Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Donna, I took that ridiculous test too! I am pretty sure just about everyone with common sense passes it. It does ask if you ever tried to commit suicide like times in different questions. I found that a little shocking. But whatever! Its easy, I was not terrified at the meeting with him, he was odd like most of them :D You will do fine! :)

Buffalogyrl - me too! The treat was short but the appointment took forevrrpages and pages of questions and the report he wrote was totally "canned". Plus I thought he was rude!!

What people fail to recognize this fat surgery industry is a multi million dollar industry, so most doc aren't going to say no unless u r truly mentally I'll or have significant cognitive deficits. I figured out in life that you have to play the game one times as ridiculous as it is. For example I had to have chest x ray for my pre op prep, I asked why I have no health conditions or indications of pulmonary dysfunction, in fact I haven complimented by my Dr. For my strong lung capacity,( in a swimmer). The only explanation I got was well everybody has to have one? Really can we say waste of $ and time... Hence the welcome to the corporate cash cow of the fat industry.

What people fail to recognize this fat surgery industry is a multi million dollar industry' date=' so most doc aren't going to say no unless u r truly mentally I'll or have significant cognitive deficits. I figured out in life that you have to play the game some times as ridiculous as it is. For example I had to have a chest x ray for my pre op prep, I asked why I have to since i have no health conditions or indications of pulmonary dysfunction, in fact I haven been complimented by my Dr. For my strong lung capacity,( i m a swimmer). The only explanation I got was well everybody has to have one? Really can we say waste of $ and time... Hence the welcome to the corporate cash cow of the fat industry.[/quote']

I too had to do a psych eval, it was two sessions and I had to complete a risk assesment for depression (it was only one page). The only issue I had with the psych eval was that my first session was 45 min ($50 copay), second visit, 15 min ($50 copay) and she is also charging me $50 for the report. :blink:

I too had to do a psych eval, it was two sessions and I had to complete a risk assesment for depression (it was only one page). The only issue I had with the psych eval was that my first session was 45 min ($50 copay), second visit, 15 min ($50 copay) and she is also charging me $50 for the report. :blink:

Guess what I had to pay for the report? $175.00 and t psych. wanted in a check right then at the end of this visit! I was told before hand this was the deal! Ya gotta go with the flow...

Ok, I go for my Psych Eval this coming Friday and I am terrified! A friend of mine told me that she just met with a Psychologist and they asked her questions and that was it but my surgeon's nurse coordinator said that the DR or Pyschologist/Psychiatrist had to go by a test I think it was called a MMPI-2 test with over 500 questions. I googled the test questions and I just do not see how that relates to weight loss surgery but I guess my surgeon knows best and it's his protocal and procedure and I will roll with it. Anyone else had to do this? Thx

They want to make sure you're not mentally ill...

During the info-session at the hospital, the surgeon talked about how she had a pre-op consultation with a patient who was telling her about problems with her neighbor, etc... Later, after the psych evaluation, the therapist called the surgeon back to say "Hey, do you know you had someone psychotic in your office? There are no neighbors..."

The point being, if you're a well-functioning person with normal issues (even depression or whatever) you'll be fine. If you're barking at trees at night, you might think twice. :)

my psych visit took about 15 min. he weighted, asked if i had depression. and spent 5 min telling me i would have to pay him 45 for him to write a nice report to the lap band clinic (on top of my co pay 12). i waited until i was sure the clinic received this report and called tricare to complain. they said i should only had to pay the 12 dollars and nothing else. they sent him a letter saying he owed me monies. but at least i got my letter.

What people fail to recognize this fat surgery industry is a multi million dollar industry, so most doc aren't going to say no unless u r truly mentally I'll or have significant cognitive deficits. I figured out in life that you have to play the game one times as ridiculous as it is. For example I had to have chest x ray for my pre op prep, I asked why I have no health conditions or indications of pulmonary dysfunction, in fact I haven complimented by my Dr. For my strong lung capacity,( in a swimmer). The only explanation I got was well everybody has to have one? Really can we say waste of $ and time... Hence the welcome to the corporate cash cow of the fat industry.

For an individual who states that they are a mental health professional who does not seem, at least from what you have disclosed to date, to display any motivation to have the surgery other than for cosmetic reasons, ("don't like double digits") you certainly do seem to lack valid understanding of the medical rational for the pre-op testing. Your writing shares what appears to me as excessive criticisms of the medical professionals who are involved in aspects of the surgery approval process.

If indeed you are in a medically related career as a licensed professional, you should understand that if something is not documented, in medical and allied professions, "it never happened". We learned that during our training, Yes, it may superficially seem to be unnecessary to complete some of the testing, but you should be able to understand the principle of CYA (cover your a**). As with any surgery, there will be risks, and all patients are required to sign documents prior to surgery acknowledging the associated risks. Another CYA.

Do you really believe that "people fail to recognize that this fat surgery industry (as you referred to it) is a multi million dollar industry"? Do you really believe that the only reason for the psych eval is to rule out the possibility that the patient has "u r truly mentally I'll or have significant cognitive deficits." Give others credit for the intelligence they possess.

From an earlier post you made, I believe you have no real understanding of the reasons why or how the MMPI and any subsequent editions of it are constructed. The psych eval is also looking for any potential factors for development or history which relate to eating disorders, along with mood disorders which might need to be monitored post op if the patient experiences possible mood swings.

This is a community of supportive individuals who are on a journey of health restoring and life saving weight loss. There are many individuals who post about their success, and share their wisdom gained from the success with others who are working towards their goals. Your bashing of the medical community is unnecessary. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including me. In my view your writing seems to infuse a toxic and skewed perspective to others who are not as fortunate as you view yourself.

Just saying...IMHO. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my stating that my psych eval was $300 up front, it was just a statement. I understand after reading all your comments about the eval what it entails and do think it is necessary as this is my beginning of a life long journey. Didn't mean to start arguments on here or negativity in any sorts.

Donna,

I see no problem of telling people what your bill was for the psych. eval. Your in no way offending me. You either pay the bill or you don;t. Most people pay if they want this lap band surgery bad enough, :)

There are a number of reasons I can think of why you'd need a chest x-ray:

1. They're placing the band around the top of your stomach, and probably want to look at your organs before slicing you open to guide where they're going to put the band
  2. As a baseline, to compare in case you have problems later
  3. To make sure you don't have an infection before general anesthesia. Anesthesia slows breathing, and you can't cough with a breathing tube in your throat

After reading the posts esp by "buffalogirl" just saying was a bit shocked. As a registered nurse I was thankful that my doctor wanted me to have a pre-op chest xray and labs this is completely normal practice esp in pts who are obese or over 40 etc. You are going under general anesthesia and what may have been normal or undetected before could come up w/o knowledge. As for psych eval my physcian informed me that the 500 question test was to determine "gender issues". What doctor would willingly/knowingly do surgery on a pt w/ underlying psych issues? Malpractice is at an all time high...some people no longer work they sue. CYA not a problem here. I applaud doctors who protect themselves. Def do not stress and be totally honest it is informal visit and if someones intelligence is insulted? All I can say is wow.....

I passed his eval, thats all I care about! I know my gender too ;)

Thanks everyone for your input, guess I get to look forward to a 2 hr test huh? hm... This helps a lot what everyone has said, guess everyone's doctor is different with their requirements. Guess mine doesn't want me to go Psycho on him, lol, no really it's not a laughing matter, I need to understand the ramifications of body changes, emotional changes that I may experience but I do understand that and I do understand I will feel different after losing weight. Someone asked me the other day if I was doing this to get back at my ex-husband, wow, what a blow that was to me. I've been divorced 11 months and was married for 25 years and he had an affair, yes she is skinny and yes she is younger than me and I'm 46 but I replied to this person that "no, I'm doing this for myself, I'm slowly dying a slow death if I do not get a handle on my eating and that I needed help". My ex and I remain friends, I know that's weird to some of you but we've moved on with our lives and he is now engaged and I'm happy for him. Right now, today, I need to focus on me and my life and how I can get better and live a long healthy life for my family. Thanks again for everyone's input....Donna

Please do not say any of the above during your psych eval. They will focus to much on that like it is a bad thing. Mine took something I said about my preteen daughter and almost didn't pass me, because he thought I would be too stressed to deal with the band and my child. But I got my child the help she needed from another professional, and all is well. If I had done what that freak wanted my child would be on meds and not learning how to deal with life on her own.

Just be careful of what you say in the pysch eval!! Be happy and joyful it helps.

I passed his eval, thats all I care about! I know my gender too ;)

You have missed the reason that the psychological tests are administered as part of the pre-op process. There is no pass/fail. These tests are for assessment purposes only.