Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banders- Are You Hungry?

I've been pretty dead set on the vsg, because it removes the portion of the stomach that controls grehlin, and that is supposed to supress hunger. i"m not fully understanding how the lap band reduces hunger if it's not getting rid of the grehlin.

I am also not seeing how you dont feel hungry when you eat only a tiny bit when the foodyou eat is still going into the larger portion of your stomach.

forgive my ignorance, I'm really trying to learn what is best idea for me.

also- where is the best place to read about how people eat after getting the band?

I've been pretty dead set on the vsg, because it removes the portion of the stomach that controls grehlin, and that is supposed to supress hunger. i"m not fully understanding how the lap band reduces hunger if it's not getting rid of the grehlin.

I am also not seeing how you dont feel hungry when you eat only a tiny bit when the foodyou eat is still going into the larger portion of your stomach.

forgive my ignorance, I'm really trying to learn what is best idea for me.

also- where is the best place to read about how people eat after getting the band?

The band is only a tool to assist with managing your appetite and to help control portions. The band works by providing restriction to the stomach and creates a small pouch which fills when small meals are eaten. The pouch will eventually empty into the rest of the digestive tract. While full, the hunger is controlled. After being banded, your surgeon usually will periodically adjust the the amount of restriction (amount the band is filled with saline) to increase the restriction, and thereby increase the length of time for your meal to be digested.

Someone with a band does get hungry, but the pouch limits how much you are able to eat, therefore the Portion Control helps to loose weight. The diet consists of lean healthy Proteins and Fiber carbs, and each meal is measured by volume not weight. Patients are encouraged to make healthy food choices, and avoid any added sugars or over processed foods. Patients are also encouraged to exercise, and generally modify their lifestyles to healthier practices.

What helps me control my hunger is to continue to drink necessary fluids between meals to stay properly hydrated.

There are restrictions on the kinds of food you should have, but most people find they can eat most anything, just in greatly reduced amounts. The goal is to make better choices and avoid the type of foods which contributed to your weight issues.

This forum has many members who are informative and knowledgeable. Best way to learn is to ask questions!

I totaly agree. If your looking for a quick fix the band is not it for you...The band allows you to live life style based on health.......I think that when most people go wrong. They want a quick fix so they don't have to put in the work.I personally think that when you put in the work you will appreciate it more.. To loose quick means that you have not gained the tools needed to keep it off. The lap band is designed to program you body AND your mind.

To further explain how the band controls your eating-

Imagine the stomach is like a plastic bottle. To get to the top of the bottle, you must fill the entire bottle. With the band, a small pouch is made near the top of the bottle, which allows the top portion to fill without actually consuming enough to fill the entire bottle. The hunger "sensors" are located at the top of the stomach and so the band allows a reduction in the amount you eat, but it makes the sensors believe you're "full." With adjustments of saline, the band is made to satiate real hunger (not head hunger) for 4-5 hours.

Another thing to look into is that I've heard in VSG or gastric that the stomach can regrow the sensors that are cut out. I'm not sure how common that is though.

That was a great analogy, thank you!!

I don't think any weight loss surgery is a quick fix. *shakes head.*. In fact, I've had to repeat that several times over the last few weeks.

You still drink lots of Water, exercise etc surgery just makes it a lot harder to poke a bunch of unhealthy food into my mouth. That's a big help! On every diet I've ever done I've just felt so empty and hungry that I finally just stuffed myself, felt like a failure and gave up. I would love to be forced to eat slower and take my time and feel hunger.

Is lap band permanent? Or can it be, I mean? Im worried about having to take it out some day. Of course by Then there may be an even better method out there.

Ty for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

I meant take my time and feel satisfaction. ^^

Some fortunate banders are left with very little to no hunger. I am one of those. I have been banded 18 months and have experienced actual hunger maybe a dozen time since then. I don't know for sure, but I think it has somthing to do with how the band is placed, and what your fill level is. Because of this, I was able to lose my excess weight pretty quickly. I think you are doing the right thing by researching both sides. Me personally......I love my band, you couldn't pay me to take it out :) Good luck to you!

yes im hungry

I am at restriction, which means I eat 3 oz of solid Protein, and some veggies and fruit and am not hungry until 5 hours later. From lunch until dinner (I exercise between the two) it is often 6+ hours. I do get hungry. That's a long time between meals (I do not have Snacks, though on occation I have a low cal Protein shake before the workout. Depends on whether I will be so hungry during my workout that I know I will end up having a bad work out. ).

While I def. eat less food than pre op; I don't eat tiny amounts. I see people on this site who think they will eat 1-2 bites per meal. That is unrealistic. You are an adult and need to eat adult portions (THIN adult portions).

It took me 6 months of fills to get restriction. So to start this is a will power diet. Now that I'm at restriction I don't get that hungry feeling that I used to get every 2 hours; like i did on previous diets.

Also the band will NEVER EVER stop you from eating foods like ice cream, candy, cake. If something melts in your mouth it will go down just as easy as Water. You have to choose good foods. Do I on very rare occation of a piece of birthday cake? Sure. But it's at a party and I don't buy cake for myself; and eat the whole thing.

I am one of the lucky ones that rarely experiences true physical hunger. I also only have a very small fill in my band as it is all I can physically tolerate (stuck issues with higher fill level). Because of that lower fill, I also dont feel a huge sense of fullness when I eat, so I constantly have to police myself. Most of the time I am pretty good at this. I do drink quite a bit during the day too, Water, crystal light, lemonade, etc. And my Protein level is on the high side so I am sure that helps with hunger.

I do experience issues with head hunger but that has nothing to do with my band itself and has more to do with my brain and my reaction to stress.

I was banded in 2010 and the most fill I had was 4.5cc. I did experience hunger. I. February of this year I had to have my gallbladder removed and made sure the same Dr. Who banded me did my latest survey. While he was in there he did what they call a plication and or embrication. This is where they fold the stomach in on itself, and basically takes away the stretchability of your stomach. I hardly ever get hungry now, which keeps me from satin.g when I should, because I have no desire to eat. And if we don't eat we gain. So now I pretty much force myself to eat.

Interesting to read all the replies and sharings. Its funny that I simply dont feel full on small amounts although I dont think I could take more tightening as Id just vomit everything but liquid and thats not a life. I Do get we have to choose what to eat etc For sure I get I can be slack re that But this question I have isnt about that . Its about simply never feeling that fullness on small amounts like they advertise the band creates. Maybe as some say, some are luckier than others with how well this aspect works. I lost about 20 kilos in first 6 months and that was it. since then I go up and down about 5 kilos depneding on whther Im naughty with choices or not. other than that nothing has changed. Its just rather frustrating id just like to feel full . Maybe the chemicals in my stiomach that tells my brain Im full simply dont work. : :unsure: anyway im getting alot ..from reading the replies so thank you. Love from Down under xx

I don't recall seeing band adverts here in Aus. I certainly don't recall any that state the band creates a feeling of fullness on small amounts of food. If you are looking to feel full the way you did preband then it is not going to happen. "Fullness" post band is a lot different. If you eat too much instead of feeling full you are more likely to feel pain or discomfort and generally it is felt in the chest area not the stomach.

But if you eat the types of food that you should be eating then you should be satisfied(which is a far different feeling to full) for quite a long period afterwards.

A lot of this process involves learning how to recognise your bodies new signals that you have eaten enough and knowing when to stop.

I meant take my time and feel satisfaction. ^^

You could also look into the iband - band with plication. Your stomach is folded in- search plication on here. There is quite a few people doing it. I'm scheduled for it May 18.

I'm haveing problem with hunger. I'm 5 weeks in post surgery with no fill and am not losing but not gaining either. Started riding bike everyday about mile and half and eating 1400 cals day. Will I ever lose after my first fill. Thanks frustrated