Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Next Stage...mushie Foods..lots Of Questions

I had my SX on the 26th and just started Mushie foods....what should I eat? I'm afraid to eat things like oatmeal, or mash potatoes because it's a carb. What is everyone else eating?

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I've been eating tuna blended in the food processor with a little light mayo, boiled eggs, chicken salad, scrambled eggs (but I have to add some ketchup to help it go down better), cooked carrots

Thanks for the input. Was it hard to eat the eggs?

For the first 2 weeks after my liquid stage, I lived on mashed potatoes and gravy. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I still eat carbs - albeit small amts. My husband is so anti - carbs - he lost 80 lbs on a lo carb diet over the past 3 yrs so he won't eat bread, rice, Pasta, Beans, even fruit is a no no. The reason I got the band was so that I wouldn't have to diet again. And I don't. I eat whatever I want - just in very small quantities.

My dr is anti carb also. But he keeps telling me to keep up whatever it is I'm doing, so I do!

Good luck!

Marci

For the first 2 weeks after my liquid stage, I lived on mashed potatoes and gravy. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I still eat carbs - albeit small amts. My husband is so anti - carbs - he lost 80 lbs on a lo carb diet over the past 3 yrs so he won't eat bread, rice, Pasta, Beans, even fruit is a no no. The reason I got the band was so that I wouldn't have to diet again. And I don't. I eat whatever I want - just in very small quantities.

My dr is anti carb also. But he keeps telling me to keep up whatever it is I'm doing, so I do!

Good luck!

Marci

..ive read a lot about carbs and i agree with you. im trying to establish now what carbs i can eat. i must say though... i love Beans, and chick peas. these are high in Protein, arent they? im thinking that i may, at least for winter, have cassaroles with a lot of beans in them. whats your opinion on chick peas and beans ect?/ do you have them?

Even if you do eventually decide to follow the anti carb route at this stage of the game it is a bit early. Typically mushies include things such as mashed veg(including potato), oats, weetbix, soft stewed fruits etc. This stage is about healing more than it is about weight loss so it is Ok to eat foods now that you may decide to cut out later on.

Greek yogurt, runny cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, tuna mashed with a boiled egg, ff pudding, hummus, fish, cottage cheese, Schwans turkey/pork meatballs.

I agree with Elcee, this stage is for focussing on healing. Once you're healed and ready for regular food, If you remember to eat your Protein first, then veggies you won't have a lot of room for the carbs anyway. Good luck!

I had my SX on the 26th and just started Mushie foods....what should I eat? I'm afraid to eat things like oatmeal, or mash potatoes because it's a carb. What is everyone else eating?

There are hidden carbs just about everywhere...even in milk and vegetables. My surgeon advises to make good food choices, and avoid anything "white" ( bread, sugar, and essentially anything which is over processed). I have become a label reader even worse than I was before my surgery.

He also wants his patients to avoid anything which has added sugar in the list of ingredients. There are naturally occurring carbs, such as the ones you find in fruits, but as those carbs are occurring naturally, they are OK to have, but in moderation.

While on mushies, I used the food processor for just about everything...tuna (packed in water), chicken (I added a small amount of plain broth for flavor), sweet potatoes, cantaloupe (amazingly refreshing when pureed!), strawberries, banana, cooked carrots, and broccoli. eggs I only scrambled, and chewed very well. I remember I was allowed a small amount of all natural applesauce and low fat cottage cheese.

Beans and lentils, along with oatmeal are considered "complex carbs", and I am allowed only one serving of these carbs a day.

I hope that this information helps...every meal will seem like a banquet!

Thanks for the input. Was it hard to eat the eggs?

I can get boiled eggs down really easy but I have a problem with scrambled. I like my food super cooked so my scrambled eggs are usually somewhat dry. I've never gotten "stuck" with the scrambled eggs but they go down slow so I add ketchup to make them a little more moist and so far it's been working

I can get boiled eggs down really easy but I have a problem with scrambled. I like my food super cooked so my scrambled eggs are usually somewhat dry. I've never gotten "stuck" with the scrambled eggs but they go down slow so I add ketchup to make them a little more moist and so far it's been working

this morning for the first time i had one fried egg... done in a little olive oil. it was soft and great to eat. no problems with digestion after woods. it was filling for half a day as well . i was getting hungry well before lunchtime.

Thanks everyone. I eat oatmeal yesterday and made a potatoe with tuna for dinner. I guess when the dr said Mushie food, I was only thinking about purée, but Mushie could also mean soft. I made mash potatoe with ground beef yesterday and then blended it....but cold not eat it. It looked so nasty.

I would not have ground beef even blended at this stage to soon.

First week of mushies I had greek yogurt (with fruit) mixed with a hand blender and added milk because it is pretty thick (did add splendra because greek yogurt is sour. Also look for 0-2% fat as some brands are full fat and have lots of calories.), cottage cheese and ricotta cheese (made an Italian bake with smooth spagetti sauce from a jar). Second week of mushies I had canned chicken mixed with low fat laughing cow cheese. Microwave until warm.

Does everything have to be put in a blender or food processor? Someone at the doctor's office was talking about getting baby food...

..ive read a lot about carbs and i agree with you. im trying to establish now what carbs i can eat. i must say though... i love Beans, and chick peas. these are high in Protein, arent they? im thinking that i may, at least for winter, have cassaroles with a lot of Beans in them. whats your opinion on chick peas and beans ect?/ do you have them?

I think beans and legumes are a great choice! Lotso Protein and they're complex carbs - meaning they won't be used as sugar right off the bat. They'll give you energy first. I love beans and legumes. I love making a big pot of lentils and eating them for days. Good luck to you!

Marci

My best go to meal is two eggs, scrambled with 1/4 cup of over the moon milk and a couple tablespoons of lite shredded cheddar. They are pretty wet that way, and I end up with 23 g of Protein (counting the tsp of butter that I use in the pan). I spice them up with salt and pepper, and still enjoy them. I also made a big pot of meat sauce, and serve it over ricotta. But I am one step up from mushies- stage five- ground and puréed.

weight at start of pre surgery diet - 304/current weight 280/surgery 4/10, Follow up 5/1