, but I bet it was pretty difficult sticking to that hard regime. Imagine doing that long term. I honestly believe it is a short-term diet, and could potentially be harmful both mentally and physically if done for a long time. Especially if you loved to eat prior to the surgery.

I really want you to stay optimistic. Your delay sounds like a huge mistake made on your medical team's end, and I'm so sorry about that. But you came this far already, and it's just another road block you need to overcome. I hope that if you decide the continue to pursue the band, then please hold out for a little bit longer. :)

Oh, TreehouseLady, that's gotta be rough! Keep your chin up, we're all in this together! :)

Well, had surgery yesterday morning. Surgery went well. Not such a good time coming out of anethesia:( Went and got prescriptions with the hubster on the way home and was walking around pretty good. Most pain was up in my chest from gas. Also grabbed some lip balm, lips are really dry after surgery! Came home and was getting around pretty good. Forgot to take pain medicine before bed, and woke up at 4am pretty sore. Today has been worse as far as soreness. Chest pains have calmed down, now it is just my stomach that hurts. Trying to get liquid down as much as possible. Sending the hubster out for some Won Ton Soup, minus the won tons, lol. Makes me feel like I am "eating" a meal even though I am not! I am a mom of 3 who is always on the go, so the worst part is all this sitting around! Just hanging out in the forums and doing a little online shopping. Hope all of you are doing well and getting excited if you you are waiting on surgery day. I keep telling myself every day will get easier and easier........

:)

Thank you Indyhandmade, AlleyKat, Uiwleelee and ChattyMommy30 for your words of wisdom, support and encouragement after yesterday's fiasco! Big hugs to you :)

Hi Everyone! It was nice to come out of surgery on Thursday and see the list of all the June Bandsters! That was encouraging! I was just in so much pain that I couldn't fully look at the forums or even reply on my phone. If I had energy I've used it for walking, and this is this the first time I've even opened my laptop in 3 days. Just taking it day by day with this gas pain!

June 4th baby!! Trying to figure out how to get off of liquid and introduce mushed an semi-solids!

I just started mushies too I started w a little cottage cheese and seen how I did w that. Seemed to do fine. I've also tried a few low fat saltines and did fine with those. Just take it slow.