Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problem With Protein Shakes

I just had my second shake of the barriatric advantage which I also had to buy and I am so nauseous I will have to go to the store first thing in the morning to find something else or I won't make it.

I have not heard of that particular brand before. It really should not matter what brand Protein powder or shake you are using as long as it meets all of the nutritional requirements recommended by your surgeon. The higher the Protein grams with every shake, and the lower the grams of carbs, the better it is.

Sounds to me that they just want to get some extra money from their patients...Also very important is to be certain that the shake has "100% whey isolate protein", as this is the best type for bariatric patients.

My surgeon also sells unjury brand in his office, but we are not required to purchase it there. From Day 1 of my liquid diet, I have been using "Wheybolic Extreme 60" Protein Powder from GNC. It has 30 g of protein with every 1.5 scoops of powder, so every shake has 37 g of protein if you also include the 7g protein from the skim milk. The goal is to get as much protein per shake as possible. I actually like both the Cookies 'n cream and chocolate flavors, and have been using the entire time.

You may have to try several different brands before you fine 1 or 2 that you like...Be certain to read the nutrition label on the powder your doctor sells, and try to make certain that your substitute powder meets the same level of nutrition.

Good luck...keep searching, you will find something better suited to your tastes.

Sojourner you are such a wealth of knowledge, I love it, thanks!!!

Hey Sombra - If you happen to have the "Iced Latte" flavor, I have learned this trick: Take a Decaf Starbucks "Via", mix with 8 oz Water, truvia, and some ice. Then put in the scoops of the shake powder. It does *not* qualify as delicious, but it's decent.

So far, all other flavors are still really, really, *really* bad.

Sojourner you are such a wealth of knowledge, I love it, thanks!!!

You are most welcome...I'm very happy to share what my trial and error experience has taught me! :)

he probably makes extra money from the company. did you already buy a bunch of them? perhaps you can tell him how horrible they taste and try a new brand.

I love Jay Robb Protein powder, high in protein very low in carbs, great flavors!

I will definitely try that!! Thanks :)

Trust me Unjury is delicious. I throw some chia seeds in it to fill me up

I went to a local health food shop yesterday and picked up several single serving packets so I could try different flavors/brands. Last night I tried nectar and it's delicious! It comes in about a dozen flavors, sugar free and delicious. They mix so well. I tried chocolate truffle flavor last night and was great. 26g of Protein per 16oz. after mixing, but I put the whole packet in 8oz and it still blended great.

Can't wait to try everything else I picked up. Will let you know what I discover. :)

I have a problem drinking man made stuff too, but it is what we have to do for awhile. As far as bariatrics advantage, supposedly they are chemically formulated for bariatrics patients, but they are costly and I'm not sure why they ad making you purchase from them. It is like anything else, there are cheaper options out there. It is all about personal taste. For me, I still like GNC total lean the best. Many people like Unjury, but I don't. I have high blood pressure and becaue I eat little salt, it is too salty for me. The chocolate tastes bad to me too, but many people love them. I think it is important to taste around, but you have to follow docs order too. Makes it hard. Good luck to you.

There is nothing special about any particular product' date=' that's just your doctor pushing something he has a vested interest in. Buy elsewhere if you don't like them.

I hate Protein shakes and never drank more than two or three. They're disgusting and man made and not a patch on real food in my humble opinion. They're not a part of my diet ever. And I lost weight just fine, have kept it off for five years and am not suffering from lack of muscle, hair loss or Protein deficiency.[/quote']

Nice to hear from a long time person. I hate te man made stuff, can't wait to get off it

So I was wondering...do we have to do the Protein Shakes always? When I am restricted will I be able to get my Protein without the shakes? I don't think I can handle more than a few months of them. I have tried four different kinds now and I loathe all of them. I just hold my breath and try to get them down.

my clinic also tried to persuade me to buy their vitamons, Proteins, bullets...from their new (store). it all is so expensive. hub got me some extreme whey Protein in Cookies and creme from walmart.........i mix it and put in one scoop and put in freezer and then get it out in slushy stage. very good.

So I was wondering...do we have to do the Protein shakes always? When I am restricted will I be able to get my Protein without the shakes? I don't think I can handle more than a few months of them. I have tried four different kinds now and I loathe all of them. I just hold my breath and try to get them down.

You don't have to use them forever. Just until you heal and more or less whenever you get a fill (just for a couple of days post-fill, I believe).

I am being banded on May 30 and also have the Bariactric Advantage shakes. I agree they are not the best but what I have found is that if you blend it with ice, Water, and some fruit it does taste much better, at least for me. My doctor gave me a list of some different recipes that are the way I just described. I decided to just suck it up since I bought two bags of the stuff. I have almost finished day four of pre op liquid diet and has been up and down. Seems to be getting better, and certainly hope it continues to. Good Luck to all.