Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a 2 nd grade teacher 6 days post op. I tried to return To work today. Bad idea! The gas pain was horrible. I thought the walking would do me good. Yeah, no. I took more pain meds at work than I have at home. Soo I'm going to wait a few more days and try again. What did other teachers do?

I wasnt teaching when i got banded but i just took a full four weeks off for my Tummy Tuck, glad i did. Teaching is very physical. First day back i umpired three games of netball for interschool sports and tomorrow im making my debut as an AUssie Rules football coach, groan.

Thanks for the information because that is why I want to wait til summer for my surgery!! I hope you feel better!!

I planned to be banded during spring break. That helped a bunch, but I still didn't feel myself for another week or so.

I also teach (4th grade) in Kentucky. I had my lap band surgery on Spring Break; but I did need to take an additional 2 days for recovery. So, I did not work for 7 school days (9 days counting weekends) and I was VERY ready to return to work -- had no issues.

Hi there...I had my surgery on the 16th of April. This was my spring break. I was down and out all week. I went back to work on the following Monday but was dying! It was terrible...I teach 3rd grade special education. Needless to say, I suffered thru that day and took the next two days off. THen I went back on Thursday and it was too hard again. I took Friday off and went back to work today. I am very tired and drained but i did feel a bit more productive. I am not sure if I can make it thru the whole week but luckily I have a lot of sick days so if I have to use them I will. We have state testing next week so I cannot be out then so if I need to take a day I will do it this week. I think overall this surgery requires 3 to 4 weeks of recovery especially for a job like teaching we are not at our desk all day. Hope that helps...don't over due it at work...

i took a week off i will also remind you to make sure you take all ur Vitamins and maybe some extra Vitamin C because when i went back to work it was cold season and my immune system was prob weak from being on liquids and surgery that i kept getting colds like crazy from being around all my sick students

I'm not a teacher - I'm a special ed aid for a 2nd grader and a 4th grader with crossing guard and recess duties. I had my surgery on Friday the 13th and returned Monday the 23rd. The 10 days off worked well for me. I normally walk to and from school (a little over 1/2 each way) but have still been having my husband drop me off in the mornings. I find by the time I shower and get ready in the morning I'm a little to drained to walk to school. By the afternoon I am fine to walk home.

I normally walk to and from school (a little over 1/2 * each way)

oops...* 1/2 mile

I was teaching Adult Dental College and I needed to take 2 whole weeks off. I thought I was ok to go back after 1 week but I have dizzy spells and needed more rest. 2 weeks was perfect for me, the extra week was very healing physically and mentally for the new me!

I had mine over winter break, which gave me 2 weeks to recover. Then the first couple of days back were kidless -- I was able to take it slow on those days and ease my way back into things. I would take the rest of the week off for sure. Teaching is a lot of work and hard on our bodies! Hang in there, it will get better!

I am an itinerant teacher of the visually impaired (special ed) in the Houston area. I was banded last week (the 26th) and went to work on Monday the 30th--I had 3 ARD/IEP meetings that I had to attend. My job is slightly different, as I am not in one building with a group of kiddos all day long, I travel between 20+ schools and service students. To tell you the truth...the pain hasn't been too bad but by about 1:00 in the afternoon I am exhausted and really could use a nap. I did leave early on Monday and Tues just to go home and rest. I did tell a few of the teachers that I work with that I had hernia surgery (which was in addition to the banding) and they were much more adapting--especially in the afternoon. I have made a point to find a place to sit and rest during my lunch and planning times so that I can make it through to the afternoon.

Have you told your students that you had surgery and that you are still in some pain and could really use their help? You don't need to be specific about the type of surgery, but lots of times kids will step up and surprise you.