Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am waiting on my insurance approval for the lapband surgery, but ive been reading so many negative things about it, people having trouble after so many years, im looking at the long term of this should i be this worried and have second thoughts?

i think that most people who have postive experiences after a while stop posting, therefore you only really hear the negative. but as with any major surgery make sure you do your research and see what's best for you.

whatever you decide to do, start living differently. start thinking of food as a tool to live. we all lived to eat and that's not what you want.

I have changed so much in the last 9 months. I went to the seminar, started counting calories,carbs & fats; exercising 3/5 X each week; investigating healthy foods. It has been the most amazing time of my life. I feel 100% better, health issues have dropped to 2 items, no more reflux, no joint pain, no exhaustion, gone is the poor self image.

You have to feel this is right for you, so don't hurry the process. I am happy this has worked out so well for me. But be sure it is right for you too. I look at it as a second chance on life & health. Looking better and wearing smaller clothing is a great bonus but health is my main concern!

Good luck with your decision

People tend to complain more than say good stuff so take it with a grain of salt. If it helps I really freaked out right before surgery but now I am almost a month post op and love it.

Thanks, i really do feel this is the right thing for me ive read sooo much on the lapband for years now, im more than ready for the life change, thanks so much for reassuring me, i will just trust my judgement and not others whos had bad experiences...

As was stated above, do your research, make sure you have a good dr with good after care & make sure you understand the changes you will have to make & stick with. It is a big, major decision, however I am thrilled that I did it. Also, be aware that you still may have "head hunger" and/or emotional issues that may need to be addressed.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

I agree with all that has been said. I was banded a little over two weeks ago and had my post op today. I will probably be on this forum less and less over time. It has been a great source of information but I find myself on here all the time and I need to get away from my computer and get out working in my yard among other things.

I still plan to read and post but it's time to get on with my life. I think this is probably common for most of us on here.

I've only been banded since April 16th so I can't really say too much about long term (yet) but I believe this has been the best decision I have ever made for myself. Yeah, reading negative stories kind of makes me nervous but it doesn't mean it's going to happen to me. Every surgery comes with complications that "could" happen but it's more rare for those things to happen. I feel in my personal opinion that this surgery is safe and the benefits outweigh anything else. If I were to go down the road I was going before surgery I'm afraid my children might have had to grow up without me and that upsets me. I had a very unhealthy lifestyle and although I've only been banded a little over two weeks I feel that this path is extremely promising. I did a lot of research before being banded and I have an awesome doctor that I feel completely comfortable with. You have to do what you feel is right, talk to your doctor about it if needed. Good luck on whatever you decide! :)

Medically speaking, I was a mess before the lapband. I was on many prescribed meds for obese related illnesses. One year and a half later I am medication free, my blood work is all normal, no more diabetes, gout, cholesterol issues etc. I'm a completely new person and feel awesome!!!! Don't let all the negative feedback rob you of a new life. Things can happen, but, illnesses steming from being over weight is even more negative than something that may and will help you. It's a gamble and I guess I'm a gambler and hit the jackpot with the lapband. Hope this helps. jake

Thanks so much everyone this site is the best for questions, motivation and answers, i really appreciate the feed back!