Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am searching for any person(s) have been very successful at losing weight with there bands to let me in on the best things to eat. I realize that the band is only a tool so therefor I need to be completely educated on good things that work for me to make this transition work. I want to not just lose this weight but be able to maintain it forever. I want to get to my goal weight and stay there. I really just would like your thoughts or feed back of what is the best way to get the most Protein in a days time without the calories, the best liquids to drink, the best veggies to eat that won't get stuck, fun foods, Vitamins, even exercise that will tone you and not mess with your port. I know that everyone's body is different and bands are different but I need to start somewhere. I absolutely do not want to lose my hair. I am extremely scared regarding that. Any info at all would be great. Thanks Beck :)

I could write a book in response to your post. Wait a minute, I did write a book! But to give you a few quick answers...

The best foods to eat: solid food. Liquids, soft foods, and "sliders" (like thin crackers, chips, etc.) give virtually no satiety, plus they can be very high in calories, fat, and sodium.

The best protein: SOLID Protein cooked with a moist method (easier to eat without problems).

The best veggies to eat that won't get stuck: impossible to list, because it varies so drastically depending on your restriction and on how you prepare them. According to Allergan, common problem foods include very fibrous veggies (like asparagus, celery, cabbage, corn, popcorn) and fruits (avoid citrus membranes, fruit skins & peels). I think there's a list of them on lapband.com.

The best exercise: anything you enjoy and will do on a consistent basis.

hair loss is unpredictable. I've always had thin hair but didn't lose any and actually it seems thicker and healthier than ever before (better nutrition and Water intake. Hair loss can be related to anesthesia and to inadequate Protein intake.

Jean, what book did you write? I'm on a mobile device using the app, so I can't look at your profile if it's there...

"Bandwagon" and also an accompanying book. If you go to her website http://jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com/ you will see the books for sale on the left hand side.

Jean, what book did you write? I'm on a mobile device using the app, so I can't look at your profile if it's there...

"Bandwagon" and also an accompanying book. If you go to her website http://jean-ontheban...n.blogspot.com/ you will see the books for sale on the left hand side.

You can also order by clicking on one of my Bandwagon ads here on LBT. The 2 books are Bandwagon (which I call the giant encyclopedia of adjustable gastric band advice) and Bandwagon Cookery (a cookbook - recipes w/ nutritional data, and a lot of info about meal planning & preparation to suit bandsters' needs).

jean, why did you get your band removed??

jean, why did you get your band removed??

It's a long story, but the short version is that I learned that I have a congenital condition of the esophagus called achalasia that my band was aggravating. In achalasia, the esophagus can't move food down into the stomach and the tissues at the juncture of the esophagus and stomach are thickened, causing a stricture. Left untreated, eventually the esophagus doesn't work at all and the patient can't eat at all. I'll be having some tests to evaluate how severe my achalasia is and hopefully get the stricture dilated (via upper endoscopy) enough that I can go ahead and do a sleeve revision later this year.

I hate, hate, hate losing my band, but I'm trying to make the best of the circumstances.

I don't want everybody freaking out that the same thing might happen to them. Esophageal problems were listed as a possible complication of band surgery when I signed the release for my surgery in 2007, but my surgeon insists that my band did not cause the achalasia. My brother also has esophageal problems so it seems to run in our family.