Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Several folks have asked me about Cushing's, so here is some basic information about it. I've been diagnosed for just over a month now, and I'm still learning about it. The following is information that I've cut and pasted, so the links will take you to the source I pulled them from. Something like 90% of Cushings is caused by a tumor on the pituitary gland in the brain, with something like 8% caused by tumors on the adreanal glands (near the kidneys), the final 2% is caused by a tumor somewhere else, such as the lungs, or it is caused from being on long term steoroids, such as Prednisone.

Right now, the fatigue is opressive.

Cushing's Syndrom http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/endo...s/cushings.htm

Cushing's syndrome is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure of the body's tissues to high levels of the hormone cortisol. Sometimes called "hypercortisolism," it is relatively rare and most commonly affects adults aged 20 to 50. An estimated 10 to 15 of every million people are affected each year.

... Treatment depends on the specific reason for cortisol excess and may include surgery, radiation, chemotherapy or the use of cortisol-inhibiting drugs. If the cause is long-term use of glucocorticoid hormones to treat another disorder, the doctor will gradually reduce the dosage to the lowest dose adequate for control of that disorder. Once control is established, the daily dose of glucocorticoid hormones may be doubled and given on alternate days to lessen side effects.

(this site has some good information, I especially like the symptom list. My DH was quite shocked when he realized that out of something like 43 symptions, I have 33 of the indicators.:faint:)

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/c/cushings_syndrome/intro.htm

Vines Im so sorry if this is what is going on with your weight loss? maybe now you will get some answer. best of luck to you! your friend JOHNQ

Vines,

How was your diagnosis detected? Did they do blood work or run thyroid tests??

Kelli

Thanks for sharing that info vinesqueen. I can't imagine how you feel, but I'm sure your in the best of care. Learn as much as you can and ask lots of questions when you see the docs. Of course, you already know this....I'll keep quiet. :kiss Keep your chin up and try to post as often as you can. :hug: You are a very special person and have a lot to offer here and there is so much we can all learn from you.

I am so glad you finally have a diagnosis - as happy as you can be being diagnosed with something like this. I just know all the frustration you have been through, all the wondering if it was you and why the band wasnt working for you. You have an answer now and the relief to know that must be immense. You are such a strong person to keep going like you have. I know I would have given up long ago.

Good Luck Vines - you deserve it.

Hugs

VQ looks like you are on top of things. I wanted to share some websites with you that you might find helpful. I am sure they will just reiterate what you already know. But any info can be helpful. M

http://csrf.net/index.htm

This is a Cushing's Support and Research Foundation that has some wonderful info and BEFORE and AFTER PHOTOS of folks that have been treated. It will knock you over with a feather to see the changes in these folks.

www.pituitary.org.uk

This is a uk organization but in has good info in the patient leaflet. Do a search for Cushings and it will come up.

www.merck.com

This is the Holy Grail book for healthcare professional students. Section 2 Chapter 7 deals with Pituitary Disorders.

www.Endocrineweb.com

Has a section of Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy. Limited but useful.

Hope this is somewhat useful. M

Wow, those pictures are something else!

Hang in there Vines! Looks like there's hope! :confused:

Glad you gave us something to read. I was one of those that needed this info.

Getting this properly treated means that you should lose weight on you own?

Hi Vine,

I have a close friend that had Cushings. She had a tumor in the pituitary gland. They surgically removed it and the first surgeons could not get all of it, so she had a second surgery. She is doing well now. I am sorry that this has happened to such a nice person like you.

Hugs,

Babs in TX

thanks everyone. I admit to that part of me is releaved to finally have an answer, but I'm terrified by that answer. I don't know if this is the answer. I'm terrified if I have it, and yet I'm terrified if I don't have it.

I can't find the energy to be supportive for hardly anyone here. I'm scared, freaked out and I don't know what else.

Wow vines, thanks for this info. I've never known anyone with Cushing's and it's great to have more information on the subject. I hope that once you've had your blood work and find some sort of way to monitor/control it that you'll start losing weight again. *hugs*

Big Hugs. That's all I can offer. I hope you get the final word, soon.

Keep Dancing, Vines.

We all love you.